Help with effect

K

kylegabbert

Im wanting to recreate this type of effect using wicked colors. How would i do that? Thank you in advance!

64cea928cb3235ef74b376febc3acf22.jpg

Get a bottle of rubbing alcohol, and a spray bottle, or a great big bottle of 4012 and said spray bottle.
Some sponges paper towels etc.

Work a small section hit with alcohol, dab around. Don't let the paint dry long. Once it is set it gets harder.

Get a bottle of rubbing alcohol, and a spray bottle, or a great big bottle of 4012 and said spray bottle.
Some sponges paper towels etc.

Work a small section hit with alcohol, dab around. Don't let the paint dry long. Once it is set it gets harder.

And would i use a fully cured black base? Then start layering red and taking it off with alcohol?

And would i use a fully cured black base? Then start layering red and taking it off with alcohol?

I don't think so.. it' looks to be in reverse. It's going from light to dark. So start with a light orange to fluorescent orange and go progressively darker.

Edit... I'm not sure. These kind of backgrounds always get me confused.

I agree with @Leakyvalve . If your using Wicked Colors work light to dark. If you start with a black base you'll spend a lot more time and a lot more paint trying to bring out those lighter tones. Working light to dark is the better approach in my opinion

It would be dependent on the surface, and surface color for me.
If say I was doing this on white canvas,
I'd lay some texture in black leaving a lot of open space. And cover the whole thing in red reduced and possibly mixed with trans base.

If say I wanted to do this on a black background I'd just work it with white, and then lay in with my over reduced red.

IMG_20170806_154920.jpg IMG_20170806_155033.jpg IMG_20170806_155122.jpg IMG_20170806_155924.jpg IMG_20170806_160430.jpg IMG_20170806_160513.jpg IMG_20170806_161144.jpg
I grabbed a texture stencil, sprayed some black.
Fogged some freehand,
Hit with alcohol .. then got what you see in pic 4

Mixed some red and reducer and sprayed the whole thing.

Took sponge wet with alcohol and dabbed.
Added some black to my red and sprayed in randomly.
Having the red over the black gives it a softer transition.
I hit a couple more spots with some black.
Ok now I gotta find something to put on this

View attachment 49387 View attachment 49388 View attachment 49389 View attachment 49390 View attachment 49391 View attachment 49392 View attachment 49393
I grabbed a texture stencil, sprayed some black.
Fogged some freehand,
Hit with alcohol .. then got what you see in pic 4

Mixed some red and reducer and sprayed the whole thing.

Took sponge wet with alcohol and dabbed.
Added some black to my red and sprayed in randomly.
Having the red over the black gives it a softer transition.
I hit a couple more spots with some black.
Ok now I gotta find something to put on this
Awesome!! Thank you, when you spray the alcohol, do you dab it dry, or do you let it evaporate?

Depends. Usually I dab it off.
If I was really trying to mimic that.
I would've also mixed some paint in a cup and did some drip painting.

I should also mention. If I'd have had trans base, thinned the red more and worked slower it could've been a lot cooler.
It took me less time to paint it then it did to upload and write it.
Another cool texture is fish gravel and stuff like that. Rock salt is pretty cool too if your using flat surfaces and can flip and dump the salt.

And they say you can't do it BUT you can dollar store aerosol window cleaner that foamy stuff. Spray it on, carefully spray over it.

I should also mention. If I'd have had trans base, thinned the red more and worked slower it could've been a lot cooler.
It took me less time to paint it then it did to upload and write it.
Another cool texture is fish gravel and stuff like that. Rock salt is pretty cool too if your using flat surfaces and can flip and dump the salt.

And they say you can't do it BUT you can dollar store aerosol window cleaner that foamy stuff. Spray it on, carefully spray over it.
Sorry, one more question. When using the foaming cleaner, once i dab it off, will it remove the paint underneath?

Sorry, one more question. When using the foaming cleaner, once i dab it off, will it remove the paint underneath?
Some of it.
It's more a grunge effect. You don't cover the entire background. You just kinda splat it so it groups up in some places.

It works like the killer grunge spray they sell. But yes it will remove layers of paint, and how much depends on the paint. Wicked is pretty resistant.

On hard surfaces the alcohol makes a killer grunge effect
That's an in progress shot of one of my pieces below. The background I fogged in Payne's grey, hit with some alcohol drips and dabbeFB_IMG_1502289049246.jpg d off. Then I layed transparent blue over it.

Great info Nada thanks for taking the time to do it.

Lee
You know, I don't mind. It brings me immense joy to be able to help. What
3 and less than a half years ago, I came to this forum knowing nothing.
Read around for 2weeks before even asking a question. And in that time frame it has altered my life in so many ways.

There ya go, now it's just playing around with a few ideas until your comfortable you can make the effects at will. There are 100s of ways to use grunge texhniques in paintings.

Back