Creating new colors

N

Neural

As just about everyone knows, paints vary in price.
Is there away to mix and test colors without using the airbrush?
I'm not talking about anything complex, just small amounts to see if the resulting color would be what I'm looking for (example: 4 drops of a lighter blue, and 1 drop of green to get a blue/green tone).

Also, my work area/canvass is generally around 12" x 12" or so, are there ways in which I can mix up the Candy2O and 4030 but in small amounts?
Putting 10 to 15 drops in a dixie cup tends to leave more in the cup than what pours into the airbrush.

I just mix in the airbrush cup. When I get the color I want or I am trying to hit I write it down.
As far as the candy in small amount are you planning on using it then or just having it like pre mixed?
Once mixed it has a shorter shelf life and like it's urethane counter past can seed on you.

I just mix in the airbrush cup. When I get the color I want or I am trying to hit I write it down.
As far as the candy in small amount are you planning on using it then or just having it like pre mixed?
Once mixed it has a shorter shelf life and like it's urethane counter past can seed on you.

If mixing in the cup, do you put in the color first, or the reducers/etc? I had considered doing that, but wasn't sure if I'd be wasting 4030 by putting it in first.

If mixing in the cup, do you put in the color first, or the reducers/etc? I had considered doing that, but wasn't sure if I'd be wasting 4030 by putting it in first.
4030 is not a reducer. When I use it, I put it in after the reducer. Then the paint/candy2o
The createx videos advise putting in reducer first.

4030 is not a reducer. When I use it, I put it in after the reducer. Then the paint/candy2o
The createx videos advise putting in reducer first.

You're right. I'm still getting used to the names and numbers. So far I'm focused on remembering that according to the application guide for Candy2o that it's 1:1 4030 to color.

side note from working today: That Candy2O "transparent black" is really dark stuff. I didn't apply too much, but I thought I was going to have to build it up a lot more than I did.

Your quote of 1:1 is recommended for spray guns
From the Auto-Air website.
The following specs are recommended as a starting point.

When using a spray-gun, mixing candy2o 1:1 4030 Balancing Clear allows for best application to achieve an even color-build without mottling.
  • spray-gun: 1.1 – 1.2mm tip, 26 – 29 psi
  • mini-gun: 0.8 – 1.0mm, 26 - 29 psi
  • airbrush: 0.18 - 0.5mm, generally add 25 – 50% 4030 Balancing Clear and reduce as needed with mixing with 4012 High Performance Reducer.
Apply 4040 Bleed Checker over candy2o to prevent bleeding

Personally, until you've practised with the candy i wouldnt recommend using it with the .18 tips...

Your quote of 1:1 is recommended for spray guns
From the Auto-Air website.
The following specs are recommended as a starting point.

Personally, until you've practised with the candy i wouldnt recommend using it with the .18 tips...

oh that won't be an issue. Right now my problem has been getting a wide enough pattern. I have a new compressor coming, and may actually switch to an HVLP for doing backgrounds, so I'll note the 1:1 for spray guns on my printed guide. For some reason I had it in my head that 50% meant 1:1, when it's actually 1 part 4030, and 2 parts color. That and I need to start adding the 4012. Trying to take it step at a time so I can learn the process and see the differences as I go along.

All that said, every thing I've done with color so far has turned out as expected. (edit: well, within reason. I'm still new to the paints and such, but I'm not having any bizarre issues like running paint (to much flow), spattering (not enough air), etc.)

yeah, sometime the terminology messes with the brain. . .
yes, for the spraygun 1:1 it does equate to 50% paint:50%4030
BUT
when they start talking about airbrushes, and reducing Candy by adding 25% – 50% 4030 Balancing Clear thats when you end up with your 1 part (or less) 4030:2 parts colour. I found that out the hard way......:D

Back