Harder & Steenbeck Ultra 2

Dalboy

Double Actioner
Any one had any experience of the Harder & Steenbeck Ultra 2 air brush if so what is it like for performance. Can it be used for a good coverage as well as fine detail.
It is a package deal with two cups 2ml and 5ml and two needle/nozzle sizes one being 0.2 and the other 0.4
I am looking at this one to decorate some of the turnings I already own cheaper airbrushes and found they have there limitations especially in the quality of usage

I do not have an Ultra, but do have both an Infinity CR+ and a Grafo - both made by Harder and Steenbeck, and both use the same nozzles and needles as the Ultra. I find them to be very well made brushes. I prefer the Grafo for fine detail, as in my examples, it just seems to work better. I have documented much of my findings with it, but it came with a .15 nozzle and needle combo that just performs better than anything I have gotten in the Infinity. With a .2 set up, the Infinity catches up in performance, and it is fine with the .4.

I use the Ultra, with the 0.2 setup and find it very good. The trigger takes a bit of getting used to and I found the spring to be a little too stiff so changed it for a softer spring which I got in a set of miniature springs from eBay. I also changed the needle and nozzle cap to the same as on my infinity. You will get better coverage with the 0.4 setup. Also cleaning is simple, no tools required and the nozzle is big enough to handle easily.I think it is a great brush.

Thank you fr the response it seems like a fair brush and worth investing in. Now the big question is do I order it or just drop big hints as a present:laugh:

I do not have an Ultra, but do have both an Infinity CR+ and a Grafo - both made by Harder and Steenbeck, and both use the same nozzles and needles as the Ultra. I find them to be very well made brushes. I prefer the Grafo for fine detail, as in my examples, it just seems to work better. I have documented much of my findings with it, but it came with a .15 nozzle and needle combo that just performs better than anything I have gotten in the Infinity. With a .2 set up, the Infinity catches up in performance, and it is fine with the .4.

Hi DaveG
is it the instant on of the Infinity's air compared to the Grafo's slightly progressive you find more attractive between the 2 or something else. You thoughts would be appreciated as I have extended my budget on 3 AB's and the commonality of parts is attractive with H&S. The large nozzles of the Colani could be handy with pearl bases and small flake I use on fishing lures I am having trouble with putting hands on AB,s to test so, I research

Hi DaveG
is it the instant on of the Infinity's air compared to the Grafo's slightly progressive you find more attractive between the 2 or something else. You thoughts would be appreciated as I have extended my budget on 3 AB's and the commonality of parts is attractive with H&S. The large nozzles of the Colani could be handy with pearl bases and small flake I use on fishing lures I am having trouble with putting hands on AB,s to test so, I research

There are several factors that that have me giving the nod to the Grafo over the Infinity - there is a rather long thread on this forum where I detailed some of my exploration into the dilemma of the two - For whatever reason, the nozzle that came in the .15 Grafo set up works MUCH better than the .15 in the Infinity. I ordered 4 more nozzles hoping to find another like the one in the Grafo, but they did not work as well - Using the .15 set up on the Infinity has paint initiation being ambiguous, where the Grafo is very precise, and consistent. Switching to a .2 set up in the Infinity has it working better, but... It isn't a "feeling" kind of thing - there is a visual difference in the nozzle that works really well, and the rest - unfortunately I have not been able to find another one that works as well...

One other thing that bugs the crap out of me with the Infinity is that the trigger feel is rather mushy - and it gets worse the further back you pull it. I am sure it has to do with the auxiliary lever being captured on the trigger post, but it is a feeling I can not tune out of the brushes action, and it is a negative for me.

Since my first post here on the subject, I have purchased more parts for the Infinity, and am now at the point in testing where I can just say that it is a brush I just don't care for. I have enough experience working with brushes that I should be able to get this thing to work better for me than it does, so I find it easier to simply reach for something else to use.

There are several factors that that have me giving the nod to the Grafo over the Infinity - there is a rather long thread on this forum where I detailed some of my exploration into the dilemma of the two - For whatever reason, the nozzle that came in the .15 Grafo set up works MUCH better than the .15 in the Infinity. I ordered 4 more nozzles hoping to find another like the one in the Grafo, but they did not work as well - Using the .15 set up on the Infinity has paint initiation being ambiguous, where the Grafo is very precise, and consistent. Switching to a .2 set up in the Infinity has it working better, but... It isn't a "feeling" kind of thing - there is a visual difference in the nozzle that works really well, and the rest - unfortunately I have not been able to find another one that works as well...

One other thing that bugs the crap out of me with the Infinity is that the trigger feel is rather mushy - and it gets worse the further back you pull it. I am sure it has to do with the auxiliary lever being captured on the trigger post, but it is a feeling I can not tune out of the brushes action, and it is a negative for me.

