Acrylic advice

J

JiroPaints

Hi all,

Hoping to get airbrushing for the first time ever very very soon.

Have an Iwata eclipse hp-bsc and planning to use regular artists acrylic paints with this...
Keen to hear from anyone with experience doing this, which mediums are best, will water work etc??

Thanks!

Ahh:( I wish to you greatest patience possible if you intend to use tube acrylics.

When I started my ABing, I did that mistake you're going to make now. I bought Daeler&Rowney System3 and Marabu. So you see those were not crappy products.
To say shortly, I had terrible tip dry, build up of the paint inside the nozzle, when AB started to throw paint only when pressing the trigger not even pulling it back. "Normal" work started from 0,3mm nozle, 0,2mm was a nightmare.
I've diluted them with water, mixture of water and window cleaner, mixture of water and pure alcohol. Water was distilled.
I've made experiment. Poured some water into some paint in one cup and pure alcohol into another. Left to seat them overnight and haven't mixed. Water dissolved the paint and alcohol has not. So you can make your conclusion what work and how with acrylics.
To save your nerves and your cash, I'd advise even not to think about tube acrylics. Just buy normal AB paint and enjoy painting, but not destroy your nerve system.
People here call good AB paint E-tac, Wicked, Createx Illustration etc. You'd better chose among these. Haven't used any of them, so can't say exactly. Personally, from this forum members descriptions, I'd try E-tac first.
I use urethanes and can say they're great, no issues with them. But work with them requires charcoal respirator and ventilated studio.

Hi all,

Hoping to get airbrushing for the first time ever very very soon.

Have an Iwata eclipse hp-bsc and planning to use regular artists acrylic paints with this...
Keen to hear from anyone with experience doing this, which mediums are best, will water work etc??

Thanks!
Yup - you can spray it but there is no comparison to decent paints. Add golden high flow to your list. Don't skimp on paint!

Please follow the advice given :) I have been airbrushing for 1 1/2 years and tried using my liquitex tubes with the air brush medium and it was just drama which ended with a big clean up!!

Etac Etac Etac!!!!! It is so beatiful- finest art product I ever used- white straight out bottle through .18 - 10 psi or so can not be beat.

He may not distribute it now, but he developed it. Took him 5 years to perfect it. Good Paint . I use it exclusively with no worries. Guess we all have our own preferences with paints. Doesn`t hurt to try something new now and again. It`s all good experience. Cheers mate.
I thought he was just sponsored by DNA?? I do use it, it's great,and cost effective. I love there solvents too - Saphire Blue is just beautiful :)

Thanks for all the replies!
very helpful, as was very close to messing around with my regular acrylics (mainly as I already have lots...)

slightly frustrating to find there isn't a medium for making them AB ready!

shall check out all suggested brands when I have a bit more free time....
who has the best colour range? I want some bright primaries and good fluorescents!

very helpful, as was very close to messing around with my regular acrylics (mainly as I already have lots...)

who has the best colour range? I want some bright primaries and good fluorescents!
I am promising you - ETAC customer service is superior - if there is problem you will have new bottle at your door so fast it will make your head spin. The flow is incredible like water- I do believe they have flouroesent as well. 0 tip dry- 0 clogging.

Liquitex do make airbrush medium for tubes but as stated the pigments are too course - if you have no option for the time being you could use it and strain it, just means more headaches!!!

As for paints it's all personal preference and dependant on what surface you intend to paint on!!

I'd say it smells like nonsense at a time while real users of artists' acrylic say it won't work. But we talk about those in tubes. Common sense can be if AB acrylic paint is mentioned there.

This is just my opinion peope will disagree with me - wicked and etac are world's apart I do not favor wicked at all unless .2-.3 then is fine Micron no go

Back