Greyscales the basics

haasje dutchairbrush

Air-Valve Autobot!
As I seem to refer to greyscales a lot in replies I thought I'd make my life a tad easier by making a post I can refer to :witless:. This is by no means the ultimate/sientific write up but should explain the basics.

Greyscales the basics.

When copying a painting, whether in color or monochrome it is important to keep the greyscales (transitions from light to dark) in mind. The light and dark determine how we perceive an image.
When for instance we have a nose the light and dark areas fools our mind that we see a 3d object on a 2d surface. As we are basically fooling our mind this also means that if we don’t get the light dark values correct our mind will perceive it differently. A shadow on the side of the nose that is too dark for instance will in our minds look like it stands further out.
When trying to achieve a realistic look (portraits for example) we need to keep the grey scales in mind.

Basic grey scales.
The basic greyscale (img 1) runs from dark to light, where 1 is black and 10 is white. Now one may think “yup that’s nice but when I see a black and white image that’s obvious”. The way we perceive a value in an image is however influenced by the scales surrounding it. If we take a chess board, a square surrounded by darker squares will be perceived as lighter than a square surrounded by lighter squares.
In img 2 we have a square A and B. Although B looks a lot lighter it is actually the same color (grey value) as A. The difference in perception is caused by the light/dark values of the squares surrounding them.
This means that even when one is doing a straight forward copy of a black and white image it is important to check the value of an area before painting it as one doesn’t want to be fooled by the values surrounding it.

A nice trick to do this is by isolating the part of the reference you are about to do. Cut out a small square in a piece of white paper and keep it on the area you want to paint as you now don’t have any values surrounding it to fool you one can see exactly what value the area has.

Img1:
scales1.jpg

img2:
scales3.jpg

Translating a greyscale.

As an airbrusher we will often want to “translate” an image to another color (sepia is often used in monochrome portraits for instance).

One is than faced with the problem that the black in the reference is actually darker than the darkest the sepia can get.
To solve this we paint a transition from the darkest to the lightest we can get with our paint (carefully layer a transition). We than can add numbers to our transition from 1 to 10. We now have a translation strip (img3). If something on the reference is value 6 for instance you just have a look at your translation strip and find value 6 to know how dark you can go. This way you could even “translate” a black and white painting correctly to a very light color like yellow.

img3:

scales2.jpg

Thanks for sharing this haasje! Though I still can't make my brain believe those 2 squares are the same Lol, I understand what you're saying. This kind of thing is the underpinning knowledge I need, I usually just go by instinct and wing it, but this kind of info is invaluable to someone like me with no art training. So thanks again, you're a legend :)

Thanks for sharing this haasje! Though I still can't make my brain believe those 2 squares are the same Lol, I understand what you're saying. This kind of thing is the underpinning knowledge I need, I usually just go by instinct and wing it, but this kind of info is invaluable to someone like me with no art training. So thanks again, you're a legend :)

To true, very useful info haasje thanks for sharing.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

As I seem to refer to greyscales a lot in replies I thought I'd make my life a tad easier by making a post I can refer to :witless:. This is by no means the ultimate/sientific write up but should explain the basics.

Greyscales the basics.

When copying a painting, whether in color or monochrome it is important to keep the greyscales (transitions from light to dark) in mind. The light and dark determine how we perceive an image.
When for instance we have a nose the light and dark areas fools our mind that we see a 3d object on a 2d surface. As we are basically fooling our mind this also means that if we don’t get the light dark values correct our mind will perceive it differently. A shadow on the side of the nose that is too dark for instance will in our minds look like it stands further out.
When trying to achieve a realistic look (portraits for example) we need to keep the grey scales in mind.

Basic grey scales.
The basic greyscale (img 1) runs from dark to light, where 1 is black and 10 is white. Now one may think “yup that’s nice but when I see a black and white image that’s obvious”. The way we perceive a value in an image is however influenced by the scales surrounding it. If we take a chess board, a square surrounded by darker squares will be perceived as lighter than a square surrounded by lighter squares.
In img 2 we have a square A and B. Although B looks a lot lighter it is actually the same color (grey value) as A. The difference in perception is caused by the light/dark values of the squares surrounding them.
This means that even when one is doing a straight forward copy of a black and white image it is important to check the value of an area before painting it as one doesn’t want to be fooled by the values surrounding it.

A nice trick to do this is by isolating the part of the reference you are about to do. Cut out a small square in a piece of white paper and keep it on the area you want to paint as you now don’t have any values surrounding it to fool you one can see exactly what value the area has.

Img1:
scales1.jpg

img2:
scales3.jpg

Translating a greyscale.

As an airbrusher we will often want to “translate” an image to another color (sepia is often used in monochrome portraits for instance).

