Best "All around" performer

• Thread starter Wayne Wickers II
  • Start date
W

Wayne Wickers II

Dead set on getting a Custom Micron - SB for detail illustration. I've been a user of the Vega 2000 for years, which doesn't get any love on here at all! Wondering the BEST "all around" brush? Was thinking maybe the Iwata Eclipse HP-BCS? Or I've heard good things about the Badger Anthem 150. There are TONS of brushes in that $80-$140 range to be considered. Need to buy two brushes so wondering what my second would be. Thanks everyone.

If your getting the Micron SB, I'd say the Eclipse SBS, I love mine. Unless you are planning to cover real large areas, you may not want a siphon feed. Gravity and side feeds are generally better for illustration type work.

The Eclipse kicks sand in the face of an Anthem. I really did not like mine. But get the CS. It has a 0.35 nozzle which makes it very versatile.

Im not doing JUST Illustration, that's where the CM comes in. I want all around textile, shirts, guitars, murals coverage. Don't necessarily NEED siphon, but would rather have side or bottom feed than gravity. Don't like the cup on top. Just a preference. Great tip though ZA! Thanks.

So far Iwata Eclipse SBS with the side feed and 0.35mm setup looks the best. ANYONE have anything else to add?

Also, isn't there some sort of lube or something everyone uses now on their needle and parts? I used to just spray it all with WD40 but I guess that's not how its supposed to be done.

So far Iwata Eclipse SBS with the side feed and 0.35mm setup looks the best. ANYONE have anything else to add?

I had HP-SBS. It's the most versatile AB. You can use it on every possible surface angle including ceiling. Iwata has any bottle you can imagine and HP-SBS can be used both as siphon feed and gravity feed depending on cup (bottle) you use.
It can be good choice for you. CM is for details and HP-SBS for everything else:) Eclipses have inexpensive parts and you can change from 0.35 to 0.5.

Also, isn't there some sort of lube or something everyone uses now on their needle and parts? I used to just spray it all with WD40 but I guess that's not how its supposed to be done.

Never use WD-40 in spaces where you going to make you paint works as it can cause you such very "pleasant" results on paint (clear) surface as fish eyes.

I have a bcs and a cs eclipse... i want an sbs the bcs is .5 versus the other .35 the amount of detail the eclipse range offers along with easy tear down and wider coverage. I dont even touch my other brushes anymore. My next two brushes will be an sbs and if i like side feed, a side feed micron.

I tried hard to believe Iwata was all hype. Then i bought one.

How long is a piece of string? LOL

Being an avid Anthem user I will state that its a amazing airbrush, especially for versatility but as mentioned others may not like it..All airbrushes are the same, especially in the mid to top end, in the right hands they all have their strengths and at times weaknesses. I have used an anthem for nearly 12 years exclusively and only stopped using it because it finally needed a new needle LOL..I'm pretty happy with 12 years of use and it has painted anything from the smallest I can do to large murals and never needed to change a thing on it beside PSI. But its a heavier gun and with a 3-1 needle it takes some getting used to and not everyone will succeed with it as a primary gun.

I hate advising to someone "buy this"..Just because it suits me doesn't mean it will suit another and what I may be able to do with it may take someone 12 years to get too because hold any airbrush for long enough and you will learn to make it sing, some can just sing better for some than for others and finding what suits you is as easy as going to a store, a friends place or an introductory Airbrush lesson and ask them to test drive a few..What suits your hand and what you find comfortable is a challenge we all face and mostly find different outcomes on because we are all indeed different...

If though you already have an airbrush, the versatility you may desire is just something opposite to what you already have so you can have the best of both worlds, if ya mainly run gravity, get a siphon and if you mainly have a siphon, get a gravity and that will get you some versatility just due to the nature of each..good luck.

Smth I've forgotten to say about HP-SBS:) It has convenient body to hold due to the shortest possible lenght as it can be, which btw gives also more control. It concearns all SB models. So CM-SB and HP-SBS could be like close relatives in feel but not very much in control and details you can achieve with one:)

I'm looking at getting one of these darn HP-SBS brushes and need some clarification.... I look on fleebay and the ones from Japan are coming in with 0.3 mm needle nozzle and the there selling them in Australia with 0.35mm needle nozzles. Surely there 0.35mm. Am I right or is there a difference?

You're right about the size. It's 0,35. I saw the 0,3 mm size only this year for the first time. Everytime as I know Eclipses have 0,35 and 0,5 mm nozzles.
And I'd say 0,3 and 0.35 isn't the same:) I don't think Iwata has changed its policy about Eclipse series:)

That portrait sold me! That was amazing, with an SBS too! Thanks for all the insight you all just saved me $400. Any advice on the lube though if not just WD40?

That portrait sold me! That was amazing, with an SBS too! Thanks for all the insight you all just saved me $400. Any advice on the lube though if not just WD40?
Per per a suggestion by @AndreZA about a month ago. I picked up some Iwata Spray Gun & Airbrush Lube. Works great and no gumming up so far.

I don't like SB's as I am not comfortable holding them, but eclipse all the way! I just prefer the cs! It's an awesome brush, the ultimate in versatility IMO. It was my only brush for almost 3 years, and did everything from super fine lines to large coverage. It's the dogs danglers!

I am all the way a Badger girl!! Im now the proud owner of 3 Kromes!! (Just recently got my 3rd Krome lol). I have an Iwata, that I purchased....hmm a month ago? And its a nice gun, great details with it, but for me, the trigger is so damn short...maybe cause im just spoiled by Badger ;)

Super lube... the last person who used WD 40 was excommunicated... The 0.35 eclipse is great and you can also get the
0.5 needle and nozzle set to fit - I have both. Bit of a pain changing but it gives a very versatile brush. Go the Iwata!

I'm looking at getting one of these darn HP-SBS brushes and need some clarification.... I look on fleebay and the ones from Japan are coming in with 0.3 mm needle nozzle and the there selling them in Australia with 0.35mm needle nozzles. Surely there 0.35mm. Am I right or is there a difference?
Quite possibly just not getting down to the detail of 0.35 in their marketing...

Back