I first started by prepping, priming and laying a white base on the 18x18 mini fridge substrate I chose for this project. I then printed out a large picture of my reference photo, positioned it and laid graphite transfer paper beneath it and traced out the image. next i hazed the lines with white to lighten them so you would not see any remaining lines once the portrait was complete. i began mixing a lot of white with some black and a drop or 2 of blue to cool the gray tone and got to work starting with the darkest areas first. after i finished that tone i added a few more drops of black and some purple to the mixture and continued in the image below. I slowly move darker as i continue. its important to remember your color theory and add color from the opposite end of the color wheel if your mixture becomes to rich with a color you are adding. for example if it becomes too purple you can add yellow to neutralize it, or with red you would use green a mixture of the other 2 primary colors. here i added some of the fleshy tones where his make up has been wiped away. i wanted to add that before i added darker colors. always work from your darkest to lightest color in each area. a drop more black and some blue and worked over some of those fleshy tones above i added more black and some blue and continued going darker. I don't usually use any candy in my portraits but the reds in his make up were pretty vibrant so i decide to use some red candy reduced with intercoat clear so i could build it up a little slower without adding too much too quickly. i should have taken another photo before this one, but here i moved on to his hair starting with green, white and and a little red to mute the greens intensity, then added more green and black and worked that over the darkest areas with consideration to return some of the highlights after i added all the dark green. above i revived some of the highlights with a yellow, white, green and a drop of red. after that i added more yellow and white and continued to lighten some of the brighters highlights. here i used the printed reference as a mask to protect the face and hair. i wasn't too concerned with every little detail because i intended to use a lot of black to wash out his suit and draw more attention to his face. next i started in with a couple drops of black and completely diluted the rest of the mixture with inter coat clear (which is a clear base, not an actual 2 part clear. very important to know the difference) so i could work very very slowly without going too dark.. I continued to use more black with the solution as i moved to his suit to return the focus to his face as i mentioned earlier. i used the large printed copy of the reference photo again as a mask to shield the artwork and used white to clean up all the over spray. then i used white mixed with inter coat clear to return some of the highlights in his face. I sprayed over the whole piece with inter coat clear to prevent the tape from pulling up paint when i masked it for the blue Kandy. i cut about 1/2 inch from the perimeter of the printed copy so i could make so i could carefully tape it over the portrait to prevent the blue kandy from contaminating the artwork. next i used my vinyl plotter to cut paint making material and cut the letting and added texture to it to make it appear like the blood had dried thicker in some areas and took it back to the booth to clear coated it all with a catalyst clear.