First real project

P

Paul Dasvis

Any suggestions on a first project that's not just a stencil :)

I can't draw very well (not from scratch), looking for something other than an apple or a stencil mario :)

Need to push myself...

I have a stencil cutting machine, so I could do an outline from a line drawing and use that as a trace on the paper, but that might be cheating :)

Try some of the exercises form airbrustutor Practice some textures and different methods of getting effects. The eye is a good starter.

Starting on the eye tonight, using only black to work on my shading :)

Will be a good test for my new Paasche Talon, I've had their stuff for so many years (didn't do art until recently), and the airbrushes still work (I have one that's 15 years old). I'll stick with what I know (and Iwata's are EXPENSIVE)...

Anyway, good ideas.

Thank You.
-Paul-

I have a stencil cutting machine, so I could do an outline from a line drawing and use that as a trace on the paper, but that might be cheating :)
most artists use lines to landmark where things go. Its not cheating its just a tool to get you where you need to be. check out some of the masters here in the Works in progress / step by step, you'll see they all outline the piece before hitting it with paint. or at the very least use a stencil to mist in the landmarks.
I often suggest colouring in books (or a stencil Mario) it teaches you how to angle a brush to minimise overspray, practise your blends to make shadows and make the subject more 3D..... don't knock the colouring books / stencils while learning.

Back