Greetings from Tasmania Australia

J

John Doubleday

Hi All,
I am new to Airbrushing but as a Design & Technology teacher (are there any others on this forum?) I would like to use this process in my High School Automotive class. Looking forward to learning a new skill. As yet I do not have a machine so I am open to ideas, most likely a couple of brushes cheap and not so etc etc

Welcome Home John
There use to be a lot of forums like this but most of them have closed up shop but we are going strong.
You students are welcome to join in here too.

Welcome aboard John,
We do have a few teachers here, but I'm not sure what their area of expertise is.

You've mentioned using an airbrush in you're automotive class. Do you expect the students to put art work on a vehicle / helmet or are you planning on spraying the entire vehicle/helmet

If we knew exactly what youre hoping to do then we are better equipped to guide you.

Welcome aboard John,
We do have a few teachers here, but I'm not sure what their area of expertise is.

You've mentioned using an airbrush in you're automotive class. Do you expect the students to put art work on a vehicle / helmet or are you planning on spraying the entire vehicle/helmet

If we knew exactly what youre hoping to do then we are better equipped to guide you.
Thanks for the quick reply. I do appreciate that. I am coming into airbrushing partly for my own use. I build and restor all sorts of machinery but have a strong 'design' focus that my students seem to enjoy and that produces some amazing results for student so young. Up until now it has mostly been 3D but I have a student who wants to come into my class next year who is really a gifted graphics artist...and she is only Year 9. Having her in my class creates the need for some graphics equipment and Airbrush is the Tool. Not all students will use the equipment. It will be most likely be in the personal choice project for Term 3 and 4.
As for what we will spray...that is a great question. anything from skateboards, model cars to engine parts that we make into Clocks and other projects in Term 3 and 4. Airbrushing is also an intro into 'finishing' which is a big part of Auto

Then allow me to suggest an Iwata Eclipse CS gravity feed airbrush . They hold up well for years , Replacement parts(if Needed) are very affordable and with the .35 nozzle it would work for anything you have on your project list.
It can do fine detail but like everything in life that comes from a lot of practice time, Dots and dagger strokes. Check out AirbrushTutor's youtube page he has great exercises for the beginners .

Welcome from New Zealand. The AB is a tricky tool for a once off sort of deal. Lots of things to learn right off the bat that can make it tricky in a classroom environment. The exercisesc the airbrushtutor has are great for getting things going. Might be worth doing some simple stenciling. Maybe start a new thread with that as a discussion topic. I can't agree more with the eclipse comment. Great starter brushes. In the classroom environment make sure you use a water based paint. Com-art or Golden High Flow or Trident would work. Maybe have a chat with Steve at 'airbrush megastore' , he's on your main Island.

Then allow me to suggest an Iwata Eclipse CS gravity feed airbrush . They hold up well for years , Replacement parts(if Needed) are very affordable and with the .35 nozzle it would work for anything you have on your project list.
It can do fine detail but like everything in life that comes from a lot of practice time, Dots and dagger strokes. Check out AirbrushTutor's youtube page he has great exercises for the beginners .
Yes I have see these often...what about Olympos?....all new products to me.
I expect I will need a cheap gun to spray wide areas, or just use a spray can for primer and base coat and use the airbrush for fine work. We have a sand blaster to prepare projects but am also looking to purchase one for myself, for 'home work':))

Stick with the iwata Eclipse as Mr.micron has suggested. The Olympus needle are very fragile and not the sort of hassle a newbie needs
I'd suggest the Createx wicked or wicked detail if you're wanting to do art on the surface of choice, it's a good all round paint that is often used in high end car art.
Auto air sealers are also a good base. Both these products are water Bourne so don't need the full blown spray booth requirement of urethanes
And @markjthomson is spot on. Give Steve a call and he will give honest guidance to what is needed

Olympos was the fore runner to Iwata. They sold the Micron design to Iwata and are very similar. The main thing is the company is dubious for providing spare parts. The needles in the Olympos are quite fine which is awesome for control but they bend very easily.

Do you have any extraction fans...?

Do you have any background in applying finishes?

Olympos was the fore runner to Iwata. They sold the Micron design to Iwata and are very similar. The main thing is the company is dubious for providing spare parts. The needles in the Olympos are quite fine which is awesome for control but they bend very easily.

Do you have any extraction fans...?

Do you have any background in applying finishes?
Yes we have a massive compressor, so should be able to tap a line in to that as well as fume extraction in welding bays but hope to use water based to start with.
Yes I have mucked around with spray painting wood and metal projects over the years, using full size guns but not at this school. We only use cans. I would really like the students to feel the experience of setting up for a spray system other than cans and the few to take it to the next level. Airbrushing can be pretty cool , even basic stuff and I am always looking for ways to inspire the students

Yes I have see these often...what about Olympos?....all new products to me.
I expect I will need a cheap gun to spray wide areas, or just use a spray can for primer and base coat and use the airbrush for fine work. We have a sand blaster to prepare projects but am also looking to purchase one for myself, for 'home work':))
Olympos =NOS New Old Stock being from my understanding they are no longer in business . Which some of the part from Iwata will fit some of their models the will not fit all of them.
Iwata , Badger , H&S and Paasche are the main ones right now . Mainly I was suggesting one that would be great in not only a class room but one that will do pretty much everything you listed that your class might have a use for it .
I do not see a problem on you posting a link to this site off the one you listed providing it does not break any of their rules.

Welcome from the other side of the globe!
As Mr. Micron wrote, the Iwata Eclipse is a very good brush to start out with. The other stuff he wrote is pretty good to. :)

Please post pictures of your work when you're up and running!

Welcome to the forum John, there is tons of info and experience here. Lots of very talented artists who are willing to help. The forum is very active and theres always someone here to answer a question due to the global membership. There are a few teachers here, i've done my first teaching qualification and an assessing qualification to accompany it but sadly no teaching due to a lack of experience and none of the schools or colleges are willing to let me gain experience even for free. At the moment i've given up but would love to teach art / design / technology as i'm a very hands on person and have 35 years of experience to offer but that means nothing here in the uk in this age. Still hoping and looking though.

Lee

Back