Hello

I

iScream

New 40 something year old guy here from the Nashville, Tn area. Name is Chris. I do computer stuff for a living but, over 20 years ago in a previous life, I painted full size cars for a living and did some custom striping and such. But I used a full sized spray gun for all that.

Now I'm about to buy my first airbrush for painting RC car bodies and I have a few questions on starting equipment setup.

I know I'm going to start with the Iwata Eclipse HP CS which I'll probably get from Chicago Airbrush Supply since it comes with a free braided hose and it's easy to find a coupon.

I recently bought a nice California Air Tools oilless compressor with a 10 gallon tank so I'm covered there. I plan to install a water trap a few feet from the compressor as a first line of defense against moisture.

The main thing keeping me from completing my order right now is choosing a moisture trap and regulator to go right where I'll be working. I like the ones I see with a gauge built in but I have no idea if the Medea is better than the Paasche is better than the DAGR, and so on.

I do know that I want to minimize stuff hanging directly off the AB since I need to maneuver it into all kinds of positions to paint inside RC car shells.

Anyway, not really sure if I should create a thread in the compressor forum or if it's OK to discuss in an intro thread. But I guess I just did the latter. :whistling:

This looks like a great site and I can't wait to get my equipment, practice my daggers, lines and dots for a while, then really take advantage of some of the tutorials here.

Welcome from Washington State Chris. I think you will for sure enjoy this site and all it has to offer.

Cant help with your moisture traps but welcome to the forum Chris good to have you aboard and look forward to seeing some of your work

Welcome to the forum.

Just make sure to get a good moisture trap/ reg combo, and if you then find later on you need an in line moisture trap you can get one, brand is not real important .

Welcome from Philly! The moisture traps you mentioned should be fine. Make sure you get the right adapters for whatever set up you choose. Someone on here posted a adapter chart, I can't seem to find it. Just ask about adapters and I am sure someone will post it. Good luck, and as always, spread the love.

Welcome. The brand doesn't really matter, I've used El cheapo ones found at peddlers mall and such. Being that you have a smaller compressor (vs a large 50+ gallon) it shouldn't create much moisture if you aren't constantly spraying. Reserve air in the tanks will cool down and moisture will drop. I use a secondary tank with a coiled line to help with cooling. I do have a moisture trap after the regulator on my tank along with a pistol grip on the airbrush. It's overkill but I tend to paint on location using other people's compressors so I have to be careful. My at home compressor I don't use any moisture traps. Unless the compressor is constantly running, there shouldn't be much heat. Being that you have a California one, it uses a dual piston pump which produces air faster so won't have to refill as often. You shouldn't need a reg as there is already one on it.

Thanks to everyone for the welcome and advice. I ended up ordering an Iwata FA700DH regulator with my airbrush a few minutes ago. It doesn't have a moisture trap but it should be easier to mount it really close to my work area so I can fine tune my pressure. I'm going to order a standard compressor water trap and mount it with 5 to 10 foot of hose between it and the compressor. If I find I'm getting moisture I'll add another trap just before the regulator.

Also ordered one of the six color Createx starter paint sets to practice with for now.

-Chris

Thanks to everyone for the welcome and advice. I ended up ordering an Iwata FA700DH regulator with my airbrush a few minutes ago. It doesn't have a moisture trap but it should be easier to mount it really close to my work area so I can fine tune my pressure. I'm going to order a standard compressor water trap and mount it with 5 to 10 foot of hose between it and the compressor. If I find I'm getting moisture I'll add another trap just before the regulator.

Also ordered one of the six color Createx starter paint sets to practice with for now.

-Chris
May want to research paint more. Createx paint (createx label vs their other lines like auto air and wicked) is a tshirt paint and is nothing like what you will need to use on rc bodies and requires higher air pressure and is a pain to work with. It's best to get the paint system you are going to use and stick with it. Every paint is different and all behave differently and are suitable for different substrates.

Hey Iscream welcome to the family matey.don't worry about posting random info/questions in your intro, all we ask is a little about yourself also which you have graciously given us! Great to have you onboard.....if you have any troubles setting up you know what to do.....welcome from the uk

Welcome to Orange land from Australia!
I'm sure there is/was another rc car enthusiast here, and he did some great work on his cars.
I'm sure we'll see some of yours soon.
As for water-traps, what's been covered so far should solve any of the immediate troubles, so I won't go there.
Paints, well I guess you'd better head on over to the thread on paint and check out some of the discussions held on that topic.
We all have our faves for what we do, so it'll be trial and error [or guidance!] till you find yours.

May want to research paint more. Createx paint (createx label vs their other lines like auto air and wicked) is a tshirt paint and is nothing like what you will need to use on rc bodies and requires higher air pressure and is a pain to work with. It's best to get the paint system you are going to use and stick with it. Every paint is different and all behave differently and are suitable for different substrates.

Hmm, I mostly got the Createx for practicing on paper but I was 95 percent sure plenty of people are using it to paint lexan RC car bodies. Of course, that still doesn't mean it's the most suitable product for the job. I definitely plan to research, experiment and figure out what I really want to use on car bodies.

You scared me a bit there that I may have completely wasted $18 on the six pack of paint so I quickly searched in the rctech paint and graphics forum. It does look like people are using the basic Createx as well as the Wicked and Auto Air products. I'm going to ask and make absolutely sure though.

It's not ideal and most people here will tell you they dislike createx. It's cheap craft paint. Costs like $1.50 at craft stores. Suitable for the trashcan imo

Agree with immortal, it doesn't flow great (in my opinion no createx does) but standard is worst of the bunch.....wicked is a good all round paint however, good for beginners and pros....it does tip dry like a female dog, but is suitable for paper plastics metals fabrics the lot!

Welcome aboard!! Like already said, doesnt matter for moisture trap, as long as it works ;) I use Wicked paints, on...well everything. Createx, good for clothing.

I hear you guys and I'm not trying to argue with you as I have exactly zero experience with any airbrush paints. Lots of people are definitely using the stuff for RC car bodies and turning out some pretty nice work with it. I suspect it has a whole lot to do with that cheap price though.

But you all have convinced me to see if I can get Chicago Airbrush to switch out the six pack for a sample set of Wicked instead. It doesn't sound like the basic Createx would even be very good for practicing airbrush control. And I don't want to be fighting the paint from the start.

It's not that it wouldn't be good for practice, just wasted frustrations with the paint. Wicked would be a better choice as it has reducers for performance and reducing tip dry. Also it works on everything from wood to metal and can be 2k cleared over. I'm a urethane guy but I digress lol. A lot of beginners will give up because of the inherent difficulties of airbrushing, and eliminating a poor performing paint can help alleviate that. I really don't know why the original createx is still around. Some still use it but even it's staple as a tshirt paint has declined with the introduction of wicked. Not saying it can't be used, but it has a lot of unnecessary headaches. Yes it can be used for other things than tshirts, but that was the intent of the paint. They are very clear about how its a fabric paint first and foremost. They say it works on other substrates to appeal to a larger market. I can make food coloring stick to metal, but that doesnt mean you should do it. You also have to consider light fastness of the paint since you won't be able to topcoat it with an uv protective clearcoat. Ask createx yourself what their lightfastness is on that line and I bet you money they will tell you they don't rate their paint for it. In other words we don't care because it's for tshirts and they don't last 6 months. It was an 80s and 90s paint. Also with the createx, they recommend using a .5 mm or larger nozzle and to shoot it in a normal .35 or .2mm standards of the day, would require their transparent base. Also they suggest using 40 psi or higher. Try shooting that high inside of a body and controlling the massive overspray.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back