For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Grinding with Angle Grinder and causing dust storm!

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by Hatpin, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Hatpin

Hatpin Young Tutorling

Hello - I'm hoping someone can help. I'm grinding aluminum with an angle grinding (wearing glasses and mask of course). When I'm done grinding the piece looks great, but my studio is a dust covered mess! I bought one of those little "dust covers" to go over the grinder which hooks into a vacuum, but the bristles are now making a mess and I have a hard time controlling the angle of the grinder with it on.

How do people that do a lot of grinding before painting keep the dust contained? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  2. markjthomson

markjthomson Very happy! Staff Member Mod

Not much you can do except grind in a place that is easy to clean up. Don't grind in the same area as you paint as it is likely to contaminate the area.
  3. Lt4-396

Lt4-396 Gravity Guru

When I'm doing something with alot of dust wood or metal I buy those 99 cent plastic sheets from Lowes and create a little area. Masking tape holds everything in place. If you've ever seen the show Dexter, you're basically doing the same thing.

I had a job this winter that was tig welding an entire twin turbo intercooler piping and dual exhaust out of aluminum and had to grind back and polish the entire system and it kept the rest of my shop very clean.
    It's a little bit of work but so much easier then cleaning the dust from everything when you grind.

Depending on the piece and grinder you can also keep the plate submerged in water, just enough to cover the piece.
    I grind daily on a precision grinder with a oil/water system and there is no dust.
    JackEb and markjthomson like this.
  4. Lt4-396

Lt4-396 Gravity Guru

How big are the pieces your grinding?
  5. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Don't do it in the same place you paint. I just go outside.
    JackEb likes this.