Grafo T1 (by Harder & Steenbeck)

DaveG

Airbush Analyst
I picked up a Grafo T1 to play with. I will work on transferring my initial impression write up from my Facebook page (DaveG's Airbrush Exploration) to here, so that it will be embedded for anyone that might be interested.

grafo-in-box2.jpg

Most notable feature of the brush is that it has what is referred to as a "Fixed Double Action Trigger". You do not push down on it, only draw back on it. The initial movement of the trigger initiates air flow, and then at a pre-set distance, paint flow will be initiated.

Until I have time to upload all the info directly to this site, you can check out my initial impressions here - https://www.facebook.com/pg/davegs.airbrush.exploration/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1142549619183958

If you have questions, please feel free to ask - I will do my best to answer, or find out.

One thing I will say, I like the brush, and can see that I will be using it as part of a normal routine - looking forward to spending more time with it.

Last edited:
ooh... ahh... drool... can't wait to see more! I would love to try a Grafo myself!

ooh... ahh... drool... can't wait to see more! I would love to try a Grafo myself!

You have an Infinity, don't you? The Grafo feels very much the same in hand. I prefer the trigger on the Grafo over my Infinity, although the auto-air-on takes some getting used to. For me, the trigger on the Infinity feels a bit mushy, and I find it tiring to use. With just a little tweaking to the trigger on the Grafo, it is very light and smooth.

Try clicking the link in the original post (above) to see my FB write up on it - it is public, and you should be able to see it. Juts click on each photograph in the album to read the info attached to each.

Interesting setup with the air/paint. Like one of the Iwata trigger styles, right? Do you have to change the speed you are moving compared to other brushes? I'm thinking that when ending a stroke, the speed of your arm has as much to do with a dagger as the speed you move the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting setup with the air/paint. Like one of the Iwata trigger styles, right? Do you have to change the speed you are moving compared to other brushes? I'm thinking that when ending a stroke, the speed of your arm has as much to do with a dagger as the speed you move the trigger.

The Grafo works just like a trigger airbrush or a spray gun. First bit of the pull is only air and then you can control the paint like you do with a normal airbrush. The further you pull back the more paint you get. Correct dagger strokes only rely on trigger control and smooth movement. Speed of movement stays the same throughout the stroke. Don't get a dagger stroke confused with a comet tail where you change distance while moving the airbrush.

Don't get a dagger stroke confused with a comet tail where you change distance while moving the airbrush.

Gah. Not enough coffee yet. I was thinking comet tails, but the talk over in the paint pal thread about sending dagger strokes and dots was on my mind.

That explanation helps. I've been trying to wrap my mind around the way this works. I think I've got it. Sounds like once you get used to it, it's really the way to go.

... Sounds like once you get used to it, it's really the way to go.

It is different, and it has been a bit of a learning curve. I am enjoying working with the brush, but am by no means ready to give up a conventional trigger altogether. I tend to use a very soft touch with a trigger, and am able to regulate airflow while working - with the Grafo, you are on 100%, or off 100% - nothing in between. So, I am using my hose mac valve much more frequently. Not difficult, but a different routine than I normally work... As mentioned earlier, for me the actual action of the trigger on the Grafo is smoother and easier than the Infinity (for me) so it makes the Grafo a brush I would choose to use first - especially if looking at working for extended periods of time. I still have other brushes that I would go to first overall, though...

Back