E’tac issues

Greg, hope you don't give up the ship. You have helped me a lot with your post's. If needed, step back and give it a short break. It will work out if given enough time. You are gifted with your talent and would hate to see it be gone.

Richard

This reduces with water. I’ve added plenty to no avail.
I think I’m just going to step away from this hobby for a while, then finish this last commission piece and only paint for myself after that.
Thanks guys.

You are way too goid at this game to just give up Greg, I could understand if it was something that was entirely your own fault or you were constantly making irretrievable mistakes, but you simply had a bad bottle if paint which isn't really anyone's fault, it can happen and for several reasons, I'm a painter by trade and we never expect paint of any sort to last two years, if they even last a year we feel very lucky, the shelf life of any paint at all can onky be guaranteed for those where seal has not yet been broken, after that it is pretty much a lucky bag, you could be lucky and it does last two years or longer or unlucky and it only lasts a month or two, ive had vottles if paint start to deteriorate a most as soon as I opened them but I've also had some that lasted three years or more, unfortunately no manufacturer could swear to a time period after the seal has been broken because as has been mentioned, there are to many variables, not just environment conditions but paints can become contaminated with airborne particles that can have a diverse effect on their chemical structure causing them to dry too quickly or sometimes not at all, water based paints although the safest for us to use are unfortunately more prone to deterioration than oil based, in my job most oil based paint we used used when stored for king periods would naturally form a skin on top of the can which protected the rest of the paint ubderneath, all we had to was cut away the skin, gives good stir and we were ready to go, water based paints didn't afford us this luxury, emulsion paints and other water based mediums being stored for king periods were turned upside down once every month just to ensure that the pigments stayed mixed with the binders and ninimal separation occurred.

I would recomnend you just take a little break, do sonething nice with your family or anything that will relax you, get yourself a new bottle if paint and get back to it when you're ready, it happens to us all and not because we did something wrong, don't deny your huge talent just because if this, I would miss your amazing works and I think I speak for everyone in that respect.

You can't give up Bud! That's crazy! Just some new paint I only get 60ml bottles for colours and 4oz for white and transbase. Painted pretty much every day for 2 years and only recently through them away just because I thought 2 years of use/heat it's time for new ones. A little goes a long way, and I'm sure you live reduced paint too :)

If the pigment is stuck on the bottom.
You can put the bottle in a container with warm water.
Let the paint warm up. (the warmer the paint the thinner it becomes)
And then shake well.

Thanks everyone! I thought I was being smart when I initially bought this paint. I tend to purchase things in bulk to get better prices but I guess I’ll stick with small bottles from now on. I think a big issue with me is I’m kinda feeling overwhelmed. I’ve got a lot of people wanting me to do projects for them and I really don’t have a lot of free time to airbrush. I also don’t give a price for my work. I just leave it up to them to donate whatever they feel. After material cost it usually works out to me making $1 an hour. I use the money for our men’s reach program at church but at that rate I can find a much better way to fund our program. After finishing the current list of projects I’ve promised people I’ll just paint at my own pace for my enjoyment. Thanks again everybody!!

@erwin de pan
I’ve stirred and also placed on a professional paint shaker. It was actually worse after this. I’ll see what the supplier says and then just buy another bottle. Small one this time :D

Thanks everyone! I thought I was being smart when I initially bought this paint. I tend to purchase things in bulk to get better prices but I guess I’ll stick with small bottles from now on. I think a big issue with me is I’m kinda feeling overwhelmed. I’ve got a lot of people wanting me to do projects for them and I really don’t have a lot of free time to airbrush. I also don’t give a price for my work. I just leave it up to them to donate whatever they feel. After material cost it usually works out to me making $1 an hour. I use the money for our men’s reach program at church but at that rate I can find a much better way to fund our program. After finishing the current list of projects I’ve promised people I’ll just paint at my own pace for my enjoyment. Thanks again everybody!!

Instead of commissions why not auction your paintings making it clear that the proceeds go to your men's reach program, I'm sure you would raise far more money, people tend to get generous when a good cause is involved.

Instead of commissions why not auction your paintings making it clear that the proceeds go to your men's reach program, I'm sure you would raise far more money, people tend to get generous when a good cause is involved.
That’s a really good idea!
Thanks Malky!:thumbsup:

That’s a really good idea!
Thanks Malky!:thumbsup:
Yes that's the way to go, or just charge more appropriately, you work is worth more than a $1 an hour and it's having a negative effect on you.
I truly know how you feel as I'm doing the same thing just for a bit more money, I generally get about $10 an hr as it's mostly friends :)

Yes that's the way to go, or just charge more appropriately, you work is worth more than a $1 an hour and it's having a negative effect on you.
I truly know how you feel as I'm doing the same thing just for a bit more money, I generally get about $10 an hr as it's mostly friends :)
Definitely not a get rich hobby is it? :D

That is why I no longer paint for other people . It left me no time to just paint for fun and that old saying would pop in my head when your hobby becomes your job it is time for a new hobby . Being I liked painting too much I just closed shop to everyone. Now I just paint for me :D

Just have to pick your market. Incredibly detailed photorealistic painting on Illustration board $100-$200 maybe. Same things on a motorcyle $1000
far less detailed Quick painting directly on a wall (mural) $25-$30 per sqft= $500 for two to three hours work.
You could size your paintings as inserts for cabinet doors and triple your asking price easily.
Not getting rich but I usually make an ok living. Sometimes I get a long lull and have my broke times.
Granted I sculpt and mold fiberglass or concrete or weld or carve wood or add water features or animatronic type stuff for bigger projects and those are what really get me by as one big six week project can provide a years pay.

I guess I just mean the market for a framed (or unframed) painting sucks. The few people I've seen who are successful with it usually stick to one genre and build a cult following. After a few years all their stuff is sold for high prices before it's even finished.
You can do the same work on just about any given object and it'll usually sell better. ( I think thats why @Robbie Kass paints toilet seats).

Greg and macd, you guys are both way more skilled artists than I am, and I usually manage to get about $60hr for anything I touch which makes me say I would blame your market strategy ( or love of just doing it) if your doing it for peanuts. @Malky had a great idea of using a different strategy. Same for Herb, he just cut the incoming money out of it altogether and does it just for the love of the hobby. ( my take on what he was saying)
When you're frustrated with it though, instead of giving up on the field you can just apply yourself to it differently.

Please don't take this as some kind of lecture, It's just opinion from my honest observations and mostly intended for onlookers of this thread.
This is all just my own viewpoint from my own experiences, your mileage may vary.....

Absolutely don’t sell yourself cheap.
If someone pulls a face when you tell them the price just ask them if they would work for less than $x per hour (insert average hourly rate applicable to your part of the world )
This hourly rate only works when you are experienced, nobody is going to pay a newbie for 15hours work to paint something that an experienced artist could do in 3

Don't forget too if theyre talking to you they already want what you offer, any decision is likely based on their own idea of what they can afford or want to pay even though they have no idea whats fair. Well...I'd like to buy a new car for $2k too.
Fair prices for art are simply not common knowledge.

Another big thing
Offer signed prints! Youll sell ten for $20 loooooong before you'll sell the original for $200

Years ago when I had a photo studio and color lab, I had a lady that painted beach scenes and she would bring me her original and I would make large copies of it. She would sell the copies for $$$$$ and if they wanted the original it would be very expensive. Not sure how many originals she sold but she did good with the copies. That was her only income and she lived pretty good from the art shows she attended.

Back