FW Inks Query

V

V-Twin

Tried searching on here, but could not find what I was after.

I have several bottles of FW Ink, is there anything I need to be aware of when using them, either to do with the brush, or subtrate. I will most probably be using them on Acrylic Paper. I also have a couple of Pearls too (ahem, paint; not bottles of pearls, wish I did have a few bottles of em, I could buy a CM-C, new car, and anything left over donate some new tyres to Tuffnutz so he doesn't have to use his paint for tread patterns :) ).

What are their effects when sprayed neat and diluted, ie do they work the same way as Transparent paints?
I have a marine fish in mind which is very colourful and bright, and thought these Inks would look better than Com-Art stuff (which I like) and I am itching to try them out.

Basically, just fishin' for any salient info and pearls of wisdom :laugh: lol

Because I have the time, i've done some digging and found the following, but i agree, there's not a lot of info on FW Inks and airbrushing

The Daler Rowney FW "ink" is not really an ink but a very thin acrylic. It is quite tough ans opaque. With a primer and clear it can be used on models. .

http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/anyone-tried-fw-artists-acrylic-ink.14954/#post-220281

and a few comments from various sites regarding the Pearlescents :
" Rowney Acrylic inks work well in an airbrush. However, I recommend avoiding the Pearlescent Inks they offer. The metallic particles block up the nozzle quickly and are very difficult to apply with an airbrush. I have every non-pearlescent color they offer and all work great. Just pay attention to your air pressure. I have the least trouble with tip dry using FW Acrylic inks compared to any of the other airbrush paints. Acrylic inks are my preferred medium to airbrush with. They have a large selection of Transparent, as well as Opaque inks. These also mix quickly and easily to achieve other colors and shades."

"Pigments are large in particle size so will not go through fine line nozzles for airbrushes, nor will they be suitable for technical pens or fountain pens. The best means of applying pearlescent colours is by using a dipper pen, ruling pen or brush."

"Given that these are not 'true' inks, I prefer the Etac EFX"

I’ve wondered about these too. Thanks for those links Jackie. I see a lot of people using them but I don’t really
Know anything about them either. Hopefully I’ll find out more from this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep talking myself out of inks, I’ve plenty of Createx and E’tac EFX. Bought the Tru 8 trident set awhile back and that’s still untouched.
I really need to do more painting, and some bigger pieces too. Paintpals don’t use enough paint to put much of a dent in my supplies lol

I'm glad I read this, I have been considering FW inks, mainly because I can get them local, but in light of the info here and indeed the thread linked by @JackEb I shall put the idea out of my heado_O

Yes the use of the word “ink” is not quite true in this case. I’m sure there are ‘true’inks available

Yes the use of the word “ink” is not quite true in this case. I’m sure there are ‘true’inks available

Schminke aero colour is also classed an ink, although also not a true ink it does work well for airbrushing and is easy enough to erase on smoother papers, I would have gone for that if I could get it local, money is too tight these days to waste on shipping charges so I have little choice but to stick to what I can find local, both the art shops I use in Glasgow sell, FW, Winsor and Newton and Liqutex, I have a bottle of black Liquitex which I haven't actually tried yet.

Last edited:
Jackie, thanks for the link and your time on this, much appreciated. I had read the info in that link previously. I think I am gonna have a go with them on the marine fish I mentioned, as I like the look of the Acrylic Inks bright colours, also as was suggested in the link, that they are great for highlights, shading and stuff with other paints, I might use them that way also.

It's a bit of a pain in the jacksy looking for good info on FW Acrylic Inks, as just about everything you come across is all on Createx paint lines.

Jackie, thanks for the link and your time on this, much appreciated. I had read the info in that link previously. I think I am gonna have a go with them on the marine fish I mentioned, as I like the look of the Acrylic Inks bright colours, also as was suggested in the link, that they are great for highlights, shading and stuff with other paints, I might use them that way also.

It's a bit of a pain in the jacksy looking for good info on FW Acrylic Inks, as just about everything you come across is all on Createx paint lines.

I get the idea that these inks were intended for calligraphy and dip pens and such, similar to Indian ink, both the art art shops I use have them next to all the calligraphy pens and materials.

I get the idea that these inks were intended for calligraphy and dip pens and such, similar to Indian ink, both the art art shops I use have them next to all the calligraphy pens and materials.
Malky, NO; they are used for both Airbrushing and Pens. The label on the bottles has little pictograms showing what they can be used in.

upload_2018-8-9_15-1-11.jpeg

As you can see, they can be used in Airbrushes, and sprayed onto other materials (cloth etc).

I don't have the FW inks but I have quite a collection of Dr. Marten's ink, and it sprays quite nicely through my brushes. I found that thinning them somewhere between 1:1 and 3:1 with alcohol works really well- thinning with water just didn't work out very well. Amazingly they did seem to work better through a larger nozzle. My .15 Infinity didn't want to spray them, but that could have been before I figured out how to thin them.
I would be wary of spraying the pearls if they have particles in them. Use a big needle!

Best review I've ever seen on inks: "You know this is just ACRYLIC PAINT, right?"

Malky, NO; they are used for both Airbrushing and Pens. The label on the bottles has little pictograms showing what they can be used in.

View attachment 55475

As you can see, they can be used in Airbrushes, and sprayed onto other materials (cloth etc).

I can't count how many times I've had these bottles in my hand and have never noticed that, I should have gone to Specsaverslol

Still useless to me though if I can't erase them:(

I can't count how many times I've had these bottles in my hand and have never noticed that, I should have gone to Specsaverslol

Still useless to me though if I can't erase them:(
If you're having erasing issues, you're not using the right grinding wheel, Malky! lol

Back