Airbrush Seals

B

Barry

Hi, I am new to this site and airbrushing and I need a little advice. I was given a compressor and 2 airbrushes for christmas. Both air brushes are chinese. one is a side gravity fed and the other is siphon feed. My problem is with the gravity fed airbrush, I searched online on how to clean the airbrush which involved removing the nozzle cap and nozzle and drawing the needle from the front of the airbrush but after a couple of time the seals are stretched. So I bought some seals online, trying to do things cheap lol and bought some cheap ones, it didn't work and I broke the nozzle so I bought a new one with the seal attached. I went back online and followed Iwata instruction which are better and I was able to clean the airbrush then draw the needle out the rear of the airbrush to clean that, however I started getting bubbles back in the cup again and it looks like the seal for nozzle is breaking up after only two uses. I am using white spirit to clean the airbrush after using enamels and then washing through with water. Is the white spirit damaging the seals because this is ridiculous if I have to replace seals after every two uses.

Thanks Baz

Baz
Several things can cause bubbled in the cup.
Dried paint in the nozzle
Cracked nozzle
Poor seal on the crown cap(cap that covers the nozzle)
The needle bearing seal is designed to keep paint from getting into the trigger area of the airbrush.
First thing I would suggest is getting some bees wax and rub it around the threads where the crown cap screw on. That will seal the thread from leaking.

The white spirit is definitely eating your seals since these are cheap rubber as is the norm with Chinese brushes I'm afraid, it may sound ridiculous but these Chinese brushes are designed to do nothing other than cause you grief, I'm sorry to say that this is only the start of many problem they bring you.

Baz
Several things can cause bubbled in the cup.
Dried paint in the nozzle
Cracked nozzle
Poor seal on the crown cap(cap that covers the nozzle)
The needle bearing seal is designed to keep paint from getting into the trigger area of the airbrush.
First thing I would suggest is getting some bees wax and rub it around the threads where the crown cap screw on. That will seal the thread from leaking.

Thanks. I have just checked the airbrush again as I put the seal to the nozzle cap in cold water as it had stretched and it seemed to work last time to return it to its proper size and it hadn't shrunk back, but out of curiosity I tried the airbrush with out the nozzle cap seal and it works, no bubbles. I didn't remove the nozzle so that seal must be good. I will have to see what happens after I use it next.

Thanks Baz

The white spirit is definitely eating your seals since these are cheap rubber as is the norm with Chinese brushes I'm afraid, it may sound ridiculous but these Chinese brushes are designed to do nothing other than cause you grief, I'm sorry to say that this is only the start of many problem they bring you.

I had a feeling the chinese brushes weren't great but as I hadn't done airbrushing before seemed like a good starting place. I plan to get a better quality brush later on as I am enjoying it.

Thanks Baz

I assume you are talking about the small O-ring that sits between the main airbrush and the cap that holds the nozzle in place.
If so just get the bees wax and put it on the threads and you can leave the o-ring off.

Baz if I may ask where do you live? State or country ?
Reason is places like Hobby Lobby and Micheal's craft store have a 40% OFF COUPON on any item in the store , which means you can get a great airbrush for about what you paid for the one you have.

Baz if I may ask where do you live? State or country ?
Reason is places like Hobby Lobby and Micheal's craft store have a 40% OFF COUPON on any item in the store , which means you can get a great airbrush for about what you paid for the one you have.

I am on the Isle of Wight, UK

Maybe some UK folks will chime in and give you the goods on where to buy affordable airbrushes , Most of us fully understand doing this hobby on a budget.

I had a feeling the chinese brushes weren't great but as I hadn't done airbrushing before seemed like a good starting place. I plan to get a better quality brush later on as I am enjoying it.

Thanks Baz

There a thread here called "What airbrush to you use" if you check out that thread you'll get an idea of what others are using and you be able to familiarise yourself with the different brands, what is best for you will be determined by what it Si you want to paint, the iwata HP-C seems to be the preferred choice for beginners being a good all round workhorse thingy of a brush, although high end badger airbrushes actually can cost less than some low end other brands.

If you find something you think you might like, run it by the guys here and they will put you straight as to whether or not is suitable or could be found cheaper as well as any possibility of special offers that may going on.

In the meantime feel free quiz the guys here over anything at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too started with a set like yours.... save a few quid mate get a decent brush.... H&S, Iwata, Badger are the main ones... Set a budget and see whats available within it.... You wont regret it and you will improve much faster. Its not worth asking which brush is best coz we really dont know.. we all have own opinion and its all down to you, your budget and your taste!

Take into account price of spares too. Good luck with your choice!

Hi Barry from across the water! I'm on the opposite side of the Solent!

Firstly as has been said the chinese brushes are usually a bit of a bust. However beeswax could keep you going until you have funds for a branded brush. When the time comes to get one ask here first and let everyone know what type of painting you're interested in doing. i.e automotive, fine art, fabrics etc. You will probs get several different recommendations - as rick says we all have our faves for various reasons - but it will help narrow the field to ones that would be suitable, and you will know what to look for and decide what suits. Then when you have decided, we can help point you in the direction good people to buy from (@Mr.Micron - you and your 40% off coupons lol. Us Brits can only dream lol lol lol)

Second what type of paint are you using? If it is waterbased then you don't need to use white spirits, I just use water, and a soak in airbrush restorer for any stubborn bits that may lurk. (when you get to grips with paint and reduction ratios blockages become less of an issue) If you are using Uro's, then Iwata (and maybe other brands - not too sure though) have teflon seals which work great with solvents.

Thirdly, you may be finding that you are getting a bit frustrated with your brush. Unfortunately that is the nature of the beast. You can get usable knock off ones, but usually they take a lot of nursing along, and you will spend more time trying to get it to work , and wondering if it's you or the brush that is at fault, than actually painting. This can really affect your ability to learn as it is really hard to focus on technique. Many of us have been there, so we know what it's like. *fun times!!!* You will be doing yourself a big favour if you get a better brush when you can, it will speed up your learning process infinitely, and if you are already enjoying it, then when you have a new shiny brush, you will love it!

Last edited:
Welcome Barry. Great advice from @Squishy so read it carefully. I don't remember the brand name or model of airbrush I started out with but it was major crapola!!. I got so frustrated with it I threw it away and lost interest in airbrushing all together....that was about 18 years ago! If I had just saved me money and bought a decent workhorse from the beginning then who knows where I would be today talent wise. So if your serious about airbrushing then my advice is to do whatever it takes (minus anything that will get you shot) to get a decent airbrush.

Back