Bought a CM-SB Hooraay!! Came with a cracked nozzle Boo Hoo!!

M

Melbee

Hi Folks,
I finally bought a CM-SB because it was going for a very tempting price and I couldn't resist.

So it just arrived and there's me all excited opening my new airbrush, getting out my magnifying loupe and inspecting my new piece of joy.

Then AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! there's a flaming hugh crack in the nozzle. I thought the needle looked like it was sticking out a long way when I pulled the trigger right back. I always pull the trigger back to bring in the needle tip when I'm taking off the needle caps. Anyway the needle tip looks fine but on close inspection I can see some scratches a bit back from the tip where the needle comes in contact with the nozzle. I can't undo the head, it's too tight so I don't know if there is any other damage inside.

You need to click on the picture to be able to see the damage.
Split nozzle CM-SB-2.jpg

I'm so disappointed and upset it's put me off my whole day. I really pushed my finances to be able to buy it and now this! It's like buying a new sports car and when it's delivered it won't start.

I've sent photo's to the supplier and he's just emailed me saying he is going to contact Iwata to find out how they will resolve the problem.

This really, really, really SUCKS!!
An unhappy Mel

I'm pretty rough on my equipment. I always try to have two or three back up nozzles and needles in stock. Nothing worse than having a brush fall out of a holder or dropping it cause I stepped on the hose and then having to wait a week for parts. Hopefully you don't have to order yours like I do and can get it working quickly. Have fun, I'm sure you're gonna love it when you get it going!

What a bummer, hopefully Iwata will take care of you and fix the problem asap.

Good luck, Jim

I'm pretty rough on my equipment. I always try to have two or three back up nozzles and needles in stock. Nothing worse than having a brush fall out of a holder or dropping it cause I stepped on the hose and then having to wait a week for parts. Hopefully you don't have to order yours like I do and can get it working quickly. Have fun, I'm sure you're gonna love it when you get it going!

Hi Rees,
Well I only just opened the box of my new Micron, I checked the needle and nozzle to find the nozzle damaged straight from the box so it must be a factory fault. My heart and stomach and excited joy all went flying down a hugh well of darkness and to be honest I actually felt physically sick.

I just heard from the supplier that the guy at Iwata who has a say on it, is not there until Monday, so this is going to take a long time. IT SHOULD BE WORKING NOW!! Dam it!!!
All I can say right now is .............. WHY MEEEEEEEEE!!

Thanks Jim but it looks like it's going to take a while.

what a pain!!! hope it gets resolved in the appropriate fashion..... let us know of your experience with both the supplier and iwata and mention your involvement on the forum as im sure they wouldnt want too many people knowing about poor customer service?
if you end up getting a refund check out foxystudio.com who have the sb2 for about 340 euro

I understand this looks a like an oversight by Iwata (being that you seem to have bough this brand new) but WHY can the supplier give you a new airbrush being that you just purchased the brush from them? If they have another one in stock, they should replace it and then they should deal directly with Iwata. It's not like you bought this months ago, right? I understand there's a warranty for this and all but if you just purchased this, I would ask them to replace it now and have them talk to the guy at Iwata.

Anyway, just a thought...

Last edited by a moderator:
what a pain!!! hope it gets resolved in the appropriate fashion..... let us know of your experience with both the supplier and iwata and mention your involvement on the forum as im sure they wouldnt want too many people knowing about poor customer service?
if you end up getting a refund check out foxystudio.com who have the sb2 for about 340 euro

Cheers ad fez I'll bear that in mind if things start to get sticky, I'll probably also make a video and put it on my Airbrush Mel YouTube Channel but first I want to see if they will get this sorted reasonably. I've already been inconvenienced enough by not being able to use it so they better not make my life any more miserable.

I understand this looks a like an oversight by Iwata (being that you seem to have bough this brand new) but WHY can the supplier give you a new airbrush being that you just purchased the brush from them? If they have another one in stock, they should replace it and then they should deal directly with Iwata. It's not like you bought this months ago, right? I understand there's a warranty for this and all but if you just purchased this, I would ask them to replace it now and have them talk to the guy at Iwata.

Anyway, just a thought...

The trouble is galileo he can't replace it with another one from stock because I bought the last one he had and he was selling it cheap because he has the new CM-SB2 model in stock. It's the only reason I could afford to buy it because it was at a reduced price and even then I had to borrow money to afford it, hence me feeling sick when I saw the damaged nozzle.

I'll just have to wait until Monday to hear what the Iwata guy has to say to the supplier about it. Maybe they will want me to send it directly back to Iwata. I don't care as long as they get it fixed soon and it doesn't cost me any more money and that includes any postage costs. Honestly this just really sucks.

