Help with this

J

jaystacy

20150822_101500-1.jpg This is after one drop of black wicked with 4 drops w500 reducer. I used mixer on bottle then strained into cup on top of reducer. Every time I have to remove needle and wipe clean blasting cleaner doesn't work. And after 1 min of spraying I get splatters of paint or it runs like it's super wet. Really starting to pis me off.

View attachment 38538 This is after one drop of black wicked with 4 drops w500 reducer. I used mixer on bottle then strained into cup on top of reducer. Every time I have to remove needle and wipe clean blasting cleaner doesn't work. And after 1 min of spraying I get splatters of paint or it runs like it's super wet. Really starting to pis me off.

I reckon you have a bad batch of paint, removing the needle and cleaning it won't be enough, you will have to thoroughly clean the nozzle too, and when you think it's clean, clean it again, stop using the paint you used and try another paint/colour to see what happens, but I believe your paint is so bad that it won't mix with your W500 or separates immediately.

This is unfortunately something we all encounter more often than we would like, the trick is to keep your cool, clean your gear and move on.

When I mix my paints with a reducer I usually will let them sit in a cup for about 10 min. to marry them so to speak, occasionally giving them a little stir with a toothpick. Sometimes this helps, sometimes it doesn't. Unfortunately there are dozens of different reasons a paint is not flowing correctly. You just have to experiment, then experiment some more,then when your burnt out from experimenting, experiment some more lol. Its very frustrating but rest assure you are not alone :).

Ok thanks I assumed bad bottle. Cause the primary colors seem to work great guess I need to order some detail and maybe comart. So do any of you paint with multiple brands? Ie wicked with comart? I know mixing them may not work so I assume to mix with like brands. But say use comart black but wicked colors?

Ok thanks I assumed bad bottle. Cause the primary colors seem to work great guess I need to order some detail and maybe comart. So do any of you paint with multiple brands? Ie wicked with comart? I know mixing them may not work so I assume to mix with like brands. But say use comart black but wicked colors?

I recently bought a small bottle of detail black to try out, wasn't impressed with it at all, immediate tip dry with and without reducer (W100) serious clogging and loads of cleaning.

I normally use comart but hard to find out of sets here in Holland, I have been known to finish one or two paintings off with Schminke aero colour, as you say don't mix colours using different brands, the colours you get may not be what you expect, but I have had no trouble going over different brands, but if you want to play it safe you can throw on an acrylic medium between layers to avoid an unwanted or unexpected shift.

Try polishing your tip, that may help a little and a drop or two of glycerin or another wetting agent in your mix will help keep it a bit wetter. Also is it hot where you paint, that doesn't help, a lot of peeps forget that most paints temp range is important to its sprayability so really hot or really cold can create issues, also due to the way the air can really heat up from your compressor, if it hasnt got the chance to cool by the time it gets to the airbrush it can help dry paint faster on your tip..Finally try not to stop too often, when we stop our inkflow we naturally continue our airflow, continuing that air flow for awhile will dry any paint on the tip, by reducing the amount you stop, can help reduce tip issues as that. Alternatively when such is happening and you'e tried everything else, add a few more PSI to assist in pushing the paint through, if using low PSI you may find that any buildup causes an issue, at higher PSI it often just pushes through. Or as mentioned, try a different paint, some brands do have additives to assist though personally never needed such..Good luck and hope you sort it..

Psi 18 or 20. Room temp I'd say 75. I haven't polished needle bease I'm not sure if my white jewelers rough will be to much. And when I use micron personal mix it has glycerin in it. I have water trap on pump and one on brush the air doesn't feel hot but could be. I just did another piece no black or white and so far had minimal issues. Still tip drying but not enough to cause spits.

I found Illustration black a lot nicer than the wicked.
As Madbrush has said, you can use different brands to complete an art project, just don't use different brands in the same cup (eg:blue createx and yellow com-art)

I've laid createx illustration over E'tac with no issues at all

Back