CM-SB not spraying well-what should I do?

M

Melbee

Hi Folks,
As you may or may not know, I recently bought a new CM-SB which came with a damaged nozzle. The supplier sent me a new nozzle which I put in myself and it seemed to be ok. Since then I haven't done much airbrushing and used my Olympos when I did. Hence my disappointment when I finally tried out my CM-SB again today and found the spray pattern to be horrible.

In the picture I show the spray patterns from the CM-SB and Olympos and I swap the heads around to see if that made any difference. Basically it shows that the CM 0.18mm head unit sprays the worst on both it's own CM-SB body and the Olympos body. I've even sprayed with my Sotar which did a great job.

I used the exactly the same paint mix of Etac EFX + Reduce Air + Bottled Water ratios 1:5:1 and the same PSI for each test.

Have a look and let me know what you think. I know it's hard to really see from the picture but when I was actually spraying the difference was more obvious.
Click on the image to get an enlarged view.

So my next question is what should I do? It's been a few months now since I bought it and got the new nozzle although like I said I haven't used it. Should I send it back to the supplier to look at or should I sent it to Iwata? Or am I Up a Sh*t Creek without a Paddle? I knew this was never going to work out well on my side of things and it just really, really sucks to have a brand new Micron that sprays like my Chinese Knockoff!!
Any advice appreciated,
Cheers Mel

Attachments

• CM-SB Spray Comparison-Merge-30cm.jpg
    CM-SB Spray Comparison-Merge-30cm.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited by a moderator:
Did you buy it from a dealer?
If so when it arrived damaged they should have sent you a new head assembly and needle.
With the cracked nozzle the needle will most likely be damaged too. Maybe ever so slightly that it can not been seen with the naked eye but it maybe enough to cause your issues.
I would contact Iwata and tell them everything from who you bought it from to now.
They will have you send it to them but I am sure when you get it back you will be happy with it.

got a loupe or mini microscope, check your nozzle to see if it is flared at all, also look down the entire head and if you don't see a perfect circle of light, then nozzle is misshapen or crap in the nozzle.......the whole nozzle, needle, complete head assembly change out is a myth....... take one nozzle from a bucket of nozzles, take 1 needle from a tray of needles, does it spray.... yes it does..... hand matched!

Contact iwata first. There is either an issue with the fluid cap and or nozzle and it's not atomizing properly.

Did you buy it from a dealer?
If so when it arrived damaged they should have sent you a new head assembly and needle.
With the cracked nozzle the needle will most likely be damaged too. Maybe ever so slightly that it can not been seen with the naked eye but it maybe enough to cause your issues.
I would contact Iwata and tell them everything from who you bought it from to now.
They will have you send it to them but I am sure when you get it back you will be happy with it.

Hi Herb, Yes I was wondering if the needle might be micro damaged because the original nozzle was badly damaged but I don't see any damage through my X30 Loupe. I got my CM-SB from Lion-Art and he did send me a new nozzle to replace the damaged one but when I put it in and screwed the nozzle cap back on it was not centred. I posted pictures of it in my other thread at the time, the one with "Bought new CM-SB .... Boo Hoo".

got a loupe or mini microscope, check your nozzle to see if it is flared at all, also look down the entire head and if you don't see a perfect circle of light, then nozzle is misshapen or crap in the nozzle.......the whole nozzle, needle, complete head assembly change out is a myth....... take one nozzle from a bucket of nozzles, take 1 needle from a tray of needles, does it spray.... yes it does..... hand matched!

Hi ad fez, yes I did that with my X30 Loupe and it looks round and clean inside. It was a replacement nozzle that Lion-Art sent me to replace the original damaged nozzle. The new nozzle doesn't sit centred in the nozzle cap and as Herb says the needle could be micro damaged too if the original nozzle was split, which it was. I think Herb and Immortal have hit it and it's not atomizing properly.

Contact iwata first. There is either an issue with the fluid cap and or nozzle and it's not atomizing properly.

Hi Immortal, As the original nozzle was replaced with the new one Lion-Art sent me, I would be very unlucky if it was the nozzle again. I think you've got it right with the problem being the Nozzle Cap because the new Nozzle is not centred in the Nozzle Cap. It's off to one side and when I had another look spraying water against a black background the spray pattern from the needle tip does not look even. Like you say it is not atomizing properly. It could be a combination of the off center Nozzle Cap and Herb's suggestion that the needle probably got damaged at the time the original nozzle did. I could mess around with it till I'm blue in the face but I would prefer to get it looked at properly.

I'll try contacting Iwata Germany and see what they say I should do.

Thanks for all your advice guys :)
Cheers Mel

Yes it is a myth , But Iwata recommends that their dealers replace the head and needle if they are damaged in shipping.
After you own for a while and damage the nozzle that is fine to just replace that unless you have a mishap like the Monkey man where the threads broke on the nozzle and could not be removed.

