For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Follow along on a slow Saturday mailbox project?

Discussion in 'Works In Progress & Finished Artworks!' started by heySkippy, Nov 24, 2012.

1. heySkippy

heySkippy Young Tutorling

Hope y'all don't mind the format of this post. I thought it might be fun. I've got it in my head to try once again with some flames on a mailbox and since my camera and computer are right here next to my airbrushes, I'll post and update as I go along today. As always, feel free to tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'm totally making this up as I go along. :)

It all started earlier this morning. I have an old mailbox that's been painted and sanded and repainted a couple times that's been gathering dust under my desk for several months. I had started a different project on it and got discouraged and set it aside which leads me to my first observation.

Public Service Announcement - Don't wrap something in frisket and then leave it for several months. It sticks like crazy and makes a lot of noise when you try to pull it off which will wake your wife up at 5 am on Saturday morning and that's generally a bad thing.
    [​IMG]

It also left some goo spots behind that I couldn't remove, so I ended up sanding the whole thing down. Bless whoever invented 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper!
    [​IMG]

Anyway, I don't know if this is a great surface to paint on or not, but it's what I've got so I used it. Black appliance enamel in a rattle-can applied in the only sunny place I've got this early in the morning. The temp is marginal this morning (about 50 degrees F) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll dry and give a base I can paint on.
    [​IMG]

Speaking of fingers, why can't someone invent a rattle can that doesn't leak? In addition to the mailbox, I've also painted the end of my finger that held the button down. Grrrr....

And on the subject of flames, this isn't my first try. My first try was this one which was followed by my second attempt. I didn't like either of them enough to put in front of the house, but my third attempt I thought was interesting and it's on the post now. I'm hoping today's effort can replace it.

The mailbox is almost dry, so stay tuned for the next step which will involve masking tape and X-acto knives!
  2. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose SuperMod

Skippy , I will be watching this one being , I have made some good money paint up mail boxes:D
    Ask far as rattle cans that do not leak , No such animal that i know of , That is why I bought a mini spray gun :D, Fast, great coverage in less passes,

Oh and pick up some Goo Gone to take off the adhesive fast:D Learn that the hard way too
  3. heySkippy

Masking off.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flames on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm trying hard to do a "less is more" flame job this time. My previous efforts ended with almost no black background left when I was done.

Next up, color!
  4. heySkippy

My fan club. They've been watching me all morning. :)
    [​IMG]
  5. Strictly Attitude

Strictly Attitude Detail Decepticon!

The fan club looks like there waiting patiently for some pettings looking good so far
  6. heySkippy

Put some color on. I think I like it, but not sure. It's not as bright as the color in this picture, the flash has exaggerated a bit.
    [​IMG]

I added some highlights and pulled the tape off.
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow after everything is good and dry I will put some frisket over the parts I've painted and do something to lighten up the unpainted parts so that the flames on black will stand out more. Updates as then come!
  7. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Looks good so far. As for aerosol finger, you used to be able to get a clip on plastic trigger, to avoid that problem, but I haven't seen one for a few years now.
    By the way I'm very jealous of your pool, (1, because you've got one and 2, because it looks bigger than my tiny garden LOL!) and the weather, (which looks lovely) because it's hammered down, and has been howling a gale for 3 days here now *Sigh*. So, I was just wondering when you were inviting us all to a pool party LOL LOL LOL!!!!!
  8. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Found it!!

[​IMG]
  9. bentoad

bentoad Detail Decepticon!

That is a hot mailbox I like bentoad
  10. heySkippy

Sprayed with some Pearl Copper that I had never found a use for.
    [​IMG]

But now I think I've got a disaster. I pulled the frisket off the back side and it took some of my paint up with it. :eek: Is there any hope that I can get the frisket off the rest without lifting paint or is it hopeless?
  11. Stranger375

Stranger375 Young Tutorling

Looks good :)
    And you could try to warm up the frisket abit before pulling it off, it might help.
  12. Seamonkey

Seamonkey Moderator Mod

Cool mail box!!

Josh
  13. heySkippy

Heating helped, but I still lost paint when I removed the frisket. Enough that I painted over those areas with black and am starting the flames again. It won't be done this weekend, but it's not a total loss. I'll work on it after work this week and see where it goes.
  14. gialaouzidis dionisis

gialaouzidis dionisis Needle-chuck Ninja

nice try man but i think that before you shape the flames with white try to background them with red.
  15. heySkippy

Yeah? I'm always open to suggestions. I was under the impression that the white base was needed to make the color show up better. If you could expand on that or point me to a page or video with an example, I'd love to give it a try.
  16. Stranger375

Stranger375 Young Tutorling

The best result you get with more layers of your flames. First layer would be the red background flames, then 2nd layer the orange flame licks, and last the more yellow golden highlights.
    Watch this video Skippy, its the most informative flame video when it comes to waterbased flames.

WICKED TRUE FIRE WITH GEARBOXXX ROX - YouTube