Gesso

S

Smiler65

having read a few threads on people using mdf coated in gesso,@Madbrush and @beanpoleuk spring to mind, I looked into buying some but there seems to be a few different options and was looking for clarity on which one to use.

having read a few threads on people using mdf coated in gesso,@Madbrush and @beanpoleuk spring to mind, I looked into buying some but there seems to be a few different options and was looking for clarity on which one to use.

If you can find the white pre-primed stuff which commonly used for the back of wardrobes and stuff, you can usually find it at B&Q and such, I normally buy an 8 feet by four feet sheet and let them cut it for me to different sizes, normally the same sizes as the two Scholershamer papers I have, just bigger than A4 and just bigger than A3, if you find this stuff, a couple of thin coats of gesso (sprayed if you can) will suffice otherwise you will need to sand.

If you use the normal bare 4mm MDF you will have to give it more coats with lots of sanding in between unless you can spray on every coat, I normally give two or three coats of household acrylic primer which is cheaper and then a couple of coats of gesso but that's before I discovered the wardrobe stuff;)

I recently bought a mini HVLP gun with 0.8 mm nozzle as did Mr Bean, lol, he actually bought his first and I couldn't see green excremente go by me so I had get one too:thumbsup:

If you can find the white pre-primed stuff which commonly used for the back of wardrobes and stuff, you can usually find it at B&Q and such, I normally buy an 8 feet by four feet sheet and let them cut it for me to different sizes, normally the same sizes as the two Scholershamer papers I have, just bigger than A4 and just bigger than A3, if you find this stuff, a couple of thin coats of gesso (sprayed if you can) will suffice otherwise you will need to sand.

If you use the normal bare 4mm MDF you will have to give it more coats with lots of sanding in between unless you can spray on every coat, I normally give two or three coats of household acrylic primer which is cheaper and then a couple of coats of gesso but that's before I discovered the wardrobe stuff;)

I recently bought a mini HVLP gun with 0.8 mm nozzle as did Mr Bean, lol, he actually bought his first and I couldn't see green excremente go by me so I had get one too:thumbsup:

Cheers Malky
I Remembered the thread about using the pre primed mdf,if I remembered correctly I think you even broke down the price of each panel, so I'll be sourcing that out, if I can save a couple of prep courses I'm all for that,being the lazy sod I amlol.

My question was more about which Gesso to buy but as usual I didn't get my point over clearly. Will look at the price of a mini HVLP gun, if it's not to costly and making prepping the boards easier I'll go down that route,otherwise it will be paint brushes, rollers and wet n dry paper.

Cheers Malky
I Remembered the thread about using the pre primed mdf,if I remembered correctly I think you even broke down the price of each panel, so I'll be sourcing that out, if I can save a couple of prep courses I'm all for that,being the lazy sod I amlol.

My question was more about which Gesso to buy but as usual I didn't get my point over clearly. Will look at the price of a mini HVLP gun, if it's not to costly and making prepping the boards easier I'll go down that route,otherwise it will be paint brushes, rollers and wet n dry paper.

It doesn't matter which gesso you buy, gesso is gesso whatever brand it is, it is basically an artists' acrylic primer based on a chalk base with binders for going over canvas and other substrates, it is favoured by some hairy brush artists because of the ability to apply it with a pallet knife allowing them to create some cool fresco effects among others, some artists even apply their paints with a pallet knife and the gesso helps them start and finish with the effect they may be looking for.

So basically go for the cheapest you can find, you will probably find that even if it was "too cheap" it would probably perform more to your liking, generally cheaper gessos contain more water therefore requiring more coats to get the same coverage, however if you find the pre-primed board you won't be after for coverage, you will simply be creating a surface which you can erase ans scrape with relative ease, I actually believe that @beanpoleuk is now addicted to the process, lol

I consider @Madbrush the expert on Gesso coated MDF :) and yes my MDF came from B&Q, the Gesso I got from the local HobbyCraft store. The Mini HVLP gun saves a lot of sanding which I find the most boring thing in the world :).

I think you can get different grades of Gesso some harder than other I just picked up whatever was on the shelf at Hobbycraft.