It's not the nozzle and needle that is matched. It's the nozzle and head. But I also say it's a money making scheme. Mine's even got a slightly bent needle and it is still working fine. So your problem has me stumped Mel.

Last edited:
Might be sucking some air somewhere too?

Hi basepaint, yes I did find some air issues, thanks for the tip. I have now put airbrush fluid thread sealer on all the threads in the head unit which helped a bit but sadly did not fix the underlying problem which is it's not atomizing properly.

It's not the nozzle and needle that is matched. It's the nozzle and head. But I also say it's a money making scheme. Mine's even got a slightly bent needle and it is still working fine. So your problem has me stumped Mel.

Hi AndreZA, Yeah I'm stumped too. I can usually figure things out with you guys help but it looks like I got a duff CM-SB and just replacing the nozzle didn't fix it. I'm gonna keep trying but I think I need to send it to the experts to have a look. It's such a shame my Olympos Micron didn't come in a side-feed model and then I wouldn't have bought the dam CM-SB in the first place. Ho Hum never mind!!

I've contacted Iwata in France that is resposible for Holland but they are on holiday until next Monday so I will wait and see what they have to say.
Cheers Mel

Africa get served by Iwata Italy and they are also on a break till next month. It sucks. Hope you get sorted.

Hi peeps,
I did another test today which very clearly shows that the problem is the original 0.18mm head unit.

I did another full breakdown clean of the airbrush, sealed all the threads in the Head Unit and the Packing screw, reseated theNozzle and the Nozzle Cap. Mixed new Etac paint (same mix as previous) and with again the same PSI did a test spray.

I then replaced the 0.18mm Head Unit and Needle with a brand new 0.2mm Olympos Head Unit and a brand new Olympos 0.2mm Needle in the CM-SB (the Olympos came with a Spare Head Unit) and did another test spray.
The photo shows the obvious difference between the two and the original 0.18mm Head Unit is not functioning properly.
Cheers Mel
CM-SB Test spray 0.18mm vs 0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi , Mel its a real pita when you get a problem like this which can have so many variables . From studying your pics i think you have damage to the tip of the needle .

Hi , Mel its a real pita when you get a problem like this which can have so many variables . From studying your pics i think you have damage to the tip of the needle .
I would agree with this. Looks like the paint is spattering off a bent needle. Can also be caused by an air leak in the head assembly.

Hi ferret, well I've looked at the needle tip under a x30 Loupe and I can't see any damage but I could try a new needle to see if it makes a difference. The trouble is I don't have a new 0.18mm needle only a 0.2mm needle and I'm not sure if it's a good idea to do that. What do you think?

I would agree with this. Looks like the paint is spattering off a bent needle. Can also be caused by an air leak in the head assembly.

Hi jagardn, as I said to ferret I'll try a new needle although I only have a 0.2mm at home not a new 0.18mm. I don't think it can be an air leak in the Head anymore because I've put airbrush sealant on all the threads in the Head. Thats on the Nozzle thread, Nozzle Cap thread and the Head Unit thread. If there is a leak now I can't think where it can be coming from.

Thanks guys for your advice :)
Cheers Mel

OK, I've got an e-mail back from Iwata France asking me to send my Micron to them to have look at. So I'll be sending it off to them and I'll let you know how it goes :thumbsup:
Cheers Mel

OK, I've got an e-mail back from Iwata France asking me to send my Micron to them to have look at. So I'll be sending it off to them and I'll let you know how it goes :thumbsup:
Cheers Mel
Hope they get it sorted, I have just got my first micron, the v2 plus, and wow, very very nice. I thought my H&S infinity was nice, but this is quite a step up. I hope you end up just as happy with yours.

Hope they get it sorted, I have just got my first micron, the v2 plus, and wow, very very nice. I thought my H&S infinity was nice, but this is quite a step up. I hope you end up just as happy with yours.
Hi Nik, Ooooo lucky you, I wish I'd just payed the full price for the V2 instead of buying this one. Hopefully Iwata will fix it for me without it costing me anymore than the postage costs, fingers crossed eh? Have fun with your fab new brush :D
Cheers Mel

Hi Mel sos for the late reply .With regards to using a .2 needle in a 1.8 nozzle/tip it would have shown you proof ,if it was the needle . I have certain spray guns that use the same nozzle for 3 needle sizes so i doubt it would have cause you a problem .Good to see iwata are taking a look for you .

Hi ferret, I tried a 0.2mm needle and it also sprayed badly so I don't think it was the needle. Anyway I sent my CM-SB off to Iwata France by Registered Post yesturday and according to the tracking info it will be delivered to them today. Someone at Iwata has said they will tell me when they have received my airbrush. So it's wait and see now.
Cheers Mel

Melbee - I'm glad there is possitive movement and I hope tje fix it quickly for you.

Back