Atlantis airbrush?

It looks like a mixture of HP-100C (main body and paint cup) and HP-101 (back handle and part with lines between the body and the handle). Internal parts (mechanisms) of 100 and 101 models are slightly different.
You can say if it's old original Japanese AB when you'll get it. For me it looks like old Japanese. But never heard about the brand.
I'm curious what it is...

It looks like a mixture of HP-100C (main body and paint cup) and HP-101 (back handle and part with lines between the body and the handle). Internal parts (mechanisms) of 100 and 101 models are slightly different.
You can say if it's old original Japanese AB when you'll get it. For me it looks like old Japanese. But never heard about the brand.
I'm curious what it is...
The handle makes me wonder if it has the screw like the Olympos Micron in the back? I will take it apart & take pics when I get it.

Here's the pictures.
I wanted to take them apart to show parts side by side, but never could. 101 is loaded with paint.
You can see the screw like on micron and C model.
101 does not give the possibility to regulate the spring tension.

P1011079.JPG P1011080.JPG P1011081.JPG

I agree that it looks like old(er) Japanese stock, rather than modern knock off. Possibly branded in some quantity? for a short period of time... Be interesting to compare side by side with the Olympos and HP-C that you already have.

You FB friends with Gerald Mendez? He may be one to ask, as he has a crazy collection, and a passion for AB history...

I agree that it looks like old(er) Japanese stock, rather than modern knock off. Possibly branded in some quantity? for a short period of time... Be interesting to compare side by side with the Olympos and HP-C that you already have.

You FB friends with Gerald Mendez? He may be one to ask, as he has a crazy collection, and a passion for AB history...

IMG_6123.JPG

Some of the older Iwata hand pieces were numbered also...

Yes, the good news is to have it for free!:)
The adapter looks like for black thin hoses from Badger or other brand.
You could solder the crack. Though it would also work with small amount of paint. It's also possible to sand down the cup to the place where the crack begins so it would be modified brush:) Just my thoughts I'd experiment as I usually do;)
Have you tried its performance? How is the quality compared to your old Iwata and Olympos?

I can guarantee that it wasn't made by Olympos or Iwata in Japan. They were/are the only airbrush manufacturers in Japan. Olympos is still for sale in Japan and on an English website and their prices are not crazy like Iwata. You get what you pay for :)

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but I think I can shed some light on what this is.

I'm pretty certain these were made by Sogolee (in Taiwan?) back in the late 80's or early 90's , they are often sold in Sogolee boxes.
They were made and sold under various names including as said here Atlantis, Siki, Simons, Superior and maybe some others.
It's possible they were named and produced for Artshops to sell as their own branded airbrushes as DJ Simons is a big artshop on the Hackney Rd in London and Atlantis is also a big artshop on Bayford St London.

Yes they are a knock off but to my eye seem to be good quality ones. They use the same 1.5mm needles that Rich use as opposed to the 1.151mm needles used by the cheap Chinese airbrushes of today. The chrome is also good quality. They do seem to use a nozzle with a slightly larger thread than a standard Rich, if anyone can suggest a replacement it would be appreciated. They also came with instructions and a full parts breakdown suggesting that at some point you could get spares for them.

These are different animals to the Chinese AB130 airbrushes that are all over Ebay. Although I haven't had one to check it seems they use different nozzles and needles, they also have different castings for the body and are finished differently.

These were made in the same series as DaveG's Sogolee HP-101 featured on his Airbrush exploration page back in May. In fact the instructions were for the HP-101 on one side and the HP-102 on the other.

I have a couple, an AB300 which depnding on how you look at it is either a clone of a Rich AB300 or an Olympos HP-100c and one of these HP-102'sHP102.jpg

Last edited:
A little more odd information that suggests some of these Sogalee's are a fair bit diffeent to the usual Chinese ones. Just measured the thread sizes on the nozzle and compared them to a new AB200 Rich.
The Rich uses a Nozzle thread of 1.68mm or 0.066 of an inch. The Sogolee uses a thread of 1.95mm or 0.077 of an inch or 5/64ths. A cheap airbrush that uses a 1.15mm needle uses a nozzle with a thread size of 1.74mm or 0.0685 inch.

These measurements are across the threads using a digital micrometer so not perfect and I don't know enough about small threads to know what standard they are or if they are metric or imperial but they are a course thread and possibly a JIS (Japanese Industrial standard) thread which I really know nothing about.

A little more odd information that suggests some of these Sogalee's are a fair bit diffeent to the usual Chinese ones. Just measured the thread sizes on the nozzle and compared them to a new AB200 Rich.
The Rich uses a Nozzle thread of 1.68mm or 0.066 of an inch. The Sogolee uses a thread of 1.95mm or 0.077 of an inch or 5/64ths. A cheap airbrush that uses a 1.15mm needle uses a nozzle with a thread size of 1.74mm or 0.0685 inch.

These measurements are across the threads using a digital micrometer so not perfect and I don't know enough about small threads to know what standard they are or if they are metric or imperial but they are a course thread and possibly a JIS (Japanese Industrial standard) thread which I really know nothing about.

Just going off the examples I have seen in person, this particular vintage Sogolee was produced in Taiwan. It is possible they were done by Densei Air (Taiwan's version of Fuso Seiki ;) - one facility that produces many name brands) - but, I have found no real confirmation of that - just that they were produced in a facility that produced many other "brands". Taiwanese manufacturing is a good step up from typical Chinese manufacturing, so it is kind of moot to draw direct comparisons. The more recent Sogolee offerings I have seen look as though they were probably being produced in mainland China.

Now, for measuring threads... I really don't want to get into typing it all out - Metric threads are measured in terms of "pitch", or the distance between actual threads, where SAE are generally measured in threads per inch. Diameter is the other factor to determine size. Just guessing on what i have seen in the past, I suspect that your no-name Chinese brush is supposed to be the same thread as your AB200 . I would suspect either nozzle would screw into either brush... There are not a whole lot of different thread pitches used in Asian brushes, but rather many seem to be quite common among various brands. I might even speculate that nozzle manufacturing could happen in a common facility. The Sogolee does have a larger nozzle thread that I have not spent any time trying to match to anything else (yet).

Back