For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Competition

Discussion in 'Competitions!' started by Tsunami airbrush, Nov 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsunami airbrush

Tsunami airbrush Needle-chuck Ninja

I'm sorry to see that the truly original works of this race have taken a few votes and copies of giger have taken a lot of votes.
    I've seen too many paintings that instead of taking inspiration from great artists were limited to blatantly copy them.
    When voting should take into account the originality of the works.
    If in the course of your life you will make a competition with artistic art critics who copy or modify is not even allowed.
    When you do a competition is looking for new ideas not copies of old artists.
  2. flycatchr

flycatchr Detail Decepticon!

Tsunami - with all due respect, and considering that I dont really think of myself as a true artist yet, I do feel that you are being a little harsh. My reasoning is that I have spent the last 30 minutes googling as many images as I can from gieger and I do not find one yet that resembles #47's work. I do however see a where the inspiration comes from. the Necronomico to be more precise.
    Would you mind giving more information to back up the claim of copying please.

edit - I too would love more spreading of the voting, I hear you in that regard :)
  3. Tsunami airbrush

Tsunami airbrush Needle-chuck Ninja

download.jpg Giger-Biomechanical_Landscape_II_No_417.jpg Put your work next to these two examples , and tell me where the originality of your work.To me they seem reworkings of giger , and honestly I do not see anything original .
    This is not saying it's bad or hurt , but completely devoid of imagination.
    Some paintings are nearly equal.
    Who does airbrush normally try to copy the most of the reference image , and that's fine , but when asked to do a work of fiction reworking a base image giving the references of study, does not mean taking pieces and edit them on appiccicarli a basic face .
    if it was already in color was better.
    I think you mean it is clearly too much like it seems to me absurd.
    giger in developed his own unique style of bio mechanics,
    1 ) pipes and metal parts that blend to the body.
    2 ) orsali thorns and bones that make up architectural structures and deformed bodies .
    3) the use of non-color that makes it strong and the macabre tract and lines.
    The rest of the works of giger is a study of morbid orgni genitals and penetration with visual daring .
    For those like me who studied giger the "genius" to see many works in the competition just seems a mixture of reworked his works .
  4. Zotilraxx

Zotilraxx Air-Valve Autobot!

Tsunami, it is great that you support originality. I think the same way... And i think the moderators have the same thoughts. That's why the setup of this competition is different than the others before it. The third round of voting, the panel voting, is setup to consider the originality more than the technical aspects of the artpiece. Don't get me wrong, the technical knowledge of #47 is very good, the lines are very clean, the shading is spot on. For me, it shows how good the artist is at using his aiirbrush and for that, i say good job to him...
  5. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

No one in their right mind could copy Giger's work and palm it off as their own with the intention of making loads of money, if I thought that was the case I would be 100% behind Tsunami.

The main purpose of the competition (or indeed any competition) is to encourage artists, seasoned and beginner alike, to push themselves beyond their own personal boundaries, every entrant has done just that in my opinion, I would not consider any of the offending works to be "blatant copying" by any means, I would say that they are in fact heavily influenced by Giger's unlimited talent in his own field, again in my own opinion, I think Giger would feel complimented by the dedication and attention to detail these artists have shown, not to mention their obvious love for his style, just like you and me.

I'm sorry you did this Tsunami (I mean right now instead of after the comp) because this could cause one or two artists to withdraw their entries and I hope that doesn't happen because they are excellent examples extreme determination to get something just right, as is every other piece, right now I have 100% respect and admiration for 53 excellent artists and it's not because of what they did but the fact that they did it at all.

I believe the original rule was to use the face reference or half of it and then add what you like, and they all did.

To the artists responsible, "STAND FAST".
  6. Theron

Theron Triple Actioner

Its funny that in the competition called "Biomech" someone is complaining that some of the works look very similar to giger work. Even in competition rules it was said that you can take giger work as an inspiration, and as you can see some people did just that, yeah maybe there is one piece which look way too similar to gigers work. Work #19 looks very similar to this work imo -> http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/xa52333759.jpg ...
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  7. flycatchr

Firstly - Its not my work, nor is my work remotely near Giger's.
    secondly - your points 1 - 3 I would have used to describe Giger type biomech works, or the matrix, or alien, or a few more scifi type movies.

seriously - I do realize I am being slightly contrary, but I dont think it is much of an issue considering how many differences I see in the art works. This is a BIOMECH painting. It would be obvious that a "master" of biomech would be the inspiration for at least some of the art.
  8. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

LOL, I agree with what you say here totally, however in Tsunami's defense, I don't think he's attacking you personally, he does his best in English but it's not his own language, I've made that mistake myself in the past and found myself apologizing, and not just to Tsunami but others too, so it's very easy to take him out of context.

But as my Mother used to say "You did ask young man", lol and don't sell yourself short, I'm pretty sure you could produce a reasonably convincing fake if you really had to.
  9. flycatchr

MWAHAHAHA - Madbrush - VERY good point - Tsunami I apologize if I misread your post. AND Madbrush - the reason I am giggling is that you have a lot of faith in my abilities and I thank you for that :)
  10. SaxTecc05

SaxTecc05 Elite Member! Elite Member!

