difference between a .35 and .2 nozzle/needle

As any woman will tell you, it's not the size of the gun that counts, but the skill of the person on the end of it! (We lie, but with airbrushes it's true Lol) I can get great detail with my .35, but it will also cover larger areas too, so it is a good all rounder. If you are wanting to do mainly fine detail, then maybe the .2 would be better? But if you get a .35 and spend some quality time with it, you will get all the fine lines you need.

As any woman will tell you, it's not the size of the gun that counts, but the skill of the person on the end of it! (We lie, but with airbrushes it's true Lol)
That absolutely made my day hahahaha!

I've never used anything smaller than a .35, but I can get super fine lines, I think it's all about getting to know your airbrush and pushing it's limits. Having said that, there has to be a reason why so many professionals use microns (or other fine brushes. My cynical side does whisper that it's a a lot to do with product placement and advertising etc, particularly with the big names, but I tell that side of me to be quiet, because you really do get the quality you pay for with airbrushes, though I think there is a limit.) and many people aspire to own a micron, myself included, as I would love to be able to know what the difference is.

My wondering is, that if it's a knock off, the brush quality may not be good enough to give you a significant improvement anyway, and although I know you are happy to tweak and refine your brushes, you won't have anything to use as a comparison for what a similar quality brush could do.

Your right Squishy, I have never used anything but a knockoff so I have no clue about how they compare to a name brand quality brush.
I would love to have one to find out but I do know the brushes I have worked on are better than my ability to use them.
I can paint thin lines with my .3 brush, a lot smaller than a .5mm mechanical pencil lead, in a long straight line but can't paint tiny lines in precise places.

I haven't been using the airbrush much lately I have been watching Betty Edwards right side of the brain video and practicing drawing.
She is tough to listen to for me but I have learned a lot. My drawing has taken a huge leap for the better but I still have a long way to go.

I think someone with artistic training or one who has natural ability can make art with any tool be it airbrush, pencil or brush but someone without an artistic bent will struggle with those same tools. So time to learn to draw so I can airbrush successfully down the road.

Hopefully one day I'll be a better artist than the capabilities of my current airbrushes but as nicely as the brushes seem to perform I think it will be a while.

Jim

Hi Jim, I started with a Harbor Fright "Deluxe AB" about two years ago and like you, I had to polish the needle and many of the internal parts to get it to work and feel decent. I also toke the "Crown Cap/Regulator" off and sanded it down to make it shorter....it is about even with the needle. It helped a lot with doing fin lines and improved the spray pattern some. for me any way. Like others have said the "Knock offs" are not made to the same specs as the big name brushes and I headed HF had changed supplies since I got the one I have. I try and get some photos of the modification tonight along with lines from it and my 100G with fine head assembly.
I was lucky and was able to pick up my Badger 100G illustrator set with fine needle/nozzle (new) on Amazon for $31 last year so you my want to save the money you would use for another Knock off and watch for a good deal on a name brand brush. Oh and I only use my Badger now.
Doug

Your right Squishy, I have never used anything but a knockoff so I have no clue about how they compare to a name brand quality brush.
I would love to have one to find out but I do know the brushes I have worked on are better than my ability to use them.
I can paint thin lines with my .3 brush, a lot smaller than a .5mm mechanical pencil lead, in a long straight line but can't paint tiny lines in precise places.

I haven't been using the airbrush much lately I have been watching Betty Edwards right side of the brain video and practicing drawing.
She is tough to listen to for me but I have learned a lot. My drawing has taken a huge leap for the better but I still have a long way to go.

I think someone with artistic training or one who has natural ability can make art with any tool be it airbrush, pencil or brush but someone without an artistic bent will struggle with those same tools. So time to learn to draw so I can airbrush successfully down the road.

Hopefully one day I'll be a better artist than the capabilities of my current airbrushes but as nicely as the brushes seem to perform I think it will be a while.