One is than faced with the problem that the black in the reference is actually darker than the darkest the sepia can get.
To solve this we paint a transition from the darkest to the lightest we can get with our paint (carefully layer a transition). We than can add numbers to our transition from 1 to 10. We now have a translation strip (img3). If something on the reference is value 6 for instance you just have a look at your translation strip and find value 6 to know how dark you can go. This way you could even “translate” a black and white painting correctly to a very light color like yellow.

img3:

scales2.jpg
just read this again, firstly Haasje thanks again for this, sorry to bother you but can i ask if you were to see, img 2 the chess board, could you tell by looking at squares A and B that they were the same or even close to each other?? suppose what im asking is have you trained your eyes to spot this over years or when you look at img 2 do they look really different to you aswel because to me they look worlds apart, in fact ive read the post several time because i thought i was reading it wrong were it said A and B were the same lol i feel like such an empty nut.

just read this again, firstly Haasje thanks again for this, sorry to bother you but can i ask if you were to see, img 2 the chess board, could you tell by looking at squares A and B that they were the same or even close to each other?? suppose what im asking is have you trained your eyes to spot this over years or when you look at img 2 do they look really different to you aswel because to me they look worlds apart, in fact ive read the post several time because i thought i was reading it wrong were it said A and B were the same lol i feel like such an empty nut.

I by now am able to not being fooled by looking through my eyelashes when I look at a reference, it also helps that after a while you'll start to get a feel for the area's you need to look out for. This chessboard though is the most extreme example I could find and even looking through my eyelashes they look different (althtough the difference is reduced). When showing this to tudents I normaly use photoshop to coppy one square and place it on top of the other to prove it as I think even a verry well trained eye will still be fooled by it.

I by now am able to not being fooled by looking through my eyelashes when I look at a reference, it also helps that after a while you'll start to get a feel for the area's you need to look out for. This chessboard though is the most extreme example I could find and even looking through my eyelashes they look different (althtough the difference is reduced). When showing this to tudents I normaly use photoshop to coppy one square and place it on top of the other to prove it as I think even a verry well trained eye will still be fooled by it.

Ahh ok, i was thinking you had some sort of super power lol im gonna download a grey scale once my ink for my printer comes and start using it more, thanks very much im going to learn a bit more about this then start my painting from scartch.
Peace

Ride the storm

Ecellent advice

Demostration (look like magic)

[video=youtube;z9Sen1HTu5o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Sen1HTu5o[/video]

Thankyou very much for taking the time to give us this valuable and helpful information .

It's amazing how even knowing it doesn't change it

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Great post, great topic.

"Let value lead" is an important point to remember when doing any realistic painting. A colors value (where it lands on the greyscale) is the most important factor our eyes look for to translate an image.

Think of it this way, you can take a black and white photo, put in into Photoshop, and change the black values to any color, and you will still be able to tell what the photo is showing. Hell, some people do that and call it "art", but I digress.

So, of the three factors that make up a color (value, hue, saturation), value is the main one to get right. Every other color can be a little off, but as long as the value is right, the brain will mostly see it as "normal".

Also, using the "window" method (cutting a small square in a piece of white paper) of isolating colors is so effective, I'd consider it vital, at least to my normal painting process.

Just a qiick question here about optical perception.
As one with very limited 3D vision [actually almost none!} most of the images shown ,with the exception of the greyscale itself,
appear to me to be very similar in colour [grey] but I can still see the gradient of the scale very well.Why is this?
I guess this is how my brain has learned to cope with the defect in vision.
They all thought I was just a clutz, as a kid, but it turns out that it was in fact my depth perception or lack thereof.
I personally don't think it has caused me too many problems, but I still can't see those dang 3D images from the mazes!
Even 3D movies at the cinemas are a no-go for me, but I guess that you never miss what you never had.
Cheers,
Splasha

I can't believe that demo in the Utube clip! I just can't get my head arounfd the fact the the "Light" square in the shade is the same as the Dark" square in the light! Amazing!
I don't know wether I should thank you or curse you lol, this has completely thrown all my lifes worth, of Infomation stored, in the bin! I keep looking at things and saying "are they the same grey scale? are they REALLY the same grey scale"!
Of course I'm thanking you - but now I don't know where I am with this information, it has made me hesitant and I can no longer get in the grove because this information keeps getting in the way!

I like the examples. I struggle with the subtleties of the gray scale that is I think my last frontier. Of course until the next frontier come.

Is there a link to the Youtube clip?

This is one of the best things I have learned and just in time. I'm starting my first challenge today and it is a black and white photo reference.

WOW! I just put the checkered board into photo shop. It is almost unbelievable, but they are the same. Its all relative.

Don't know if you found the link but just type Brussup into YouTube there a heap of cool illusions

Back