Harder and Steenbeck Grafo T2: Jewelry that shoots paint?

tatocorvette

Detail Decepticon!
Hello,

Way before airbrushes, I've been into photography for decades. I've been restoring vintage cameras for a long time. I have hundreds of cameras, but there are a few in particular that stand out:
1954 Asahiflex Tower 23/Asahi-Kogaku 50mm f3.5 lens
IMGP4875

a 1967 Pentax SV with a Super Takumar 55mm f1.8 lens
IMGP7285b

and a 1937 Kodak Junior six-20 Model II among others.
IMGP5640b

Why these? These cameras will NOT do anything different that most others. However, I consider them jewelry that happens to take pictures. The shear beauty, the mechanical precision, the tactile feeling, the weight, the balance, the process... I can go on and on.
This same concept applies many other things. A Ferrari or a Rolls Royce will take you to the same places a Chevy Cobalt or a Toyota Yaris. A Rolex will give the same time as a Casio. But that's not the point for their existence.
Same with airbrushes. I've been a scale modeler all my life. I've been airbrushing for over 30 years. But for my application, almost any airbrush will do. I am not an illustrator. All I want is a nice consistent coat of paint. In fact, for decades my one and only airbrush was a CP1500, a cheap Korean knock-off of the Badger 150.
Then I started into this rabbit hole of collecting and restoring airbrushes (Jim's fault :) ). I love the history and the research involved in this.
In the current world of airbrushes, Harder and Steenbeck stands out as one of those jewelry feeling tools. The finish, precision, performance, etc. are all top notch.

So I succumbed to the lure of another jewelry that happens to be a tool in the form of a Harder and Steenbeck Grafo T2.
Dave has a very nice thread about the Grafo line where it is discussed in detail.
These airbrushes have a peculiar dual action system where the trigger is not pushed down for air. When you move it backwards, it initiates the air and then pulls paint. This is somewhat common in other German airbrushes.
Grafo is a very old name in airbrushes, dating back to the early 20th century. Long story short, Harder and Steenbeck owns it since around 1996.
Currently, H&S offers 3 Grafo models: T1, T2 and T3. The T1 is an A cup gravity feed. The T2 and T3 are side feed sharing the same body.

I just received this T2:
IMGP8378.jpg

This airbrush has a 0.4 setup, not the original 0.2 from the factory. The nozzle, needle and cap are the older style. I'd guess this is from the early 2000s maybe?
@DaveG , any idea? Serial number is 6437 but not sure if that helps.
IMGP8384.jpg

On very close inspection it has some minor pitting on one side. I tried a light polishing but it did not help. Will try later a careful machine buffing. But it looks gorgeous. It was very clean. A light buff and it was pressed into service.
IMGP8404.jpg

IMGP8407.jpg

IMGP8405.jpg

Oops! Missed a spot there to clean! lol
IMGP8410.jpg

IMGP8411.jpg

Works beautifully. I did not find the trigger system awkward at all. I'll do a separate thread about what I did with this airbrush.

Your comments are always appreciated.

Thanks,
Ismael

Attachments

• IMGP8417.jpg
    IMGP8417.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 4
Beautiful addition to your jewelry collection! I think you are in the ball park with the date estimate, from early 2000's to maybe 2016 - 17- somewhere in there. As you get more familiar with the brush, I can suggest you may want to try one of the new v2 needles being produced. The new geometry of the .45 needle is wonderfully versatile. I am not real sure how much the actual nozzle geometry has changed, if at all.. so, I will try to find out.

That is a lovely looking brush. I read Dave's thread on them when you commented on it recently Ismael. I like the trigger style, as in the domed top, I made a similar one before and it had good feel if you like to use your trigger further back on your finger rather than burying your fingertip right in the middle of it.

Great post Ismael, wonderful photos as always to best showcase a beautiful piece of jewelry! I share your view on the quality and finish on the H&S brushes, they are so pretty and this is the best one I reckon.

In terms of pitting spraygunner have a video on restoring a grafo on YouTube. Mine has a little tarnish in places and will need a slight polish. I find a lot of nickel brushes do. I will probably then apply some kind of protective automotive polish/balm on mine to maintain the shine long term. I wonder if anyone else has figured out what works best for that?

Beautiful addition to your jewelry collection! I think you are in the ball park with the date estimate, from early 2000's to maybe 2016 - 17- somewhere in there. As you get more familiar with the brush, I can suggest you may want to try one of the new v2 needles being produced. The new geometry of the .45 needle is wonderfully versatile. I am not real sure how much the actual nozzle geometry has changed, if at all.. so, I will try to find out.
I looked yesterday and it’s about £50 for a full v2 nozzle kit so I’d be interested in your findings also.

congratulations Ismael, beautiful Gem you got there. I have a T1 and love it, a T2 or T3 are on my wish list. I hope you enjoy your Grafo 😉

Back