Down to 2 choose

B

Bob Wang

Dear airbrush forum members:

Hi, I am thinking about buying a airbrush for painting my model plane, and gundam. I kind of narrow down my choose to Iwata Revolution BR or GREX GENESIS XT. I can buy BR locally for $100, and XT for $130. If you were in my shoes, which one will you go for and why?

P.S. I already have a Craftsman 3 Gallon oil lube air compressor handy.

Having started out with a gravity fed gun, I prefer them to side or bottom feed ones.
However, having said that, I see there are definate advantages to having the larger reservoir capacity that a bottom feed allows.
This should, in theory at least, make your choices easier.
If you need to be able to cover larger areas, then the Grex would do it, with the advantage of being able to cope with the demand for finer detail as well.
If you want to do finer detail, and don't need to often cover larger areas, the Iwata would be your choice.
In my opinion, because I don't often have the need to cover large areas with my airbrush ( I have a small HVLP gun for this) and because I like to work on smaller things, the Iwata would be my personal choice, but only because I have not had experience with the trigger style of gun that the Grex is.
Sorry but it doesn't seem like I am much help with your choice.

Having started out with a gravity fed gun, I prefer them to side or bottom feed ones.
However, having said that, I see there are definate advantages to having the larger reservoir capacity that a bottom feed allows.
This should, in theory at least, make your choices easier.
If you need to be able to cover larger areas, then the Grex would do it, with the advantage of being able to cope with the demand for finer detail as well.
If you want to do finer detail, and don't need to often cover larger areas, the Iwata would be your choice.
In my opinion, because I don't often have the need to cover large areas with my airbrush ( I have a small HVLP gun for this) and because I like to work on smaller things, the Iwata would be my personal choice, but only because I have not had experience with the trigger style of gun that the Grex is.
Sorry but it doesn't seem like I am much help with your choice.

Thanks for the input!!

Glad to help out, Bob.
Hope it helps you sort 'em out.
Whichever way you go, you'll soon be having heaps of fun.
Enjoy.

Thanks for the information, I think I will pick up a Iwata around Thanksgiving, see if theirs is a sale going on.

Would choose neither of them LOL..Must admit had to look into both as also have used neither in the past..The BR suggests its designed for quick color change LOL, no gravity is designed for quick color change, yet is a selling point on their site LOL (U can get quick at it though but will never match a siphon, not that modellers need worry about that too much)..The grex is a pistol grip and out of the two probably a better modelling gun imo,and without previous spray experience may feel a bit awkward but if ya just using it for basecoats and such I would choose that from the two as it has a bigger cup. ultimately either or will do the job you want it for, but is there a reason your limiting yourself to those two particular airbrushes..Do you really need a dual action if you just plan to spray model pieces? No harm in getting one and would always recommend peeps do if in case you want to use it for other purposes but an internal mix single action may be a better choice or at least worth having in your kit..If they are big models I would recommend a Badger 155, bit more expensive but much more versatile, but again that's more just a personal thing and opinion, the ones you mention will get the job done..GL

Would choose neither of them LOL..Must admit had to look into both as also have used neither in the past..The BR suggests its designed for quick color change LOL, no gravity is designed for quick color change, yet is a selling point on their site LOL (U can get quick at it though but will never match a siphon, not that modellers need worry about that too much)..The grex is a pistol grip and out of the two probably a better modelling gun imo,and without previous spray experience may feel a bit awkward but if ya just using it for basecoats and such I would choose that from the two as it has a bigger cup. ultimately either or will do the job you want it for, but is there a reason your limiting yourself to those two particular airbrushes..Do you really need a dual action if you just plan to spray model pieces? No harm in getting one and would always recommend peeps do if in case you want to use it for other purposes but an internal mix single action may be a better choice or at least worth having in your kit..If they are big models I would recommend a Badger 155, bit more expensive but much more versatile, but again that's more just a personal thing and opinion, the ones you mention will get the job done..GL

Thank for the info! I didn't meant to limiting myself, I search around art/hobby store locally and those two were available within my budget. I will do a some research on Badger 155. Thank you

Nah all good, thought there may be a specific reason they were your desired choice..If you are limited in budget, getting that grex for a hundred is a pretty good deal, there normally over 200, well in my part of the world they are LOL..But again if mainly doing modelling, anything will probably be pretty good for ya if its a brand name..Best of luck..

Most modeller prefere a larger cup than the small cup of the Iwata BR, and in my homestylad opinion, the trigger action guns aren't that good for modellers. They are a bit too clumsy to get close with, working with a model on a work bench.
Why are these the only choices? Price or availability?

Back