Best choice?

Thanks Mel.. I have looked at Iwata's and yes they probably are the best, but with budget and cost of parts the H&S is more viable for me. I will however see if I can maybe get a better model in a 0.4 flavour!

Thanks Mel.. I have looked at Iwata's and yes they probably are the best, but with budget and cost of parts the H&S is more viable for me. I will however see if I can maybe get a better model in a 0.4 flavour!
Yes I think you will be much better off with the Evolution and it gives you far more options in the future. I believe the 0.4mm setup will be much better for your AutoAir paint too as well as being better to learn airbrushing. I've never used AutoAir but I have read that it can be difficult to spray and the larger nozzle setup will help. Good luck :)

In the begining - as with most Ab'ers I went the way of the "Cheapie, knock-off style" airbrush.
I bought an SCA (super cheap auto) airbrush kit that came with a .35 needle / nozzle set-up.
A copy of the Iwata hp series of AB, similar size shape, trigger design, etc.
Sure I got it to spray paint and some inks, etc, but it sure made control difficult.
I then bought a Veda 180 mac valve controlled model - again a cheapie, but I been so lucky with this one as I can get it to work fairly well.
Then, through a bizarre twist of fate, I was able to purchase an Iwata HP_CS.
Boy, am I in another world or what.
Unless you have experienced this complete change of EVERYTHING for yourself, I doubt you would believe that such things are even possible.
I can understand why the frustration gets to so many who wish to learn this wonderful hobby, and why some give it up -believing that they have no talent and that they couldn't ever learn such apparently "magical" skills.
I'm not saying that it's all in the brush - 'cause we all have some talent [latent or otherwise!}, but when you "feel" first hand, and see for yourself what the difference is, I wondered why I ever bothered with those other brushes in the first place.
In conclusion, my advice would be - get the best you can afford [ regardless of brand - imho a matter of personal preference ] and start with something in the .35 - .5mm range.
This will allow you to cover both ends of the learning curve you're about to embark on.
Above all, enjoy whatever it is you do.
We are all our own worst critics.:laugh::laugh:;)

Decided I'm gonna get a evolution 2 in 1. Around £130 the cr version has teflon seals so think its the baby... Just need to get another £129 together!

Sell one of your invisible man paintings to the Tate Modern, and you can get all the brushes you need!

Good stuff. You will not regret it. But the normal version also has teflon seals. But only one where the CR+ has three and is chrome plated instead of nickel plated.

My favorite is the AL Plus. It costs more, but I love the weight of the thing. The CR+ and AL also come with the better head assembly with the pronged needle cap. It's much easier for removing tip dry than the regular threaded cap.

Just me 2 pence worth as I do 1 actually really like badger....... For the same price (total of 129 including shipping and taxes) you can get a badger krome imported from the states? Just my 2 pence worth.......

Just me 2 pence worth as I do 1 actually really like badger....... For the same price (total of 129 including shipping and taxes) you can get a badger krome imported from the states? Just my 2 pence worth.......

Liked the look of this... until I saw the nozzle size.. I dont think I would find one of them if I put it down on a white sheet.

Its decided... well almost.... I'm gonna go for the H&S Evolution..... Now its between the Evolution 2 in 1, the Evolution silverline 2 in 1 or the Evolution CR 0,4. I do like the CR, but mainly coz of the needle cap, I can buy it for £4 so i might end up with one of the 2 in 1 kits and a tip!

Still need a little more cash.. but probably have enough by end of the week... Tell the wife.... after its delivered lol

Its decided... well almost.... I'm gonna go for the H&S Evolution..... Now its between the Evolution 2 in 1, the Evolution silverline 2 in 1 or the Evolution CR 0,4. I do like the CR, but mainly coz of the needle cap, I can buy it for £4 so i might end up with one of the 2 in 1 kits and a tip!

Still need a little more cash.. but probably have enough by end of the week... Tell the wife.... after its delivered lol

I would doubt the CR+ air cap and pronged needle protector are £4. The pronged cap may be that price, but you can't use it with the standard Evo air cap. You would need the proper air cap that is used with the pronged needle guard and a gasket for the cap if it doesn't come with one. There are different air cap assemblies to go with the respective nozzles. One air cap for the .15 and .2 nozzles, then a different one to go with the .4mm.

To shorten all that crap above, if you want the pronged cap, just get the CR+ because it already comes with all the right parts.

Last edited:
Haha after ya realize iwata are um cough ***** LOL, get a Badger.Go a Patriot if you want a bigger needle size, great starters gun and you can convert it to high detail needles real easy with their superfine conversion kit..My 2 cents are iwata are way over priced, have half the service badger does and parts are way to costly..Lets see if that brings the Iwata lovers outta the closet ;) LOLOL..

But it is a personal thing, started off with iwata and must admit it did well enough until I moved to a better brand LOL...

If you have all sorts of wierd chemicals in your skin that you do not know about, I did not, all guns that are not chrome will discolour as they are nickel plated. The ones that will not is ALL Iwatas, H&S CR+ models and a lonely Badger Krome.

I'm not in the closet, so I can't come out Lol Hi my name is Squishy and I'm an Iwata lover.

No probs m8, it is a tough closet to be in, darn door jams up a bit sometimes LOL, 10 step program is in the mail and on its way, hope you can hold out long enough LOL

Thanks for input guys.. getting the evolution 2 in 1 TODAY... Thanks Mel for the info on Ultra... Made me step up a little! Guess the shyte brush excuse is gonna be no good any more!

Back