Getting a gravity fed AB!

D

Darmatwil

Christmas is my time to ask family for funds to buy art supplies. This year I get to purchase a gravity feed AB. I have been using Paasche VL's. They are doing OK, I can't seem to get a real find line though. Even with a #1 needle and cap they only go down to about 1\16". Anyway, my point is I am looking at the Iwata Eclipse. I am planning on using the Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon. :thumbsup:I am planning on doing all AB pieces this next semester in my advanced painting class and want something that I can produce very fine details with.

The Eclipse is more of a workhorse, but you can get fine detail out of it. You can't really go wrong getting one, but it's not really a detail brush by design.

Jagardn, what would be a good detail in a comparable price range. I have been reading about the different AB's out there but they all sound good.

Jagardn, what would be a good detail in a comparable price range. I have been reading about the different AB's out there but they all sound good.

HP-BH (+) would be your next best choice if you wish to stick with Iwata, it has 0.2 setup and you can have it or without the mac valve, I have one and don't really need anything else, with your 40% off coupon you should get a great deal.

Best values in detail brushes...
(I'm categorizing detail as a .2mm nozzle or less)

Iwata - HP-A+, HP-B+, HP-SB+
H&S - Evolution (I'd recommend the CR Plus)
Mike Learn - Mojo III
Badger - Renegade Krome

I thought I might show the direction I am going with AB right now. I am working up to my senior show in the fall of 2015. I am planning on keeping everything space themed but adding as much detail as I can. I initially was thinking Iwata because I could pick one up at Hobby Lobby. Anything else I have to order. I live out in the middle of nowhere in Northeast Missouri. I have attached a pic of one of my practice pieces done with Paasche VL's trying to use different needle sizes. I still have problems with spidering when doing single stars.

I am figuring on using the VL's for blocking in backgrounds and things like that. Basicly anything that need larger volumes of paint since they are all siphon feed.

Attachments

• AB Galaxy 04 web.jpg
    AB Galaxy 04 web.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I might show the direction I am going with AB right now. I am working up to my senior show in the fall of 2015. I am planning on keeping everything space themed but adding as much detail as I can. I initially was thinking Iwata because I could pick one up at Hobby Lobby. Anything else I have to order. I live out in the middle of nowhere in Northeast Missouri. I have attached a pic of one of my practice pieces done with Paasche VL's trying to use different needle sizes. I still have problems with spidering when doing single stars.

I am figuring on using the VL's for blocking in backgrounds and things like that. Basicly anything that need larger volumes of paint since they are all siphon feed.

Spidering is either paint that is too thin or psi is too high. The Eclipse CS is a very capable airbrush, you likely wouldn't regret getting it. Most very tiny details can be done with masking techniques and using freehand shields any way. I took Dru Blair's Photorealism class and was really surprised how simple many of the techniques were and that none of them really required a Micron.

I am probably going with the Eclipse CS and also invest in paint. I have 8 2'X3' stretched canvas panels to paint this coming semester. I need lots of paint. I am going with Wicked colors.

I got the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS. I had been wondering if there really was that big of a difference in airbrushes. Well, I now know there is a huge difference. I have played with not enough to know that I would have never gotten what I wanted from my VL's. I am going to keep them and use them for big expanse painting. This Iwata is amazing!

I got the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS. I had been wondering if there really was that big of a difference in airbrushes. Well, I now know there is a huge difference. I have played with not enough to know that I would have never gotten what I wanted from my VL's. I am going to keep them and use them for big expanse painting. This Iwata is amazing!

The right equipment makes all the difference. I had one Chinese knockoff and haven't touched it pretty much since the day I bought it. I had one Iwata and one H&S at the time, there was no comparison.

Back