Beginner paint kit

W

wagspe208

OK, new airbrush, new stuff... now I am looking for a paint I can grow with.
I will be mainly a hobby/ model guy. I use a lot of lacquer based products in the building. (airplane dope). It is lacquer based, thinned with lacquer, etc...
What would be a compatible paint, good color selection, not to hard to figure out..
BTW, I do have experience with "regular" spray guns, thinning, etc.
Thanks

BTW, first project, electric rc plane, instrument panel, cockpit, etc.
And main color.

What AB did you end up getting? :)

I don't know what would be a good brand other than to suggest experimenting a bit? It's all about finding the paint that you like best.

What AB did you end up getting? :)

I don't know what would be a good brand other than to suggest experimenting a bit? It's all about finding the paint that you like best.

You're obviously busy driving so i'll help you out Jurien,
"GMAC valve and the Grex genesis xgi" is what was stated in one of his last posts....

As for paint, well thats a whole new bucket of trouble lol

Wicked/wicked detail will definately grow with you but there is a learning curve in regard to the reductions PSI etc.

I would strongly suggest just a few bottles of com-art / golden high flow in primary colours while you get to grips with the new toy. Once you know how it should spray you have a better grounding for using other brands that have more of a learning curve.

Dont get sold 'Createx airbrush paint' its designed for textiles, a large nozzle and high PSI, not for detailed art work

What kind of materials is this plane made from? I would recommend a good hobby paint, like vallejo or tamiya? I havent had a chance to paint a model yet.

The model is balsa wood, sig "nitrate clear aircraft dope" applied, thinned 50/50 dope to thinner to seal balsa wood.
The model is then covered with Sig "silkspan" (similar to tissue paper). Apply 2 or 3 coats of Sig nitrate dope to fill weave and smooth weave in "silkspan".
It is then smooth as a baby's butt!!
So, any paint that coats and flows and is base coat compatible..
Nitrate dope.... https://sigmfg.com/products/sig-clear-nitrate-dope
Silkspan..... https://sigmfg.com/collections/covering-paints-and-dopes/products/sig-silkspan-tissue
So, not a "plastic" model. It should not absorb paint... it is a hard surface. After the "silkspan" and "dope" is applied.. it is pretty damn hard... smooth....

I have the Grex Genesis XGi with .3mm tip.
Also ordered the Grex .5mm FTK5, .5m fan spray cap with nozzle kit..... www.grexusa.com/grexairbrush/products.php5?id=TFK-5

Attached is a pic... so if I have to go detail gun HVLP for the main part... no big deal.. but I have the pilots headrest, and an instrument panel... and then fades that will be airbrush...
YOU GUYS ROCK

PS, after silkspan and 2 coats of "dope" it is sanded with 400 grit... so it is pretty smoof!!

plane7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The local hobby shop has a great selection of Model Masters paint... Testors brand I believe...
Some planes need to be "fuel proof". The fuel contains nitromethane and methanol. This one is electric, so no issue there. The nitro and methanol in unburned form is hard on paint!!

So... for practice I went to hobby lobby... close by... and picked up a wicked primary kit with 4030, some 4012, and gun cleaner. Came home, disassembled gun, cleaned, put back together, mixed paint. I was surprised how thick it was (compared to the automotive stuff). I put some water in the gun, and it put out a lot of water!!?? HMMM.... long story short.. I sprayed it... upon reassembly, when the needle hit the packing o ring, I stopped... I ready how fragile it was... so... always flowing paint DOOPPP
disassemble, clean, reassemble, ready for round two.

You lost me a bit with your story...
I took gun apart to clean before using it. I did not have the needle seated forward... so it was way back... paint would flow evein if I just pressed trigger down.
I did not figure out I had not seated the needle properly until AFTER I was finished spraying paint... so paint always flowed FULL FLOW

Createx also has the AutoAir line of paint. I use this all the time. A great selection of colors and types of paint. Pearls, Iridescents, Candy2o , bases, Transperants, semi and opaque....
It sprays great and can be used to base and for detail. AutoAir has the biggest color and type selection out of all the Createx line. Possibilities are endless....
Cheers

Good advice from all so far however, i would get a couple of test pieces of balsa painted with the dope and test spray any paint you plan to use just to make sure you dont get any reactions from the dope/paint combination.

Lee

Thanks all for the input. I used the 4030 just to see if it effected required reduction rate with 4012.
I sprayed the wicked over a test piece of balsa, silk, dope... no reaction.
The "dope" is pretty tough stuff... Should be relatively easy to paint over... But I sure will test.
I am building a "fleet" of 3 of these little bas*****.
I was contemplating epoxy paint... heavy, though. Many guys use rust oleum out of a spray can...
base coat, clear coat is to heavy (I know sounds idiotic)
I really appreciate all the help!!

What I learned today:
1) The Wicked aluminum is an odd bird.
2) Unlike what I am used to..full regulated pressure is available at the hit of the trigger... regardless of pull back... (maybe I always set up spray guns to limit full spray... so apples and oranged)
3) I need to get auto paint thin out of my head.
4) This little brush sprays awesome!
5) I am NOT ready for eyeball art yet!

Back