Choices choices

K

Kacper

Hello all,

I'm a multi-tool artist and i want to add airbrushing to my techniques. I struggle with compressor/airbrush choice -
1. im paiting in my room, so noise is very important.
2. i paint large canvases/boards - minimum is 1.3 x 1.3m, the biggest (so far) was 4m x 2m.

What kind of compressor and airbrush should i chose for this kind of projects?

For example i can buy this one very cheaply, but they say its up to 0.4mm nozzle... will it be enough?

Euro-Tec 30A
(Item no. 160030)

• Ideal compressor for professional airbrushers
• Utilisation of two airbrushes with nozzle sizes up to
0.4 mm each
• Supply with quick coupling nd 5

• Suction capacity: 25 liter
• Pressure: 116 PSI
• Tank: 4 l
• Noise level: 40 dB (A) 1 m
• Weight: 22 kg

Hi. Are you going to want to cover the whole surface in some kind of base coat, or large area etc! If so at that size you may be better off with a mini hvlp.

An all round airbrush, which is a work horse, and still capable of great detail, look at the eclipse range. The BCS might be a good option for you as it has a .5 nozzle, and is the siphon fed version, which can hold a lot of paint. The siphon brushes do require more air pressure though so worth bearing in mind. If you want gravity fed the hp-cs is a .35 nozzle, however you can buy the needle, nozzle, and head from the BCS and make it a .5. The cup however is a good size for most applications, but would need a fair bit of refilling to cover that size. Again it depends on what you do with it, if you are cover the whole surface or just a smaaller area for actual artwork.

Not familiar with that compressor, and can't see what the cfm rate is. You need to know if it will be able to keep up with the amount of air you need to use, especially covering a large surface you want to make sure it isn't going to struggle and overheat, is it oil less? If so over heating is more likely if it is going to be running a long time covering a large area. Good news is, that a quick look on google and I read that this seems to be made by the same people who make Sil-Air, a respected brand. For this money I would imagine it it a quality piece of kit, it's whether its suitable for what you need. Hopefully someone who has one, or something similar can help you out.

Thank you very much for reply. After reading around the forums/ watching videos and reading your comment i stumbled on this setup :

Aero-pro HTC 30A

• Utilisation of airbrushes with nozzle sizes up to 0.6 mm • Or simultanious use with, for example, three 0.2 mm airbrushes at a working pressure up to 43.5 PSI • Supply with two quick couplings nd 5

• Suction capacity: 25 liter • Pressure: 116 PSI • Tank: 9 l • Noise level: 40 dB (A) 1 m • Weight: 20 kg
Iwata HP-CS 0,3 with 0,5 nozzle switch

Auarita ST 3000 - HVLP mini spray gun - for priming and basecoating with acrylics

Does that setup makes any sense ? What should i also buy in terms of cleaning/maintenance to start my journey with airbrush well ?

It should work for what you want, as for cleaning/Maintaining the Brush it depends what kink of paint your spraying? Waterbase paints are the easy one as for cleaning I use warm water between colors,Then after i'm done I use airbrush cleaner before putting it Up, That takes care of about all you need unless you forget to clean your airbrush then you will need to get some airbrush Restorer to soak parts in to get the paint off/out (it's reuseable so you can keep it in a jar or pour it back in the bottle) Hope this helps you out

Thank you; i will use Golden acrylics as i have been working with this brand for some time now and don't want to switch. I'll thin heavy bodyies and later buy special airbrush paint from them too (high flow)

the HTC 30A is the same as the Silair 30 it is from the same factory only difference is the color and the name :)

Back