Thanks for the support guys :)
Cheers Mel

That sucks Mel but the wait is worth it. Just a few more days and I'm sure all will be sorted. The joy from using it will quickly outshine the sorrow from this.

That sucks Mel but the wait is worth it. Just a few more days and I'm sure all will be sorted. The joy from using it will quickly outshine the sorrow from this.

Thanks AndreZA I'll be hanging on to that thought until it's sorted :)

It's a terrible strain to have it laying there so close and yet sooooo far because it's totally useless at the moment!! I've been telling myself I can't have a CM-SB because I have an Olympos but I just love side-feeds and although I think the Olympos is fantastic!! I really, really miss that it is not a side-feed.

I just remembered that the Custom Microns have the whole head calibrated at the Iwata factory. Obviously if the nozzle is damaged I'll have to return the airbrush or at least the whole Head to Iwata and not just the nozzle. As this is the last CM-SB the supplier had, he cant replace the airbrush so the only option is my brand new but damaged CM-SB will have to go back to Iwata to get a new nozzle and have the head calibrated. Right?

call Iwata for that answer. You should be able to just send in the head assembly(that is all that is matched) and they will replace it. Buuuuut If you send in the entire brush They will tune it up and make sure that the entire brush is perfect. That being said the people you bought it from should be sending it in I seriously doubt Iwata boxed up a Micron with a cracked nozzle.. I feel your pain and KNOW everything will work out

....And thats why I don't buy Iwata LOL..Nah to be fair I would,nt be surprised if the dealer stuffed it up, was it a sealed box? Cause if I was running a business and calibrating the head prior to shipment I would make the last person who touches and calibrate it sign off on it with their mark, a big tick that its calibrated, the date and place that on a sticker on the box that seals the box shut so it cant be opened by dealers to uncalibrate it for me..But thats why I'm not running iwata LOLOL..Seriously though I would take it bake to the supplier and stick it where the sun didnt shine if it wasn't replaced on the spot..I don't know the consumer laws in other country's but here we still have a right of replacement from the supplier but this system of return to supplier seems to be trying to creep in and I wouldnt be surprised if one day it manages to a bit more firmly...Sucks to hear m8 but I would be getting nasty and if it wasn't resolved that minute, I'd go loco on the poor dude LOL

I just buy nozzles not the whole assembly But I know how they are supposed to perform. anyway a buyer should get a working machine and not have doubts about if it is the best that it can be Sooo A place out of the sun should be were it is inserted and a new one provided

That's sooooo frustrating, you get a nice new shiny and can't use it! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR !!!! Hope they get it sorted for you soon hun!

call Iwata for that answer. You should be able to just send in the head assembly(that is all that is matched) and they will replace it. Buuuuut If you send in the entire brush They will tune it up and make sure that the entire brush is perfect. That being said the people you bought it from should be sending it in I seriously doubt Iwata boxed up a Micron with a cracked nozzle.. I feel your pain and KNOW everything will work out

....And thats why I don't buy Iwata LOL..Nah to be fair I would,nt be surprised if the dealer stuffed it up, was it a sealed box? Cause if I was running a business and calibrating the head prior to shipment I would make the last person who touches and calibrate it sign off on it with their mark, a big tick that its calibrated, the date and place that on a sticker on the box that seals the box shut so it cant be opened by dealers to uncalibrate it for me..But thats why I'm not running iwata LOLOL..Seriously though I would take it bake to the supplier and stick it where the sun didnt shine if it wasn't replaced on the spot..I don't know the consumer laws in other country's but here we still have a right of replacement from the supplier but this system of return to supplier seems to be trying to creep in and I wouldnt be surprised if one day it manages to a bit more firmly...Sucks to hear m8 but I would be getting nasty and if it wasn't resolved that minute, I'd go loco on the poor dude LOL

Ok guys, so should I just send the CM-SB back to the supplier and get him to sort it out? Lion-Art has always been very good so I'm very, very surprised to get a CM-SB from him with a cracked nozzle. He has the new CM-SB2 in stock for €325 and was selling this very last CM-SB for €265 which is the ONLY reason I could afford it.

But it doesn't matter what price I paid for it, it should be a brand new, factory fit, functional airbrush as advertised, €265 is still a lot of money!! When I told him in an email and sent pictures of the cracked nozzle he was very surprised and said it was a new airbrush and he contacted Iwata straight away but the guy he needed to speak to is not available untill Monday. Typical!!

I can't undo the head from the body anyway, it's way too tight and I'm scared if I try to take it off I might damage it.

Rebel, no the box wasn't sealed. I bought a Teflon Packing o-ring which Lion fitted in the airbrush so the box would have been open anyway.

