For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Elvis Portrait

Discussion in 'Step by Step' started by Robbie Kass, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Robbie Kass

Robbie Kass SpectraTexas Ranger!

[​IMG]
    first i begin by scuffing the surface with a red scotch brite, then print a reference photo the exact size i want to paint it. i tape this photo in the exact position i want it and lay graphite transfer paper beneath it and trace the image out. next i use white to mute the lines and begin in with a mixture of mostly white with yellow, a pinch of orange and pink and neutralize it with a drop of purple... I've mentioned this before in the step by steps I've posted in the past, if you study color theory if a mixture is heavy on a certain color you can neutralize it by adding its opposing color on the color wheel.
    [​IMG]
    after i finish with the first tone i add more color to my existing mixture and continue layering. i believe i added more purple orange and pink... i should also let you guys know I'm working with house of color urethane based paints BC and SG series
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    below I've added more purple yellow and a drop of black then moved on to add some red, white, and a PINCH of green and yellow to the lips
    [​IMG]
    now I've gone a little darker with and made a light warm brown to darken the deepest features and started in with the same color in the hair to get some sort of base down over the white canvas as his hair was very dark.
    [​IMG]
    darkened the brown some more and hit some more of the darker areas
    [​IMG]
    continued into hair
    [​IMG]
    i added more black to my color and built the hair
    [​IMG]
    then cut out the image i printed with an exacto knife to create a mask to clean up the overspray and started working on his shirt.
    [​IMG]
    i used a ochre tan color to bring back some highlights in his hair. it look like white because of the contrast of the dark hair, but its a deeper color than you may think. and added some blue white and a tiny, tiny little bit of orange to mute it a bit.
    [​IMG]
    i use a well full of inter coat clear (a clear Base, not clear coat) and a couple drops of black to thin it out dramatically and gradually work some more.
    [​IMG]
    now i bring the highlights back with some white reduced with inter coat clear.
    [​IMG]
    i darkened the hair some more, touched up the lips with a thined red candy, then used that mask to protect the warm values in his face while i sprayed purple around the edges to make him pop and give it a subtle background.
    [​IMG]
    finished product ready for a clear coat
    [​IMG]
  2. CALz AyrWKz

CALz AyrWKz Moderator Mod

Very nice tutorial. Thank you. :)
    Robbie Kass likes this.
  3. Micha der Wolf

Micha der Wolf Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Thank you for sharing, beautiful work!
    Robbie Kass likes this.
  4. Ricky Spanish

Ricky Spanish Needle-chuck Ninja

Sweet work... A great SBS
    Robbie Kass likes this.