Always wanting to learn more...

D

D&D Designs

I've been airbrushing for a few year's primarily rc lexan bodies. I average about 60 bodies a year. I use all iwata equipment - (2) eclipse hc-bs, air from iwata smart jet.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Welcome from Australia,
Where do you call home, and what paints do you use ?

I look forward to seeing some pictures of the RC

Welcome from Australia,
Where do you call home, and what paints do you use ?

I look forward to seeing some pictures of the RC
I use wicked color by createx and as of late I'm having problems with paint adhesion on lexan. Was curious if a hardner may help.
929426feb113220a542fb45aa7fb8ab6.jpg
197efc8de005f9838c694497105421cd.jpg
f41cf9ccac1a61f1d57fbbdac780cb6a.jpg
c55581640e7ad1d9646217f18d5da3f7.jpg
65e1dcf2c972ee323df34f8daab9f550.jpg
b25ddec5751cf5d0adaf0f53748a2f4b.jpg

a bit of stalking shows you as being in Canada, so yes, @Mr.Microns suggestoin of the bulldog adhesion promoter would be the recommendation.

Very nice looking cars ! They'd definately stand out

Time to put your remembering hats on gang. . . . who was it here that did the RC bodies ??

Last edited:
Hi there! Welcome to the forum. Those are some sweet paint jobs. 60 bodies a year huh? I doubt I've painted 60 bodies in my life!

Doesn't Createx make something that promotes adhesion to Lexan?

Time to put your remembering hats on gang. . . . who was it here that did the RC bodies ??
So I have determined that in my hast to speed up production, I have been using a heat gun to dry in between coats and I believe that I have made the paint dry to quickly causing it to lose its bond with the lexan.

createx however does recommend an adhesion promoter on hard plastic, and autoborne clear is recommended for hard plastic and says it doesn't require additional adhesion promoter or to be scuffed when spraying wicked onto it. Thats the route id go without having actually tried it.

If you've never had problems with the adhesion, i'm wondering if they've changed something with the moulding process, maybe just a good soap and water wash, followed by a good degreasing

So I have determined that in my hast to speed up production, I have been using a heat gun to dry in between coats and I believe that I have made the paint dry to quickly causing it to lose its bond with the lexan.

Good call...Heat is not recommended for wicked...just air itself...
cheers

Very nice work. Sorry, can't provide any insight on the adhesion problem, have never had any issues, but not using a blow dryer on the bodies seems to make sense...

Welcome. Nice looking cars, there’s some great designs in there. I haven’t tried Wicked on plastic myself. But it doesn’t need heat to cure. I’m pretty sure coastairbrush.com has the Createx Hard Surface Application Guide as a free download on their site. That may have some useful info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Polycarbonate has a few quirks that a lot of people are unaware of when there is a large difference between the surface tension and the interior of the sheet cracking can proliferate at the smallest bump and your choice of the wrong solvent based primer can exacerbate this. Another issue it has, is cracking from moderate loads over extended periods of time. An example of this is using bolts or tapered screws to hold it down I use Ult1mate TKS 001 it is a adhesion promoter that works well for me on lures and on there PC bibs It is Aussie made and developed check out their facebook page below.
https://www.facebook.com/Ult1mate-431101560298974/

Polycarbonate has a few quirks that a lot of people are unaware of when there is a large difference between the surface tension and the interior of the sheet cracking can proliferate at the smallest bump and your choice of the wrong solvent based primer can exacerbate this. Another issue it has, is cracking from moderate loads over extended periods of time. An example of this is using bolts or tapered screws to hold it down I use Ult1mate TKS 001 it is a adhesion promoter that works well for me on lures and on there PC bibs It is Aussie made and developed check out their facebook page below.
https://www.facebook.com/Ult1mate-431101560298974/
That was my understanding of the bulldog on polycarbonate, makes it crack into pieces upon drying.
Just never personally tried it on an RC body so...

Last edited:
Back