It doesn't matter which gesso you buy, gesso is gesso whatever brand it is, it is basically an artists' acrylic primer based on a chalk base with binders for going over canvas and other substrates, it is favoured by some hairy brush artists because of the ability to apply it with a pallet knife allowing them to create some cool fresco effects among others, some artists even apply their paints with a pallet knife and the gesso helps them start and finish with the effect they may be looking for.

So basically go for the cheapest you can find, you will probably find that even if it was "too cheap" it would probably perform more to your liking, generally cheaper gessos contain more water therefore requiring more coats to get the same coverage, however if you find the pre-primed board you won't be after for coverage, you will simply be creating a surface which you can erase ans scrape with relative ease, I actually believe that @beanpoleuk is now addicted to the process, lol

Yep I am now a Gesso junky , but it doesnt work on T-Shirts :-(

I consider @Madbrush the expert on Gesso coated MDF :) and yes my MDF came from B&Q, the Gesso I got from the local HobbyCraft store. The Mini HVLP gun saves a lot of sanding which I find the most boring thing in the world :).

I think you can get different grades of Gesso some harder than other I just picked up whatever was on the shelf at Hobbycraft.

Ha ha ha, I'm definitely no expert, I first heard of Gesso when I first joined the forum but I looked into it a bit as well looking for ways to keep the cost of substrates down, and then it was only a few months ago I found out the ampersand "Artists board" is effectively the same thing, that's just coincidence, nothing at all to do with being clever, in fact I have been accused of being clever too many times, if it's all right with you guys I would like to retain my level of stupidity, an asset I am in fact very proud of, lol

Thanks gents, just been looking at hvlp guns, seen a couple for around £15 but with different size nozzles 1mm upwards,any recommendations on size?

I did see different grades of gesso, ie artist or graduate, but if the cheap stuff is good enough I'll go that route.

Thanks gents, just been looking at hvlp guns, seen a couple for around £15 but with different size nozzles 1mm upwards,any recommendations on size?

I did see different grades of gesso, ie artist or graduate, but if the cheap stuff is good enough I'll go that route.

Are you looking at mine guns?, I chose a 0.8 so a I could use my current compressor at 30 psi, 1.0mm is also good, generally the larger the nozzle the less thinning you'll need but too big a nozzle will need more pressure which shouldn't be a problem if you have a decent size compressor, mine is a cheap one with 3 litre tank but the 0.8 works fine with it although it would likely overheat if I used it continuously, I normally only do four panels at a time but I can have access to a spray shop to use if I need it.

eBay item number 141340889087 is what I'm considering. Must admit I'm not clued up on them but it looks pretty :rolleyes:. I do have a decent compressor with a 15ltr tank,a junair silent jobbie, but I don't need to do all the panels at the same time.

eBay item number 141340889087 is what I'm considering. Must admit I'm not clued up on them but it looks pretty :rolleyes:. I do have a decent compressor with a 15ltr tank,a junair silent jobbie, but I don't need to do all the panels at the same time.

Just had a gander, it's ideal for your gesso, be sure to do a little test spray when you get, when it sprays you will notice it produces a flat fan pattern , when you spray a panel start at the top and work from left to right to left again, overlap each pass by 50% as you go, once you cover the whole board either turn the board and repeat the process or turn the nozzle so that the fan is horizontal and work from top to bottom to top again, this insures even flat coverage all over.

Note: the above advice assumes you haven't done this before, if you have done this before simply ignore said advice and call me the tit that I am, lol

No need to call you a tit,it's always nice to have a few pointers to save me making myself look a numpty then asking what went wrong,which seems to be the norm for my learning process:laugh:.

No need to call you a tit,it's always nice to have a few pointers to save me making myself look a numpty then asking what went wrong,which seems to be the norm for my learning process:laugh:.

You can call me tit anytime you want as long you don't call me "clever tit" ha ha ha

I forgot to mention to start and finish each pass off the board, assuming your speed is informed this avoids heavy buildup on the edges of your boards, if this happens and you try to sand it away it usually leaves an ugly crater under the highest part of the buildup, this happens because the paint under that point takes longer to dry so it comes off on one go, interesting stuff fluid dynamics combined with viscosity;)

Back