Headset talk?

J

jared

I own both Chinese and now Japanese Micron now! Have studied so much about micron head assembly before buying! I diamond polish my needles but probably the biggest mod - tune that I did to my veda 180's was to file the aircap down just a little making it flat causing nozzle to protrude.I center the nozzle PERFECTLY by looking at the front of brush as I turn super tight might not be sweet spot mid-life or less might be. Check out mojo 3 dude talking about aircap tuning on youtube by choking the gap between aircap and nozzle more atomization is achieved at low pressure. So I am trying to spark a conversation about what hand matching truly is. Lionart I understand is very knowledgeable about this matter!

Also thanks to Adreaza for giving the tip of not taking the nozzle off! You gota hit it from the back my friends!

The oldhand match thing is a bit of a myth Even iwata don't "hand match" more like Heres a bucket of nozzles and a bucket of heads, take one of each, does it spray yes it does , fine, sell it. This is not my own first hand experience but that of someone well respected in the airbrush community and also a friend of Saturo iwata

Check out prof.zsolt kovacs blog on his micron developments, please don't take me as rude but unless you are doing it like this, its not gonna be much benefit

Yes I have read what I could find about Zsolt and his work I could be very ignorant but it is my understanding that in the end it came down to the micron being bad ass and not to much else could be done and it was left at that.Have heard myths of super tuned head units.I tinker forgive me for silly questions everyone!

My take on this is = if it aint broke, don't fix it!
I'm sure Iwata and Badger and all the manufactures spend a fortune on design and R&D so I'm probably not as clever as their boffins :cry::depressed:

@jared how long you been doing his mate, just looked at your profile and there is a sad lack of info?

I introed myself Not to much to say tattooed for long time gave it up! Airbrushing 6 months but tattooing and art have helped me progress in this so far.Anything I do I am obsessive.Was always into building tuning tattoo machines so intrigued by tuning airbrushes and the way they work. Sorry for lack of info please forgive!

If you click on your name at the top right your profile page should come up as an orange high light. click on that and hey Presto!
So I'm guessing that your airbrush skills are still in the formative stage?
If I were you in your place (in fact I was at the six month stage once) I would painting as much as possible, just laying paint down to build my skills and leave the nitty gritty to the boffins ;)
You have probably been reading about erasing and scratching and stuff but that is getting into more advanced manipulation, first off you need the know how of getting the paint where you want it ..... Just saying.

I have been painting 1-2 hours a day 7 days a week literally for the past 6 months don't know if I have missed a day. Also purchased viewed every airbrush dvd on the market before even buying a brush. I have been doing non stop underpaintings with random colors just to flow down now time for flesh tones! I got passed the dots daggers pretty quick but I tattooed on off for 10 years everyday I long to be with my brush.

I started modifying my toys the day I got them. Even without painting much. I'm like that with everything. I like to know the technical side of thing more then what you use it for. Like when I was cycling before airbrushing. I liked building up bikes and servicing them more than riding them. Bought parts because I liked upgrading and tinkering more then what the benefits of the upgrade brought. Now with airbrushing I like them to be perfect more then I want a perfect picture. But if I paint, I get to clean them and tinker more.
I would love to take a cheap gun and try and make it perfect.

Yes I have read what I could find about Zsolt and his work I could be very ignorant but it is my understanding that in the end it came down to the micron being bad ass and not to much else could be done and it was left at that.Have heard myths of super tuned head units.I tinker forgive me for silly questions everyone!
not quite buddy. .... zsolt has rebuilt the entire thing. .... The only thing that was perfection and not adjusted was the nozzle, you may see somethings from Ronald soon that will blow your mind

This is from Prof Zolt's site. http://www.ing.unibs.it/~zkovacs/color/clogging_E.htm

The irregular paint coverage around the nozzle tip is due to the needle which is not centered in the nozzle. The image sequence below show the needle extrusion from the nozzle. This type of misalignment is not a specific propriety of my airbrush, but it is very common (as Eddy told me already and I just confirm it)...

cmbN1.jpg
cmbN2.jpg
cmbN3.jpg
cmbN4.jpg
cmbN5.jpg

The airbrush of my choice is an Iwata CM-B, and according to the Custom Micron technology, its' head system is hand matched for a perfect spray pattern. In the images above, actually, a perfect alignment between nozzle cap and nozzle is noticeable. However, the needle and the nozzle are not aligned, even if the needle shape matches the nozzle for a perfect sealing. Changing the needle, the image below appears. There is no change in the alinement.

newNeedle.jpg

Actually, turning the needle around or changing it, the misalignment doesn't change. The reason for this is that the needle is kept in place by the needle chucking nut and a couple of o-rings: their alignment defines the needle position in the nozzle. However, this common misalignment doesn't seem to influence the airbrush control.

END.

I believe zsolt said the misalignment of Needle+Nozzle is something he has experienced with all airbrushes but does not effect spray.

I dunno, zsolt is a genius the way he thinks and the stuff he knows is way beyond my comprehension, last time we met he had Made chicken from flour and water in a molecular gastronomy class.
If i mix flour and water i get glue...... not chicken..... he's like the jesus of meats...... and airbrushes

Back