Createx Red

is this all just because you're worried about going to dark to soon ?
nope this is what I have taken from my favorite artist and it was his recommendation so I put it to practice and I fell in love with it. Although Ryan was using urethane his advice on the transparent base worked for createx. I constantly hear the advice to build slowly and to plan.

In my color practice with the red in Unda was me hammering the color onto the page which I normally don't do. There is no worry here hence the reason I refer to it as 'my process' as it has been that way for a while.

(I have a feeling I am about to take great criticism)

no, no criticism, just wonder why you're doing what you are doing so we can advise accordingly.... its no good giving you guidance for an apple pie if youre trying to make apple sauce lol

the piece you've posted .... thats just a practice piece? are you going to do it on a different substrate ?

I know you've been doing your process for awhile but i cant help wondering if there is a better way for you to acheive what you want without the need to add colours to colours in order to produce what is already available.

Aye
The piece I have posted is a practice piece as I am in the transition of moving so anything I paint as of now has to be quick! That is a page right out of the necronomicon and the subtle textures of the skin tone I laid cannot be seen in my pics (shame really)

I get that and I would love to get the color I want straight out of the bottle, tbh I think I have to fudge it with other colors to get what I want.
P.S. I loove the fact you guys mentioned using green instead of yellow and I get why you suggested that. (you want to move the saturation towards the middle of the color wheel instead of altering the hue) :)

I always practice on garbage really that paper is horrible, but I wouldn't have it any other way :)
Unda - Bride of the sea.jpg

When using advice from someone is great, but it does not mean that it will work for everyone or every situation..... I use red all the time and never used trans base. Trans base is just paint with no color pigment, so all you are doing is making it more transparent, which in turn needs more passes to get color by hiding what is under it. You can go too far and looking at the left side of your painting, you are spraying mostly trans base and reducer than pigment. I only add enough reducer to make it flow better for the brush and what I am painting on. If I want to color match a red and need it darker, I use a touch of green until I get the desired color. When you are using yellow, you are not darkening it but changing it toward the orange color. This makes it look brighter, not redder. Like already stated, when using red over white, it will first look pink until you get enough coverage to hide and cover the white...Think about it this way...if you were to add white to red, you get pink......
Best way to solve this issue is to not make it so transparent and to take your time and do enough passes to get desired color....Blasting the paint with heavy coats is not the answer and when you have to wait for the paint to dry, is a sign you are going too heavy to fast.
Hope this makes sense and is helpful...
Cheers

Makes sense but what you are implying is to drastically change how I do things. The adding green is what I took from this thread. Also as I had stated blasting the piece with paint was one time thing and I laid 5 coats before giving in.

As jackE has pointed out before all advice is merey a suggestion . You really think I am capable to follow exactly what Ryan was doing 5 years ago in his videos? I bet not and I would say I use less pigment than he was . Red seems to be the only color that does this pink business to me as if I use blue, green, yellow, or any other pigment it does not annnnd I am also not the only one to point out that the red looks pink. Nice to point this out as I can literate why it does this better on the Facebook page I run. And Tony you are much talented but my process is much different as you are suggesting to speed up my passes with blasting more pigment in my passes(yeah will feel like starting over at that point)

It would be nice if I had a bottle of pure red that I could use when I just need a touch here and there. That will look red regardless how much pigment is laid. The conclusion I come to is to grab a empty 2 ounce bottle and just add w/e color to it :) thanks for the input friends.

Makes sense but what you are implying is to drastically change how I do things. The adding green is what I took from this thread. Also as I had stated blasting the piece with paint was one time thing and I laid 5 coats before giving in.

As jackE has pointed out before all advice is merey a suggestion . You really think I am capable to follow exactly what Ryan was doing 5 years ago in his videos? I bet not and I would say I use less pigment than he was . Red seems to be the only color that does this pink business to me as if I use blue, green, yellow, or any other pigment it does not annnnd I am also not the only one to point out that the red looks pink. Nice to point this out as I can literate why it does this better on the Facebook page I run. And Tony you are much talented but my process is much different as you are suggesting to speed up my passes with blasting more pigment in my passes(yeah will feel like starting over at that point)

The way I look at is... if something is not working, change how you do it to make it work. If something works for one, it doesn't mean it will work for another. I said it would take a lot less passes to achieve the color if you do not use trans base. Using green is to darken the red....not to help the red to achieve color.
Here is an example....I did this die cast for a customer and when it was done, i was not happy with the red after clear coat.. It was too light and looked lighter than my spray out. It is Createx AutoAir trans Fire red. I wanted to match the red to the actual flag color. I stripped it down to bare metal and started over. These colors were the same amount of passes, over a white base. ...All I did was add a drop of green and the color ended up bang on where I wanted...There was no trans base used, just reducer to get it to flow thru the airbrush. If I remember right, I only did 3 passes to achieve color....