No offense to anyone who entered the competition or even members who did not have the time to participate when i say the following ! I would rather have got at least 1 vote myself after the work we all put in it, but i had fun doing it and i think we all want to show what we can achieve when we set our mind to it. This i something i see happening almost every time when there is something in a competitive way, some will get vote's and others wont... and some people can get pretty angry for the reason they did/wont get a single vote. Does this mean that everyone who enter any competition at any time which wont get any vote or votes have to act all angry?
    We join this only for a price? The price is something that would be only an extra benefit for participating, while i think we all like that others will see our work and get some recognition in what was created. And no harm intended here Tsunami.....but this is not the first time i see you get angry cause your work is/was not the winning one. I personally think you're a very good artist....and with me a whole lot more i think. But i regret to see that you have to show some teeth when others prefer to put a vote on someone else. This said....and i repeat....no offense or harm intended, it's just an friendly competition which is not for personal gain in the first place... but for some good advertising about airbrushing in general, to promote sponsor's and Mitch great work to maintain and set up this space where we can all find refuge in when we need some advice.
  11. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

I have faith in everyone's ability here, if it was a life or death situation we (meaning everyone) can pull it out of the bag, it's been done in every competition and even every paintpals event.

I have 25 million friends on this forum and since I am just shithouse painter, I'm happy to take a black eye so they don't have to, so i won't have my friends fighting, otherwise you go to your room with no Xbox, lol
  12. foreveryoung001

foreveryoung001 Detail Decepticon!

Guess I'm having a hard time understanding your frustration. There are some amazing works of art in this competition! Some are obviously heavily inspired by Giger, and some went in other directions, but they all have their own merits. I'm just not understanding how something can be "to" influenced by Giger. Its up to each individual artist to grad their inspiration from wherever they can get it. There are some piece that obviously came out of the minds of some very twisted forum members... LOL.

Other pieces look like they would not be out of place in the Giger museum.

They all seem to fit within the rules that we were given, so I'm just not understanding why you are so frustrated. I wish I had a real shot at winning, but I knew going in that I wouldn't. I got my token vote, which is actually more than I thought I would get, but I pushed myself big time on this piece and produced something that I'm extremely proud of, in a style that I had never painting before.

And when it comes to the Facebook round, it isn't even about who has the "best" painting, but who can rally the most friends and family to vote for them... so do I get to complain that so-and-so has hundreds of friends that will vote for them, while I only have a handful?

Like I say... I just don't understand the frustration. We all had the rules, looks like everyone followed them, so lets all enjoy the great art works and be excited for those pieces that are attracting the most votes.

Hope you can find some inner piece with all this.
  13. flycatchr

thanks again Madbrush - dont sell yourself short either :)
    BTW - I wasn't saying my work wasn't as good as Giger's I meant it IS completely diferent :)
  14. Theron

Theron Triple Actioner

Great post SaxTecc !

I remember when I got my email from AirbrushTutor about Biomech competition, seriously I was so excited and happy about this like I never was before in my live. And I'm not talking about main prizes or wining anything, (because I own Micron CMCP myself I don't think I need anything better), it was more about getting something done from start to finish. And that was the biggest WIN for me... getting the damn painting done on time and getting back to airbrushing. And I think that's how it was for most people who participated in this competition. Yeah if you get few votes that's even better... but the most important thing was to have a lot of fun while doing it ! :D .... I mean I had a lot of fun painting this thing, but sometimes I felt like scrapping the whole thing and never touching airbrush again. That was a week before the deadline and I had only half of the painting done. :p ...
  15. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

LOL, That's what I meant, Giger is looking at your stuff right now and thinking "Gosh I wish I could get away from biomech excrement and produce stuff like what this guy can" lol

We all adapt and end up with our own little styles and tricks, there was a guy here a while back I think was called Notime who could airbrush rivets that looked so damn real, they were so good even Ed Hubbs would have been jealous, and I totally love Ed because everything he does looks so simple until I try it myself.
  16. flycatchr

LOL - He had better be liking my work, even I like my work hehehe :)
    thats the point of these comps - to stretch ourselves. AND I am very happy with my end result, even if I dont get as any or as many votes as I would like :)
  17. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

Exactly, that's what it's all about.

But I'm getting a little worried now, last Thursday I painted all the door frames in my hallway white to freshen the house up before Christmas, but then I noticed that my neighbor's frames are also white, I hope he doesn't find out, I might have to sell my airbrushing stuff to pay the legal costs, that means I could be out of the next competition.

Oh excrement!!!, my wifes been listening for the last half hour, now she's just ordered me to eat my Snickers.
  18. flycatchr

listening? hahaha we are all going slightly mad mwahahahaha
  19. Carnun

Carnun Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Without a WIP, you are never going to know what someone's motivation is for how or why something is painted the way it is and how they have reached the result they did! That is pretty big call to question someones artistic integrity and say they are devoid of imagination! However, I think its best if we look at your comments in a different way...

You went to all this effort by creating a thread to basically say that there are certain pieces that look really like a Giger painting... that in itself is a huge compliment. Now everyone is going to go along and check them out again... like they say, the only bad publicity is no publicity! (or something like that).

Thanks for helping to spread the love :love-struck::love-struck::love-struck::love-struck::love-struck::love-struck:
  20. Diegojavbau

Diegojavbau Air-Valve Autobot!

I must confess myself : there was a moment when I feel the temptation of asking to a friend of mine , who is a great tattoo artist and an expert in biomechanics for a design , but I choose lost without cheating than win cheating

PS : this post has no relation and make no allusion to the previous discusion
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.