G'Day

P

PJV

G'Day all from Ozzie land my name Paul I am a Kustom fishing rod builder I try to make Kustom gear I'm into making lures but never airbrushed before but my biggest question is painting a rods blanks I have a lot of people asking me to paint pink and fluro pink any help would be good

Welcome to the Forum,I am a lure maker/painter .I posted on your other post for help in painting plastic lures,and you can use the same thing to do your fishing rod's just use a good clear after painting them.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hey there! Hope you find the advice you’re after. I’m sure you will. Post up some pictures when you’ve tried some lures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Paul from Paul in OZ too
Most fishing rods are made from Polyester resin to fill in between the glass or carbon fibers There a few rare ones made from a Polyurethane type resin
I have not done any painting with the waterbased paints but I have used the hi solids PU paints to paint boats made from polyester resin (fiberglass boats) the key was always to wash with a truck wash 600 to 800 grit them, watered down truck wash again rinse wipe dry with chamois plastic adhesive promoter misted on then Hi solids PU paint

Becareful of auto 1K acrylics and enamels and to a slightly lesser degree 2K as they absorb water after an hour or 3 submerged will change color slightly and peel off sooner or later
That is as far as my knowledge go's

G'Day all from Ozzie land my name Paul I am a Kustom fishing rod builder I try to make Kustom gear I'm into making lures but never airbrushed before but my biggest question is painting a rods blanks I have a lot of people asking me to paint pink and fluro pink any help would be good

I can't help myself

G'Day mate from Paul in N.S.W
Paul's are coming out of the woodwork
Its the 4th Paul I have meet on the site today

What do you reckon PAUL's...... Pauls Orange Airbrush Forum .... PAUL's UNite lollollollol

These guys sell airbrushes and all the kind of stuff associated with it they have vids on lure painting and some of the guys are keen fisho's
Barra lure painting and their Aussie. Oh And I pint lures as well
http://www.airbrushmegastore.com/in...t&page=shop.browse&category_id=1945&Itemid=88

Last edited:
Welcome from New Zealand! Be interested to see your lure work (and the custom rods... much drooling there). There are some solid toothy critters over on our western isle.

I don't know much about the rods, but , And anybody who knows when we are talking rods specifically please correct me if I'm wrong.
If it's carbon fiber and sometimes with fiberglass (though here it is more often polyester or vinyl ester) then it is typically an epoxy resin. In which case I'd suggest an epoxy primer. Vinyl ester resins or epoxy resins like epoxy primer and epoxy resin is very picky about that.

Thanks to all Paul's I have Fb page Kustom fishing rods I have some pic

Back