That's sooooo frustrating, you get a nice new shiny and can't use it! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR !!!! Hope they get it sorted for you soon hun!

Thanks Squishy,
I went through soooo much anguish trying to decide whether to buy it or not but in the end I thought €265 was too good a price to pass up and it is my total dream airbrush being a side-feed Micron. So I went for it dispite my financial better judgement. When it arrived and I did my usual new airbrush inspection only to find the nozzle had a stonking great crack in it you can imagine my devastating disappointment!! I'm just gutted and heavens knows how long it's gonna take before it's sorted.

Part of me just keeps saying "See I told you you shouldn't have done it!!!!!" :(

Well, it seems like a very interesting coincidence that the gun had a lower price and that you got it with a cracked nozzle. No conspiracy theorist here but, as I said, a pretty interesting coincidence. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Ok guys, so should I just send the CM-SB back to the supplier and get him to sort it out? Lion-Art has always been very good so I'm very, very surprised to get a CM-SB from him with a cracked nozzle. He has the new CM-SB2 in stock for €325 and was selling this very last CM-SB for €265 which is the ONLY reason I could afford it.

But it doesn't matter what price I paid for it, it should be a brand new, factory fit, functional airbrush as advertised, €265 is still a lot of money!! When I told him in an email and sent pictures of the cracked nozzle he was very surprised and said it was a new airbrush and he contacted Iwata straight away but the guy he needed to speak to is not available untill Monday. Typical!!

I can't undo the head from the body anyway, it's way too tight and I'm scared if I try to take it off I might damage it.

Rebel, no the box wasn't sealed. I bought a Teflon Packing o-ring which Lion fitted in the airbrush so the box would have been open anyway.

Sounds like the supplier is at fault then and damaged it, not iwata. Probably reason why "wait till monday" was thrown out because since the supplier opened it, the fresh factory warranty on parts is out the window and falls on the supplier. Regardless this shouldn't of happened, but there will be a delay because basically iwata will say "you broke it" and supplier will be the one that has to pay for the parts and will try to talk themselves out of it. It's a shame you have to be caught in the middle when you did nothing wrong, but me personally wouldn't have anyone but myself fit something to my airbrush as that part just doesn't make any sense to me. The head shouldn't be that tight so the supplier installed it too tightly, and pretty much at this point without a doubt screwed up the nozzle as well.

unfortunately Lion more than likely will screw in a new nozzle and send it back as new I am sorry you are going thru this. But this is why I suggested contacting Iwata before you make a decision I have only dealt with Iwata in California and Hopefully whomever you deal with over there will be as upfront and professional

Well, it seems like a very interesting coincidence that the gun had a lower price and that you got it with a cracked nozzle. No conspiracy theorist here but, as I said, a pretty interesting coincidence. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Sounds like the supplier is at fault then and damaged it, not iwata. Probably reason why "wait till monday" was thrown out because since the supplier opened it, the fresh factory warranty on parts is out the window and falls on the supplier. Regardless this shouldn't of happened, but there will be a delay because basically iwata will say "you broke it" and supplier will be the one that has to pay for the parts and will try to talk themselves out of it. It's a shame you have to be caught in the middle when you did nothing wrong, but me personally wouldn't have anyone but myself fit something to my airbrush as that part just doesn't make any sense to me. The head shouldn't be that tight so the supplier installed it too tightly, and pretty much at this point without a doubt screwed up the nozzle as well.

unfortunately Lion more than likely will screw in a new nozzle and send it back as new I am sorry you are going thru this. But this is why I suggested contacting Iwata before you make a decision I have only dealt with Iwata in California and Hopefully whomever you deal with over there will be as upfront and professional

Thanks for your input guys.

Rob, I don't like to think that Lion would do this on purpose and I am hoping he is going to come up with a good proposal on Monday. However I am thinking I might just want to get my money back and have done with it. I used my debitcard to buy it and had to pay €11 to use it so I will loose that money already. How will I ever know if he just screws in another nozzle and sends it back? How will I ever have the confidence that the airbrush is working to it's full potential. It does worry me that it won't be factory calibrated anymore.

Immortal, a few of my airbrushes have come in boxes that were not sealed and I've heard that from other people as well so I'm not sure the box was ever in sealed wrapping. But I'll never know. I was thinking I'd rather fit the Teflon Packing myself but when I sent an email to ask if he was going to do it or not, he had already done it. Lion said that the Heads are that tight from the factory and I have had other airbrushes that have had very tight parts.

Ko, you are right it might be a good idea for me to phone Iwata in Italy on Monday.

Thanks for the suggestions folks,
Cheers Mel

Back