Anyone know this gun.?

RebelAir

Air-Valve Autobot!
Anyone recognize ....? cnt find much about it, a friend down the road gifted it to me find, a very 50,s feel.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 65
Anyone recognize ....? cnt find much about it, a friend down the road gifted it to me find, a very 50,s feel.

It is indeed from the 1950's, it is a touch up gun from Duplicolor, it originally came in a box with a small diaphragm compressor operated from the spark plug socket of a car, the compressor was also used to pump up car tyres in the same way, and the gun itself could derive it's air from any of the cars tires, the original glass bottle was actually square as can be seen here, but it could also accept Duplicolor's small round bottles of paint, I'm assuming it's an empty one of those you have on it now, it's bottle had an imprint of a little mechanic man on it, if you had the whole set still in it's box this might have been worth a few bob, might be worth asking your friend if there other parts belonging to it still hanging around.

It is indeed from the 1950's, it is a touch up gun from Duplicolor, it originally came in a box with a small diaphragm compressor operated from the spark plug socket of a car, the compressor was also used to pump up car tyres in the same way, and the gun itself could derive it's air from any of the cars tires, the original glass bottle was actually square as can be seen here, but it could also accept Duplicolor's small round bottles of paint, I'm assuming it's an empty one of those you have on it now, it's bottle had an imprint of a little mechanic man on it, if you had the whole set still in it's box this might have been worth a few bob, might be worth asking your friend if there other parts belonging to it still hanging around.

Cheerz m8, will do..The rest may be lost but its a really cool little gun LOL. Tah for the info..Was even stoked its survived in some shed for than long, would look smick polished up :) Did take a look and although similar they have some differences..Same design obviously but mine has different writing..maybe early chinese rip off LOL..

That is so cool. Would look neat, polished, wall mounted and turned into a lamp. Probably wreck its value though, but love stuff like that.

@Squishy LOL...A lamp?...Please explain LOL...Nah Would be nice to see if it will work..Gotta open it up and see whats going on inside,would be nice to restore. Will ask maybe on that forum Andre and have a squizz..tah. Its so retro and just haven't really seen anything quite like it..More research needed, was maybe some Aussie company replicating the one Malky showed..Dunno, been in an Aussie shed for many years so got to think it was out of some cheap set sold here as we get sent the cheap excrement LOL..The mystery deepens LOL

@Squishy LOL...A lamp?...Please explain LOL...Nah Would be nice to see if it will work..Gotta open it up and see whats going on inside,would be nice to restore. Will ask maybe on that forum Andre and have a squizz..tah. Its so retro and just haven't really seen anything quite like it..More research needed, was maybe some Aussie company replicating the one Malky showed..Dunno, been in an Aussie shed for many years so got to think it was out of some cheap set sold here as we get sent the cheap excrement LOL..The mystery deepens LOL

If it's a replica it doesn't necessarily have to be a fake or cheap copy, it could have been made under licence by agreement if Duplicolor didn't have a factory in Australia, what does the writing say on it? it could even be that Duplicolor copied it and you have the original.

Last edited:
@RebelAir been looking around Rebel, and after some intense scouting I found out a little more, although I can't see it clearly I'm going to guess that your model has the name "Edelstone" or possibly "S.E. Edelstone" on it, Edelstone was the founder of duplicolor in 1938 and applied for patent on the design of this spray gun in 1949, so I would think that you have an ealier model and therefor, maybe more valuable if it does have the name Edelstone on it, I would assume that when Duplicolor started to make it big they switched the name on the gun to the company name, it's interesting that all those years ago this dude saw fit to buy genuine colors of known cars and trucks trucks at that time and give owners the means to touch up damage on their own vehicles, he bought the paints from a company called Sherwin - Williams founded in 1866, who were the main suppliers of automotive paints and are still going strong.

Here is one for sale on e-bay, you don't need to buy it but you can see what the set consisted of.

I've had lot of fun digging all this stuff up, I'm confident you have an original piece and if so, it's definitely worth a damn good rummage in your friend's garage to see what else there is that might belong to the set, more particularly the little compressor which I've seen and it looks very very cool indeed, considering the period it all looks pretty futuristic, kind of makes me think of American diners :) cool to think that there could have been at least one these little spray gun sets sitting next to the tyre iron and jack in the trunk of a 52 Cadillac, and maybe it was pink:thumbsup: being born in 1958, this was one amazing journey:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dug a bit deeper too m8..Ie rubbed it a bit lol..Its got "exactone" written on the side and a pat app 15549 marking on both sides next to the embossed exactone..it doesnt come across as cheap, quite heavy and wondering if they did have a company down here or sumfin making them..Could even be pre that duplicolor..Can't see the point of the patent stamp otherwise but may be a latter copy..Not sure..See what you can find Malky LOL and cheerz for digging..Will go have a read and look at what you posted..by the looks, may need to rub some more.

Dug a bit deeper too m8..Ie rubbed it a bit lol..Its got "exactone" written on the side and a pat app 15549 marking on both sides next to the embossed exactone..it doesnt come across as cheap, quite heavy and wondering if they did have a company down here or sumfin making them..Could even be pre that duplicolor..Can't see the point of the patent stamp otherwise but may be a latter copy..Not sure..See what you can find Malky LOL and cheerz for digging..Will go have a read and look at what you posted..by the looks, may need to rub some more.

So exactone could just be a name they gave to the model, seems strange it's the last four letters are the same as the last four letters i the guy's name, ;)but definitely some a little further investigating required:)

I found another patent for the same gun but looks even more like the one you have, Sigmund applied for both patents with his co-designer Albert L Jenks, I am totally convinced that the name on your model is just a the model name and not the factory, what's also interesting id the the name Exactone seems to be a little play on the words Dupli and colour, i.e. Duplicate Colour = Exact tone which was Sigmund's main goal and the origin of the name Duplicolor to provide car owners with a means of matching their car's colour/tone exactly, I think the model you have was made before the other patents ware accepted, therefore. still pending at the tie your model was made, there was/ is a Duplicolor in Australia so it was most likely made there, email them and ask what they know, but doubt anyone would have dared to just copy it so close to it's original form.

US patents all have six digits so I don;t know if the last digit is work off or hidden under grime, or if there is an Aussie patent office using only five digits for registration.

If I search for Exactone, all that comes up is a computer company called "Exact One" but it seems that there were two different kits available and it could be just the name of one of those kits, the original prices of the kits were $2-59 and $2-99 in 1950, I wonder what a micron cost back then, lol

Yer the name aspect is a bit intriguing when you think on the worldplay..I did look up for Aussie patents and couldnt find a listing but was just a free search..Pretty sure the numbers complete, bit worn on one side but the others pretty clear..Either way no doubt its got some interesting history, cheerz for what ya found out :)..

Back