For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Help prepping a medical helmet

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by Zuki250, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Zuki250

Zuki250 Young Tutorling

HI all,

My wife is a nurse and one of her clients has seizures so she wears a helmet. I don't know the kind of plastic it is...I got one of her old helmets, but the material is different. I didn't prep it at all and the paint comes off if you breathe on it the wrong way. I know i should have sanded it with 600...I was going to use some bulldog on it...but I keep hearing bad things about it....any help would be great...I am shooting wicked colors.
  2. markjthomson

markjthomson Very happy! Staff Member Mod

Hi there, first things first, what is the helmet made out of? If it's plastic you will likely need a plasticiser to help the paint adhere and flex. Always check what the manufacturer says about substrates, primer, preparation as they know their product.

Bulldog adhesion promoter... again, is it suitable for the substrate, is it compatible with HOK...? Check what they say about it and HOK as well.

Can I get you to pop along to the intro section and say Hi properly as well? Here is the link... http://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/ Check out the nettiquette as well, explains a bit more ab out us.

What part of the world are you in, what yo paint, gear you got, that sort of thing.

Cheers Mark
    MeeshellMP likes this.
  3. MeeshellMP

MeeshellMP Goddess Queen of carts Mod

Yeppers, need more info before we can help. But my guess is that the plastic should be good with the 600-800 ssnding, then clean with wax/degreaser, spray the bull dog, and you can use AA sealers (which are sandable), and start your design.
  4. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Hi there. I would imagine its either fibre glass or plastic, if you can find out how it will be easier to advise. As mentioned you need a specific primer for plastic, to make a chemical bond which will stop peeling. Not familiar with Bulldog here in the UK, but if it will do that, then it will be ideal.
  5. Micha der Wolf

Micha der Wolf Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

If you find some marks we can help better.
    A picture would be nice, maybe someone knows this kind of helmet.
  6. Nada

Nada Air-Valve Autobot!

Most likely it is a tpo.
    A pic would be nice. Is it hard and shiny?

If it's a medical thermoplastic
    I like autobourne sealer direct to plastic after a good scuff. However it has to be decreased before you even begin sanding.
  7. Airbrush Dreams

Airbrush Dreams Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

If it is the material like a batting helmet or skateboard helmet a good scuff with 800 grit and then bulldog followed by Auto Air dark or light sealer and you should be good. Now if is like the bicycle helmets with that real thin plastic I would not even try. I believe that is a clear plastic and the color is painted on the inside like the Lexan RC bodies. That paint is acrylic and sold at a hobby store either in spray can or brush paint.

Paint on