Dark blue or navy mixing problems

M

MaskedMan

Hi everyone,

I'm struggling with mixing a dark blue/navy. I have wicked primaries and a white base. I was hoping somebody can give a drop ratio? I even tried shooting wicked blue, 2 coats, then wicked detail blue on top, 2 coats. It was darker but wonder if there is a better mix?
IMG_20170917_152216_01.jpg

Highly unlikely that someone can tell you a drop ratio from sight only. Matching colour is a learnt and very practical thing. A good colour wheel will help as well as an understanding of how you change colours. It is not only a matter of making the blue darker but also what colour shift occurs as a result. The real answer is keep practicing... :)

Thanks for the response, I'll keep at it. I have a color wheel, just lack the understanding of the color shift. The pic I sent was my attempt to change the wicked blue to a darker version with a darker transparent. It worked just the shift seems more purple than deeper blue.

There are some good articles on colour matching, understanding complimentary colours, etc. Check out Dru Blair's stuff.

Sometimes you can NOT mix the color. Its based on pigment. This dark blue might be imposible to mix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the link, it was some good information.

I think I have the mix now. I used the wicked detail Cobalt blue 13 drops and 2 drops wicked black. 3 coats and I'm at my dark blue. The key was being able to repeat the color.

The wicked blue when mixed with black had a green hue. The cobalt had more of a blue hue. As the layers built up it became a darker blue.

My problem was making big jumps in adding color and not making small adjustments.

So the link was helpful, thank you.

To get rid of the green hue you can add a bit of red. Unless you are using opaque colours or buffered colours, it will always get darker the more layers you put down.

Thanks for the red tip, I will give that a shot with the wicked blue.

Back