Guitar cracks??

Ok, I know you’ve already posted your steps. But can you go over what you did starting with bare sanded wood all over the headstock, including the time you allowed for coats to dry. Let’s try and get to the bottom of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a cellose sealer for sealing the bare wood , dry time : each 2 coats for a day , total 3 days , sanding in between
finixa dark primer on top ,2 coats, dry time 1 hour , sanding between coats
Autoborne sealer black , 3 coats total , dry sanded the autoborne , dry time before sanding 1 day
Createx gold pearls , dry time also 1 day,
After that day i clearcoated , i left the gitar in my house for a couple of days and now i see the cracks.
When i did the clear and i checked it it didnt had those cracks , the clear showed me the cracks a few days later
I also feel that the clear still isnt hardened since i can push my nail into it.

The problems i think are that my booth temperature was around 6 degrees celcius over night or the clear didnt build up a good enough layer and sinked in? (the clear i used is not a high solid)

I am thinking about sanding it down and put a high solid clear on top of it to "fill" the gitar more , then i have a thicker layer to sand maybe?

Thanks for the respond @SiRoxx , much appreciated

This is just a stab in the dark, but could it be that the clear is shrinking too much? If so, what would cause it to shrink? Is it drying too quickly? I am watching this thread very closely because I'd like to try painting my guitar someday.

I used a cellose sealer for sealing the bare wood , dry time : each 2 coats for a day , total 3 days , sanding in between
Autoborne sealer black , 3 coats total , dry sanded the autoborne , dry time before sanding 1 day
After that day i clearcoated , i left the gitar in my house for a couple of days and now i see the cracks.
When i did the clear and i checked it it didnt had those cracks , the clear showed me the cracks a few days later
I also feel that the clear still isnt hardened since i can push my nail into it.

The problems i think are that my booth temperature was around 6 degrees celcius over night or the clear didnt build up a good enough layer and sinked in? (the clear i used is not a high solid)

I am thinking about sanding it down and put a high solid clear on top of it to "fill" the gitar more , then i have a thicker layer to sand maybe?

Your drying time inbetween the new coats were to quick, prolong between layers, give it and extra 24 hours each perhaps that will resolve

That’s useful detail for sure.
Let me have a look into the drying times of the products and the temp in the booth may have had something to do with it too. I’m not certain of either one, at this point it’s probably the best place to start.

@Jurien72 , Yea i am glad this is a project for myself , so all the problems now will hopefully not happen on a gitar for a client :p , and i think that the clear shrinks indeed , now the plan is to sand the clear down , and use a high build clear on top.

This way i hope i dont sand thru the black n pearls , make it even again , throw a thicker clear on it , and hope for the best

The clearcoat now i used isnt a high solid , wich means appearently that it doesnt build up and give that deep watery look(and fills some spots abit)

Iam gonna try Mobihel 2k clear when i have some cash again, and keep the process posted ofcourse.

@ilzeairbrushing , wich coat do u mean?

@SiRoxx , maybe the temps play a big part also , here in the Netherlands its around 7 degrees celcius , i used that Kristal Clear because it air dries also at low temperatures but it still needs around 20 degrees appearently.

My Airbrush Temple is a little shed in my garden , with a small booth in it.

This really is a tough one. All I can find on the Createx Data Sheets is that they recommend 24° C. Now as we know, airflow is more important that heat in the curing process for these paints. But they also say that the colder the environment, the longer the drying process. I can’t see that you didn’t let it dry as you cleared over it the next day. Createx say a minimum of an hour in perfect conditions. At the moment I’m not sure what has cause the cracks. The only thing I can’t tell you about it the clear. Did you lay down a tack coat and give that time to kick and then do a couple of wetter coats?

Okay for the next time.
You see the craks on bare wood.
To fill it well.
You must first make them bigger.
the problem is that they are so narrow that there is no filler in the craks, but it is on top of it.
Take a knife and cut open the craks.
Then fill them with a 2K epoxy filler.
Sanding it with a sanding block.
Spray a control layer (dust layer).
Sand again until the layer is gone.
Then slowly build up the next layers. pay attention to the drying times.
With acrylic paint it can take 2 weeks before it is completely hardened.
For that time it will still settle.
The thicker the layer and the faster one after another the longer it takes.

Back