Compressor and airbrush advice!

M

MyEscape

Hello all!
So, my partner just broke my compressor lol
Realised after purchase that it's on the 'not recommended list', and only 2 weeks old, so we plan to return the whole kit.
Being a noob, I would like some advice on what to get!

Little noise is important.
It's just a hobby on paper at the moment.
I would like to have the option for a wide paint spread but also detail (if thats even possible).
And syphon fed is preferred, for faster colour changes.
Of course none of the above is a make or break situation (apart from the noise) because I really am just starting out and having a play.
Also, What are the things to look out for when buying a compressor? Incase I decide to head to bunnings.
Not wanting to break the bank with a purchase either..
Thank you :)

Sadly anything you get from bunnings is unlikely to be quiet enough for inside.
Whatever you buy make sure it has a tank , regulator and a water trap.
I've got to ask.... HOW on earth did it get broken :laugh:

Was it one of the Aldi kits ?

Yes get something with a tank...

As far as an airbrush, I wonder if an Eclipse comes in a siphon-fed version?

Sadly anything you get from bunnings is unlikely to be quiet enough for inside.
Whatever you buy make sure it has a tank , regulator and a water trap.
I've got to ask.... HOW on earth did it get broken :laugh:

Was it one of the Aldi kits ?

Bummer, bunnings is just around the corner!
He twisted the Air pressure knob too far and it snapped off..

Yes, yes it was the Aldi one lol
On the plus side though, means I can get a better kit!

For what it's worth, I've been using an Iwata Smart Jet Pro for about 15 years and it works just like the day I unboxed it. Quiet enough that I can spray while people are sleeping in the next room. My paint booth is louder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is an eclipse bottom feed version , hp-bcs.
I never used one but California tools makes a pretty nice quiet compressor, I just don't know of availability in Australia.

If you have the coin it is worth investing in a quiet compressor. I just got one from Aus, $568.00 for an iwata power jet pro. There are a few other models, I think the one with one AB connection is about $100 cheaper. Check out the airbrushtutor video on compressors.

Ok, thanks everyone!
I have a few things to think about now and will probably have to order online, so no airbrushing for me this week :(

Prefer from airbrush megastore. You won't beat his prices.
Just remember,
-the prices you see are BEFORE gst. Nasty surprises at the checkout aren't fun.

There are several compressors the will suit your needs, as well a a good starter kit. Normally you'll see advise against 'kits' but they're talking about 'aldi' 'ebay' type of kits

Prefer from airbrush megastore. You won't beat his prices.
Just remember,
-the prices you see are BEFORE gst. Nasty surprises at the checkout aren't fun.

There are several compressors the will suit your needs, as well a a good starter kit. Normally you'll see advise against 'kits' but they're talking about 'aldi' 'ebay' type of kits

Whoops
Yes I have been looking at one of their kits. The only thing that confuses me though, is the kit that comes with a compressor, doesn't have a tank, so is that still a good way to go? Or get them separately?
Ahh damn gst
My partner sure picked an expensive hobby for me! Lol

I would definitely get a compressor with a tank, just takes another variable/problem out of the picture especially when learning as does a quality airbrush. You might check ebay, I see mint condition iwata hp-bcs selling very cheap ($40-60$) even if its shipped from the usa I'm sure it will still be much cheaper.
I know you said you wanted bottom feed for quick color changes but you might also look into side feeds, hp-sbs which is the eclipse model than one step up is the hp-sb than another step up is the cm-sb.
The way I look at it is unless your doing very large areas or t-shirts side feed beats out bottom feed, atleast it did for me when I held both. I just didn't like the weight of the bottle of paint and the higher pressures needed for bottom feed brushes.

For the extra few $$ go with the smart jet pro. Unless your partner turns the regulator the wrong way it will last for years and years, just open the drain plug when it's not in use.
The Eclipse range are very forgiving but will also be there for the long haul.
The choice of style is up to you and what you want to achieve.
If you're looking at doing art/tshirt at the local market the siphon feed would be my recommendation.
Side feeds will also do quick changes but there's a reason that market artists choose siphon feeds. Bottles are cheap to replace, brush is easy to clean. Time is money

I would definitely get a compressor with a tank, just takes another variable/problem out of the picture especially when learning as does a quality airbrush. You might check ebay, I see mint condition iwata hp-bcs selling very cheap ($40-60$) even if its shipped from the usa I'm sure it will still be much cheaper.
I know you said you wanted bottom feed for quick color changes but you might also look into side feeds, hp-sbs which is the eclipse model than one step up is the hp-sb than another step up is the cm-sb.
The way I look at it is unless your doing very large areas or t-shirts side feed beats out bottom feed, atleast it did for me when I held both. I just didn't like the weight of the bottle of paint and the higher pressures needed for bottom feed brushes.

I'll check ebay, thanks for your help :)

Spraygunner.com and coast airbrush are both good US retailers, coast airbrush show AUS prices too, be warned the conversion rate and what they display is not always equal. Then there's the freight, which is often a killer. Unless an International retailer is having a super sale to offset costs it's often not worth saving the few dollars if you have warranty claims.
I have used both the above with no issue

Buying 2nd hand brushes from eBay is hit and miss....."nothing wrong, barely used etc etc" factor in the possible cost of new needle and nozzle when buying 2nd hand.
As for cost of 2nd hand? ... I won't pay more than half the cost of new.

I'm sure we would all be happy to check any eBay purchases before you commit

Spraygunner.com and coast airbrush are both good US retailers, coast airbrush show AUS prices too, be warned the conversion rate and what they display is not always equal. Then there's the freight, which is often a killer. Unless an International retailer is having a super sale to offset costs it's often not worth saving the few dollars if you have warranty claims.
I have used both the above with no issue

Buying 2nd hand brushes from eBay is hit and miss....."nothing wrong, barely used etc etc" factor in the possible cost of new needle and nozzle when buying 2nd hand.
As for cost of 2nd hand? ... I won't pay more than half the cost of new.

Oh great, thank you! I will check those out too!
I may have found a store in ADL that sells airbrush supplies, with a bit of luck I won't have to wait or pay for postage

Oh great, thank you! I will check those out too!
I may have found a store in ADL that sells airbrush supplies, with a bit of luck I won't have to wait or pay for postage
that's great, can you please PM me the details, Airbrush stores are far and few between in Adelaide, and very few of those carry any decent stock.

Back