Badger Sotar 2020 on order

G

GMuxx

I've had my eye on a Badger Sotar 2020 for a while and saw that the cheapest option was to buy one from Amazon US - but until I checked this evening they were out of stock. As soon as I saw they were in stock I went and threw my money at it. Considering that locally in the Uk the cheapest is around £160 I think I had a bargain at just short of £95 with delivery and import duty fees. May have to wait a while for it to arrive but so happy I managed to get one. All I need now it to source an air hose adaptor ☺

Wow someone has there priorities straight good work :thumbsup:vi hope you love it when it arrives. I have been told by the other half that I'm forbidden to purchase any "airbrush and or anything to do with airbrushing until the festive holiday is done" so I wait patiently saving all tips and all change I can grab to buy with any luck 3 new brushes after Christmas. Iwata hear i come :D

It's now 4 days later and my package has arrived in the country and it cleared customs early this afternoon. I doubt it will be here before Christmas but secretly hoping it will be - I'm like a big kid lol

It's now 4 days later and my package has arrived in the country and it cleared customs early this afternoon. I doubt it will be here before Christmas but secretly hoping it will be - I'm like a big kid lol
lol im the same GM, im waiting on a pack of pencil erasers and im all excited, sounds like ya got a good bargain [emoji106]

It's here! It took just 8 days. Unfortunately my air hose adaptor has not arrived yet...boo

So I've had a little play with my new toy. The first thing I did was to strip it down to get to know how it's put together and to lube it up a bit. I decided to go the whole hog and took the entire nozzle assembly apart, carefully of course. I was surprised to see some small metal shavings in two of the three holes in the nozzle head (part 20-109) like it hadn't been properly cleaned out when drilled. I took a small inter dental brush and worked them loose and removed them - I can't imagine it would have been ideal to the air flow lol. There was also some burring in front of the needle collet which I also removed.

I then reassembled it, fitted the air hose adaptor and a quick release, and ran some water through it. At first I didn't think it was working properly but then looked closer and realized how finely it was spraying. Satisfied all was working I then tried some wicked detail black, reduced 100% with w500 and set about testing. Oh my god! It really is fine. I have a ton more control than with my cheapo brush and can maintain a steady stroke quite easily. The paint adjustment screw works very well in limiting how much paint it throws out. The trigger tension is nice once dialled back and it does not take as much effort to push down for air as with my previous brushes.

Overall I am very happy with it, although for an airbrush that is supposed to be Badger's top of the range I would have liked to not have to pick small metal pieces out of it lol

Now I need to practice, practice then practice some more. Hopefully I will actually paint something one day

That is the only thing I can see wrong with badger, seems like they put their time and money only in the parts that count, when I received my Krome (basically same parts as Sotar,(diff body), it had a gouge in the bottom of the rear body that unscrews that they had just chromed over top of, plus the finish is rough where the cup meets the body, I have had a lot of trouble out of mine, but many people swear by the Sotar and .

That is the only thing I can see wrong with badger, seems like they put their time and money only in the parts that count, when I received my Krome (basically same parts as Sotar,(diff body), it had a gouge in the bottom of the rear body that unscrews that they had just chromed over top of, plus the finish is rough where the cup meets the body, I have had a lot of trouble out of mine, but many people swear by the Sotar and .
It really is a shame as the Sotar does spray beautifully

It really is a shame as the Sotar does spray beautifully
I still love my Krome, even though I use my eclipse a lot lately, but I broke it out the other day and it worked great, some days it does some it don't, all though that's prob on me and my skill and stress level at the moment!lol:mad:

I'm glad you like the Sotar. I have had one for just over a year. I love it! I also have an Iwata HP-C+ with the same size needle. I just ran the same batch of Wicked detail white through both brushes to compare. I was able to get better detail with the Sotar without even trying. I do like the Iwata, but it doesn't give me the same action as the Sotar. That being the case, I will find myself reaching for the Sotar for fine detail. To be fair, I started with Badgers and am new to the Iwata line. There is a slight bias happening here. Good luck with yours.

I have one on my wish list at Amazon. Unfortunately, we are having to replace our hot water heater so it will probably be awhile again:(

Back