Since my first post here on the subject, I have purchased more parts for the Infinity, and am now at the point in testing where I can just say that it is a brush I just don't care for. I have enough experience working with brushes that I should be able to get this thing to work better for me than it does, so I find it easier to simply reach for something else to use.

Is there a variation in the spray patterns of the same sized paint nozzles with the H&S. I have read the other post you mentioned. In the last 2 weeks I have spent 30 hours scouring the old posts. So as to not plow the same ground. I like the engineering of the H&S in regards to cleaning and self centering paint nozzle and commonality of parts I am staying away from waterbase paints I have no time for tip dry I have a nice laminar flow booth. And some of my effects work best with solvents.

Sorry about the double post
and thanks for your replies DaveG

Is there a variation in the spray patterns of the same sized paint nozzles with the H&S. I have read the other post you mentioned. In the last 2 weeks I have spent 30 hours scouring the old posts. So as to not plow the same ground. I like the engineering of the H&S in regards to cleaning and self centering paint nozzle and commonality of parts I am staying away from waterbase paints I have no time for tip dry I have a nice laminar flow booth. And some of my effects work best with solvents.

Sorry about the double post
and thanks for your replies DaveG
the easiest way to answer your question is "no" - with one caveat. The nozzle that came in the Grafo is supposed to be the same as the nozzle that came in my Infinity, and the 4 others I purchased. It is not, and it for sure works better then the others... so, i would call it the odd ball, not the others. Everything else about the H&S is respectable.

the easiest way to answer your question is "no" - with one caveat. The nozzle that came in the Grafo is supposed to be the same as the nozzle that came in my Infinity, and the 4 others I purchased. It is not, and it for sure works better then the others... so, i would call it the odd ball, not the others. Everything else about the H&S is respectable.

Thanks:thumbsup:for your responses it is, the kind of info I am looking for
How would you rate the infinity next to the HP-CS from Iwata or other brand if you don't have have that particular one

Thanks:thumbsup:for your responses it is, the kind of info I am looking for
How would you rate the infinity next to the HP-CS from Iwata or other brand if you don't have have that particular one
hehehe, "...if I don't have that particular one" - you will need to stick around for a while and get to know me a little better :). The Infinity is a nicer brush than the Eclipse - more precise build, and beautiful finishes. Both work very well, with the Infinity having more bells and whistles available - while maybe not really being necessary - because the Eclipse is quite capable without them. I don't use my Eclipses very often, but rather choose to use the next up the Iwata food chain the HP-B+, and the HP-C+. The Infinity is a brush I am perhaps considering selling, or adding to a display cabinet...

hehehe, "...if I don't have that particular one" - you will need to stick around for a while and get to know me a little better :). The Infinity is a nicer brush than the Eclipse - more precise build, and beautiful finishes. Both work very well, with the Infinity having more bells and whistles available - while maybe not really being necessary - because the Eclipse is quite capable without them. I don't use my Eclipses very often, but rather choose to use the next up the Iwata food chain the HP-B+, and the HP-C+. The Infinity is a brush I am perhaps considering selling, or adding to a display cabinet...
Lol Dave, I'd love to stop by someday and see all your airbrushes! I think it would be easier for you to list the airbrushes you DONT have!

I mentioned the CS because of the ease of cleaning and assembly I tend to screw the airbrush onto the paint nozzle those tiny dam things are hard to handle with fat fingers, I have not tried a good airbrush so I am ignorant of their abilities with only a cheap chinese knock off as my reference I am trying to increase my odds of coming up with the best fit for my use .
According to Jurien72 an hour at your place and I would have my answer:D

there is a trick to putting those tiny little nozzle on - you insert a needle while the nozzle is off, and then slip the nozzle on the tip of the needle, then draw the needle back in until the nozzle seats in the threads. There is a small tool in the Iwata tool kit for tightening the nozzle that makes it much harder to over tighten them, by being kind of small and round - so not much leverage can be applied - unlike a wrench.

I have a good deal of the inexpensive import brushes as well... maybe have a look at my FB page - https://www.facebook.com/davegs.airbrush.exploration/

click on the "photo's" tab on the left side of the page, then "albums" and then "see all"

I mentioned the CS because of the ease of cleaning and assembly I tend to screw the airbrush onto the paint nozzle those tiny dam things are hard to handle with fat fingers, I have not tried a good airbrush so I am ignorant of their abilities with only a cheap chinese knock off as my reference I am trying to increase my odds of coming up with the best fit for my use .
According to Jurien72 an hour at your place and I would have my answer:D
Oh no dude... for the first hour we'd be wiping up our drool. I'd allow at least 3 or 4 hours myself! :thumbsup:

Oh no dude... for the first hour we'd be wiping up our drool. I'd allow at least 3 or 4 hours myself! :thumbsup:

Settle petal ,,,,and check the filter on your face mask or have a good look for leaks lol:laugh:lol:p
If you are not using respirator I would advise posting no sooner than 1 hour after paintinglollol

Back