Badger Krome review

S

shadow2462

I tried to do a video on this but had some issues with it so had to resort to text w/pics, also let me state that any information given in this post is my opinion and experience alone and is to meant to be the only view or opinion.

20150807_115506.jpg This is a side by side contrast between the Badger Velocity and full review of the Badger Krome.
As you can see, they are very close in appearance but as for price the Velocity sells on average for around $79.99 US and the Krome is aprox. $149.99 US First question is it worth it? Answer: its a matter of opinion. Here isan exploded view of both brushes to see the differences. 20150807_120838.jpg As you can see they are still very much alike. The Velocity uses a .21 mm needle and nozzle set up as well as the Krome but the Krome gives you the additional ability to use a .33 mm needle and nozzle for when you need to cover larger areas.

Now Badger advertises the Krome to have a "taller" trigger, however as you can see in this side by side view of the triggers they are exactly the same, my trigger from the Velocity has a pad I installed to raise the height. 20150807_120929.jpg All of the trigger assembly parts in the Krome have a "glide coat" to help reduce drag. I can tell you that just out of the box the Krome has a more solid feel and the trigger does have a smoother flow to it. Here is a pic of the trigger internal differences. 20150807_121717.jpg IMO the changes and intricate pieces do not only make it more of a pain to fool with it creates more teeny pieces to lose. Now I have seen different people mod their Velocity with Krome trigger internals and I have done it for test purposes only, and can attest that it does in fact work but the truth is that IMO I don't see where it would be a truly worth it because the Krome does what it does because it was designed to do so. Now with that being said here are the parts that one would need to purchase to "turn a Velocity in to a Krome" theoretically. 20150807_134921.jpg Now with all that out of the way here are the results for Krome (out of the box) vs. the Velocity. 20150807_131249.jpg The only thing I have painted in the last 6 months was my PP and hands are shakey, but you can see there is not very much difference between them. Both the Velocity and the Krome are capable of even finer detail in the right hands.

So there you have it, a true side by side and hopefully I have given all the info needed.

Thanks everyone, I tried to give an honest non biased review even though all of my brushes are Badgers. I wish I was able to show the full range the Krome is capable of ... maybe someday. At some point I might purchase an Iwata so that I can see why they are a tried and true brand for such a long time, but for now I am happy with my Badgers both in performance and price. There is no sense in buying a brush if you cant afford the parts that need to be replaced under normal maintenance and or the occasional attack from Mr. Murphy!!! (murphy's law)

Thanks everyone, I tried to give an honest non biased review even though all of my brushes are Badgers. I wish I was able to show the full range the Krome is capable of ... maybe someday. At some point I might purchase an Iwata so that I can see why they are a tried and true brand for such a long time, but for now I am happy with my Badgers both in performance and price. There is no sense in buying a brush if you cant afford the parts that need to be replaced under normal maintenance and or the occasional attack from Mr. Murphy!!! (murphy's law)

If you do get an Iwata, I'd recommend the Eclipse CS. I have been using mine more and more lately. It is rock solid and very versatile. I can get some damn fine detail out of it too. I got mine from Japan on Amazon for like $88. It took a few weeks on the slow boat, but it was well worth paying about half price of retail.

If you do get an Iwata, I'd recommend the Eclipse CS. I have been using mine more and more lately. It is rock solid and very versatile. I can get some damn fine detail out of it too. I got mine from Japan on Amazon for like $88. It took a few weeks on the slow boat, but it was well worth paying about half price of retail.
Same here, I got an Iwata hp cs thanks to Jeff's honest opinion, I got it from amazon, although mine cost 8 dolares less. And I am happy with the hp cs, I can see some major differences on the hp cs and the velocity, I like the trigger on the velocity better than the hp cs. The cup and trigger on the hp cs are too close together for my preference, keyword here "my" preference. The needles are stronger on the hp cs than the velocity. I have bump the hp cs needle a couple of times on the paper and no damage so far. The same thing has happened with the velocity and the needles have bent on the first bump. The Badger needle are softer so any contact can cause them to bent. So now I am very careful.
Thank you shadow for your opinion and have a lot of fun with your new toy.

Back