Frustrated

Vince Driver

Needle-chuck Ninja
I'm using a Badger Krome and a Master TC 20 compressor. Painting inside and having a time with moisture. I have a moisture trap at the compressor and another at the gun but I'm still getting moisture into the gun. Any suggestions on mods that could help or is the solution a better compressor with a tank? Thanks in advance.

Is this a tankless compressor? If so the only thing I can think of is empty the filters regularly, and make sure your hose is dry. Maybe get a longer hose? Figure it would be harder for water to get through, and maybe a curly one might help? Just guessing.

Was working on my PP this morning and splat, there is the moisture again. Just added the trap at the gun. Will look into your suggestions and see what I can do. Thank you.

the best solution is to get a compressor with a tank , not only will it solve the moisture problem but it will also provide a steady air flow and you have less problems with overheating

the best solution is to get a compressor with a tank , not only will it solve the moisture problem but it will also provide a steady air flow and you have less problems with overheating
That is the plan but not at this moment. Looking at a couple of different ones.

That is the plan but not at this moment. Looking at a couple of different ones.

I don't wish to counter the others' answers but that splat you mention could also be the result of premature separation of paint while in the cup, this has been the case for me a time or two, although if your compressor is running a lot without regular breaks Ron and Squish are naturally on the ball :)

I know all about that frustration, it's the main reason I hide behind my pencils now:(

I don't wish to counter the others' answers but that splat you mention could also be the result of premature separation of paint while in the cup, this has been the case for me a time or two, although if your compressor is running a lot without regular breaks Ron and Squish are naturally on the ball :)

I know all about that frustration, it's the main reason I hide behind my pencils now:(
When I first started having the problem that's what I was thinking too. It wasn't until I disconnected the hose from my gun and ran the compressor with the open end in my hand that I realized how much moisture I was getting so I added the second trap at the gun. This starts about 20 mins into painting or so.

When I first started having the problem that's what I was thinking too. It wasn't until I disconnected the hose from my gun and ran the compressor with the open end in my hand that I realized how much moisture I was getting so I added the second trap at the gun. This starts about 20 mins into painting or so.

Clever test to find the moisture in your hose, if you can't afford a tanked compressor yet, I would concur with the longer hose, if it's long enough it will actually act as a mini tank, you can even have another filter inline.

I would gather there is high humidity in your home possibly due to a washing machine or rumble drier having been on the go, a small cooling fan next to your compressor might help too.

Humidity inside is about 40%. And AC keeps me at 72°. Outside it's 94° and very humid, like 89%. Gonna put a small fan directed at compressor and get longer hose tonight maybe. Also thinking about re- piping reg/water trap. It's connected right at compressor. Maybe add some line between them.

Vince, have you thought about adding an inline tank? Harbor freight sells some inexpensive tanks and all the fittings you'd need to put it between your compressor and first filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vince, have you thought about adding an inline tank? Harbor freight sells some inexpensive tanks and all the fittings you'd need to put it between your compressor and first filter.

Yes I have but also have been told it was a pain and I'd burn compressor up but if you could give me some direction I'd love to do that.

Vince just trying to be cost effective (as I'm a skinflint, and believer in not throwing good money after bad, and on a very limited budget lol). The cost of new hose, extra tank, any fittings etc - is it worthwhile if you want to upgrade ( and to be honest, with a tankless comp, it is advisable) its money that could be going towards something better. If noise is not an issue a regular comp is probably not going to cost much more. If noise is a problem, then a quietish comp, such as California air are pretty reasonable. And you could get lucky with something second hand/used . Just a thought before you part with more cash, bearing in mind the one you have is working at max the whole time, and will be prone to over heating and other issues.

Last edited:
Vince just trying to be cost effective (as I'm a skinflint, and believer in not throwing good money after bad, and on a very limited budget lol). The cost of new hose, extra tank, any fittings etc - is it worthwhile if you want to upgrade ( and to be honest, with a tankless comp, it is advisable its money that could be going towards something better. If noise is not an issue a regular comp is probably not going to cost much more. If noise is a problem, then a quietish comp, such as California air are pretty reasonable. And you could get lucky with something second hand/used . Just a thought before you part with more cash, bearing in mind the one you have is working at max the whole time, and will be prone to over heating and other issues.
Yes ma'am that's what I was affraid of too. My wife hates that I'm as tight as I am.( Out of the gutter). I've heard about you.lol.
The California compressor is what I was looking at but have recently found that Kobalt makes one too that has the same specs for the most part as the California one does including the 60 db. I live in an apartment so noise is a factor. Kobalt is more readily available and about $100 less expensive.

Squishy is absolutely right. I have a 6 gallon porter cable but I've been looking at the California air 2 gallon silent one so that I can work in the evenings.

My porter cable is on a covered patio under a work bench and I have a line run in to my work area with a regulator mounted on the wall for convenience. I have no worry of sound inside the house but I can't work in the evenings because of neighbors. So I'm thinking a small comp would suit my needs for this. We'll see.

Squishy is absolutely right. I have a 6 gallon porter cable but I've been looking at the California air 2 gallon silent one so that I can work in the evenings.

My porter cable is on a covered patio under a work bench and I have a line run in to my work area with a regulator mounted on the wall for convenience. I have no worry of sound inside the house but I can't work in the evenings because of neighbors. So I'm thinking a small comp would suit my needs for this. We'll see.

You may be interested in the Kobalt since you are in the states. That's probably what I'll go with due to the fact that they are stocked at Lowe's Home Improvement stores.https://m.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Quiet...Electric-Twin-Stack-Air-Compressor/1000125721

You can build a tank out of pvc pipe for under $15 including the fittings.
You get a tank for cheap until your ready to upgrade your compressor.

Buy a length of pvc at your home improvement store, sizing is up to you as 4,6,8 inch diameter.I would build either two tanks stacked on top of each other or three in a triangle, two on the bottom one on top. However many your going to make you will need two caps for each. If your going with multiple tanks (more than one) I would use plastic quick connect fittings (usually 1/4" hose) and drill a hole in the middle of each cap and epoxy the plastic quick connect into the drilled hole,assembly them. Pvc glue is not needed but if you have it I would use it.
Two caps should be drilled for metal quick connects that you use on normal air lines. You can get I believe 5 or 7 QD at harborfreight for a couple bucks and definitely use brass over steel.

One cap will be where your air enters (brass QD) then link the other end using the plastic QD to the next pvc air tank and keep doing that until your satisfied with the amount of tanks you have and the last cap will be drilled for another brass QD which will be where your air exits going into your airbrush hose.

Not sure if that makes sense, it's been a long day...
If you want I can build one and take pictures and lay out a basic blueprint with parts needed and actual SBS directions. Just let me know and I'll do it on the 5th and post it on the 5th or 6th.

If you do the two on bottom one on top design you can use a bungee cord to hold them together or metal/plastic strapping and mount the strapping to a piece of thin wood.

Of course pricing greatly varies with what you actually have on hand vs buying everything, but pvc is very cheap as well as the plastic tubing the most expensive part would be the QD and the epoxy.
If you don't want to buy the plastic QD you could probably get away with just drilling a slightly undersized hole and epoxing the line in the cap and build up the epoxy on each side of the cap.

You can also pack one tank with brass or stainless pot scrubbers which will greatly reduce the chance of water getting threw the tanks, basically your making a "catch can" which is used on higher end engine builds.

Back