A Hello and intro

L

Larry Fuller

Hello, I'm from the US and am completely new to airbrushing. I'm a retired postal worker but have enjoyed several forms of art. In past times when I had steadier hands and better eyes, I did scrimshaw and metal hand engraving. Pen and Ink drawings and eventually turning wood on a lathe. Which is in fact is how I got interested in airbrushing. Watching some one add color to their wood work with a airbrush looked like it would be a snap. I now know better or at least I have more insight into the equipment and skills needed, so my hat is off to those that work this magic with paint and air. My son is as interested as I, so this intro is basically for both of us. I want to get a Iwata Eclipse gravity brush with the idea of both of use learning with it. But am open to suggestions. We do have a cheap airbrush but I have always tried to use the best tools I could afford to work so a upgrade is needed if we are to move forward. Thank you for the videos on air brushing and the ability to build on your experience, its is a priceless gift.

Regards,
Larry

Welcome home Larry and Son :D
Your son is welcome to join the forum too.
40% off Hobby Lobby Coupon :D It will become your best friend .
make sure to check out the videos on the AirbrushTutor's youtube page https://www.youtube.com/user/airbrushtutor/videos
Look forward to seeing your wood working and even some of the old scrimshaw work

Welcome to the forum Larry. The eclipse is a great brush to start with and will last you a lifetime. Were here to advise and help if you need it so Have a good read and enjoy your stay.

Lee

Hi Larry and welcome from another new guy. Wood is a first love of mine also and have been exploring a lot with airbrushing wood lately.
With your turnings and a airbrush the world is at your feet. Given the price of nice 'pre mother nature made' blanks these days, its a very enjoyable alternative.

And if nothing else, they are simply a gas to play with.

Welcome from New Zealand. This is s solid learning curve! The Iwata eclipse is a great brush that will stand you both in good stead learning. Easy to clean and use, forgiving and has a huge range of tricks!

I would do the HP-CS for sure, but being you plan on working on wood and in the case of doing large pieces you might also consider a bottom feed HP-BCS. Good to see others from the US I was feeling a bit lonely. Lol

Paint on

Welcome from Australia, I'm sure you and your son will enjoy the journey. you wont go wrong with the eclipse HP-CS.

Good to see others from the US I was feeling a bit lonely. Lol
Paint on

I don't know where you've been looking, most of the forum is US lol

Hi Larry, welcome to the forum! You can't go wrong with the Eclipse. Its a great brush to learn with and it will serve you for many years to come.

Welcome from Australia, I'm sure you and your son will enjoy the journey. you wont go wrong with the eclipse HP-CS.

I don't know where you've been looking, most of the forum is US lol
Lol. Everyone I talk to seems to be from the U.K., Holland or Australia. But I will say this, there are a lot of really good airbrush artist on here. You can't go wrong by joining up here.

Paint on

The thing I love on this forum is after 35 years of airbrushing I can come on here and learn new techniques still.

Paint on

The thing I love on this forum is after 35 years of airbrushing I can come on here and learn new techniques still.

Paint on
Yes, I hear you AD, sometimes its not easy shaking off what was known and comfortable but things change.
Better tools/ products and now with the instant global knowledge sharing new products are popping up (like sharpen air)

Thank you for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to seeing all the different type and styles and creations of art work in this huge community. The internet has really expanded the ability to learn and share like never before.

Hi Larry welcome from the UK. The eclipse is a great brush, super versatile, plus you can get both a .35, and a .5 needle and nozzle set up for it, to swap around if needed. Hope to see some pics of your work. I live between Portsmouth and Southampton, both with strong naval and merchant navy connections, and there are some beautiful pieces of scrimshaw in some of the museums from old expeditions etc, which have always fascinated me. The detail with what I presume is pretty basic tools is incredible.

Back