Jim

I know what you mean about artistic training, I have never had any, and have found certain things hard that others seem to be able to do easily. But, you sound as stubborn as me lol, and aren't going to let that stop you. People say you don't need to be able to draw to airbrush, and I guess that's true, even more so these days with all the computer programmes like photoshop etc. But I think you can't beat a pencil and paper. You can take it anywhere, and I think you get a better understanding of shading etc by physically having something in your hand. That's just my opinion, and there are many ways to skin a cat as they say, but for me I find it helpful and always keep a sketchbook handy. I want to be able to do original designs, and as computers are a mystery to me anyway, I'm sticking to the oldschool lol. Good luck with it!

Needle differences?? .....
Consistency is the main difference. The finer needle will consistently give you that result you want - As mentioned repeatedly here above it's down to the trigger, time, distance control (albeit PRACTICE!) that will give you those fine lines. The main issue is the Ab you use. It's all good as a starter but you really see the difference when you start moving up the scale and grab hold of better more responsive AB's - Move past the Badger and go for the IWATA HP CS - it's a beast and will stay with you over time. Fine lines and consistency all the way with the CS - Plus the customer support you get from IWATA blows any other brand away.

I'm completely new to ab'ing. I've been spending great amounts of time practising. I've already noticed an improvement. I keep everything I do, and compare my first work against the latest, all dated.

Lines have improved, less wobbly, more consistent, finer. I didn't learn spraying overnight, and I doubt I will with ab'ing. Practice is the only way. For the moment my cheapie will do, and as I improve and get more confident, then I'll move onto the known makes. By the time I'm ready for that, I expect improvements in the ab industry. Who knows, you might be able to get a whole drawing from just 1 press........haha.

Mate I did this with my hpcs .35 and I'm far from a pro now I have my krome I will have another go but you can get detail with a .35 just take your time View attachment 30066
How is that even possible? I don't think I could get that kind of detail using a pencil sharpened to a needle point, let alone a .35 airbrush!
Awesome pic by the way. Love fishes.

Basically I masked the outline lightly sketched the gill plates and fins used some free hand shields did the scales free hand

Mate I did this with my hpcs .35 and I'm far from a pro now I have my krome I will have another go but you can get detail with a .35 just take your time View attachment 30066

I always new this was possible, but I'm still flabbergasted, that really is incredible, you may not be a pro yet, but I feel sure that a few of the pro's would be in awe of this.

I think a lot of people would be interested in seeing how you went about this (like me maybe:whistling:) so why not do a little step by step, you can't post stuff like this and then keep us in the dark, that is just criminal;)

I always new this was possible, but I'm still flabbergasted, that really is incredible, you may not be a pro yet, but I feel sure that a few of the pro's would be in awe of this.

I think a lot of people would be interested in seeing how you went about this (like me maybe:whistling:) so why not do a little step by step, you can't post stuff like this and then keep us in the dark, that is just criminal;)

Don't be afraid of the dark my friend. I say walk forward and make your own path. :)

Haha this was a trial run to see if I could actually do it so I could do this kind of thing on a fishing reel. I have a krome with the .2 setup now so next time I do one I'll do a wip. But honestly because I used the hpcs so much I think I can actually get finer detail with it than the krome. I'm slowly getting the hang of the krome as it's a bit heavier and the nozzle is a bit different.

Bottom line is you can detail with a .35 and if I can do it we all can !!

Haha this was a trial run to see if I could actually do it so I could do this kind of thing on a fishing reel. I have a krome with the .2 setup now so next time I do one I'll do a wip. But honestly because I used the hpcs so much I think I can actually get finer detail with it than the krome. I'm slowly getting the hang of the krome as it's a bit heavier and the nozzle is a bit different.

I agree, I have a Neo for Iwata which is also .35 and I can write my name with it, it's just a shame I can't do much else, but that's nothing to do with the brush, that's a mixture of sheer stupidity and 156 years of alcohol abuse, lol

I gotta agree here with regards to the Krome - out of the box it's a nice AB - but after a while I keep finding it lacking in what it once had. The HPCS is unbeatable - The Kustom HPCS is even better (In my book!) - I'm thinking of selling my 2 Kromes to get another Kustom CS or CH - It just can't compete with the consistency of the IWATA's.... (again .... my book of thoughts) ;)

Back