A Slow Start

haags

Young Tutorling
Hi all,

I'm from NSW Australia. I've had an airbrush for about 4 years I think (Sparmax 102). Didn't really do much except some basic stencils printed off the internet. Most of the time it sat in the cupboard. A few months ago I stumbled across airbrush tutor on youtube. After watching multiple clips I was starting to get the bug. Started practicing multiple control and texture exercises as well as skulls to get freehand skill so I can do portraits. Blew up my little ebay compressor after one Sat of painting. After seeing the price of a decent silent compressor I built one out of my fridge and a tool compressor from supercheap.
Last weekend I did my first monotone Diaz portrait. I'm surprised at how well it turned out and how well Mitch has taught me considering I've never met the guy. Now all I think about at work is what I'll paint on the weekend. Thanks to everyone involved in this blog and airbrush tutor. Seeing all the artwork and tutorials has made my progress possible.

I can see a lot of things I want to improve on. Any tips are appreciated

Attachments

• Diaz first try.jpg
    Diaz first try.jpg
    415.2 KB · Views: 32
Welcome from Canada Haggs, from the symptoms you've described, I can confidently say that you have been infected by the airbrush bug :)

Welcome from belfast
I done this same pic couple of weeks ago, it took me four attempts and a lot if help from the guys on here, best advice i got was to reduce the paint right down, i use com-art and for my first three attempts didnt reduce, after a bit of advice from in here i reduced 5:1 water/paint, and just built up layers and i seen a huge improvment
gequgeva.jpg
this was my fourth attempt
a7a7e3ej.jpg
and this was before i reduced my paint

Ride the storm

Welcome to the forum from the US

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Welcome from Calgary. I would try Diaz's portrait again, reduce your paint and go light on the shadows. Otherwise that looks pretty good :)

Great effort and good to see you dragged it back out of the cupboard as you def have some good starting off skill..Keep on practicing and having fun..:)

Thanks everyone,

After reading your response Matty I looked through your diaz post. There's loads of helpful information there I can apply to my own work. Thing is I don't know how I got there. Can you post a link so I can reread again?

Hi Haags, welcome from the uk. I agree with everyone else, reduce more and build up your tones slowly to get a bit more subtlety, but you did a cracking job.

Back