IMG_2085.JPG first try... IMG_2127.JPG second try... Before clear...IMG_2075 (2).JPG first try IMG_2126.JPG second try
The red changed color but did not change how many passes needed to achieve it...Everyone has different opinions on how to airbrush, just use these to help you and to look at the many ways to achieve what you are after...
Cheers

Huge shout to @JackEb and @Mr.Micron for trying to understand my process . Not trying to change it but coming up with a easier solution to the desired effect. I will definitely put that to practice. You guys are the true all stars and teachers of this forum. ♡♡♡.

twood has explained it about as good as it can get, spraying on a white base will always produce pink until you get full coverage. No paint give full coverage unless you spray it on thick and an ab is not that tool. The surrounding colour white will also trick the brain into thinking it's pink (put some other colour cardboard with a small hole in it over the red a see if the colour looks better).
There are two problems here, one is that reds are not reds anymore since they took out things like lead and other bases to give them 'body' for safety reasons they are a lot more transparent than they used to be. The other is colour shift, some colours are affected more than others and white is usually the culprit.

Perhaps you can spray a very light base coat over your substrate of say a very light brown/beige (not a bright colour but a warm colour like yellow with a touch of its complement (violet)). This is just enough to remove the colour shift effect and tone down the white. Or, as mentioned just add some green or yellow, whatever works but basically you are reducing the effects of the white :)

Perhaps you can spray a very light base coat over your substrate of say a very light brown/beige (not a bright colour but a warm colour like yellow with a touch of its complement (violet)). This is just enough to remove the colour shift effect and tone down the white. Or, as mentioned just add some green or yellow, whatever works but basically you are reducing the effects of the white :)

Thank you! this is a better answer and others have suggested adding a brown or a green or yellow to the red itself to get away from the pink . Twood was insisting that I throw the transbase in the garbage and change my process to his which is not an option. hence why I didn't like his advice. I will leave a picture of the blood stains I wish to accomplish below as me and Jacke are in the process of talking more deeply on the subject and thanks again for your input :)
necronomiconpageswtmk_by_thedragonofdoom-d666ua7.jpg

I think you may have misunderstood what Twood was suggesting, all he is doing is offering a suggestion in order to get rid of the pink issue you are having,
A few of us have tried to explain that by adding reducer or transbase that you are then spreading the minimal pigment that you are already using even further and you 'll need more passes to cover the background.

We will get you where you need to be Sam, It may just need a bit of time thats all.

I think you may have misunderstood what Twood was suggesting, all he is doing is offering a suggestion in order to get rid of the pink issue you are having,
A few of us have tried to explain that by adding reducer or transbase that you are then spreading the minimal pigment that you are already using even further and you 'll need more passes to cover the background.

We will get you where you need to be Sam, It may just need a bit of time thats all.

Perhaps . . . . I got all the time in the world right now ;)

Oh and Thaaaank you!

Not only was I understood, but I was actually attacked personally with a facebook message. It got so bad I had to block you.
I was messaged that she did not like my advice and my post here was unwanted.....Not very nice at all as this is an open place to give opinions and advice....
I am not one to air dirty laundry, but it did get out of hand. I also left the FB page that she so called "runs" for the same reason....
And I will not be happy if the attacks start here.
In no way did I tell you to do it my way....Do it the way you want, but when you post about a problem do not attack the people that are trying to help..
Rant over.....

Thank you! this is a better answer and others have suggested adding a brown or a green or yellow to the red itself to get away from the pink . Twood was insisting that I throw the transbase in the garbage and change my process to his which is not an option. hence why I didn't like his advice. I will leave a picture of the blood stains I wish to accomplish below as me and Jacke are in the process of talking more deeply on the subject and thanks again for your input :)
necronomiconpageswtmk_by_thedragonofdoom-d666ua7.jpg
I knew I had a good feeling about you , and very cool seeing you building you own version of the book.

yeah wasn't an attack all I said it was that I didn't like your advice. sorry. Also sorry I couldn't read your long responses and sorry you feel you were attacked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only was I understood, but I was actually attacked personally . . . . . .
In no way did I tell you to do it my way....Do it the way you want, but when you post about a problem do not attack the people that are trying to help..
Rant over.....

I've already edited one post, lets keep personal opinions aside and look at problem solving.
we tend to forget we have a lot of members of all different nationalities and language skills and we all know how hard it is to describe a process and have it make sense when if you were in front of the person you could show them what you mean in a few minutes.

lets all just take a chill pill and consider ways to make the super reduced red look a little less pink when sprayed with minimal layers.

Yes i'm chatting with Sam via PM, and i now have a cleared idea of what she wants her end result to be..... because i have pretty much the entire Createx line at home and will have an extended weekend i'm going to look at how Sam is currently working and how we can work with that to get the result she's after.

Just remember, public arguing is not tolerated.

Back