HF Compressor issue

D

David Koon

Just yesterday I purchased the $69.95 HF compressor with the air regulator. I know this is cheap stuff and perhaps I wasted my money but I thought it might be a good way to start. If I become too frustrated with problems, I'll spring for the good stuff.

In any case, I unboxed it and hooked it up to the AB. Turning the regulator knob did nothing...wouldn't move. I kept messing with it and it started to move...seemed fine.

Here's the problem: I can adjust it to it's maximum of 58psi but when I pull the trigger, the pressure drops to 20-25 psi. No matter where I adjust the psi, it drops to the same 20-25 psi. The only place where I have control is from 10-20 psi.

I held the trigger back as I adjusted the psi and I never heard a difference in airflow until I got down to about 20psi.

I'm assuming a bad regulator. My intent is to call their tech line tomorrow and maybe go exchange it. Perhaps just get my money back if they tell me that's normal.

I'll appreciate any comments. Thanks!

Dave

Just yesterday I purchased the $69.95 HF compressor with the air regulator. I know this is cheap stuff and perhaps I wasted my money but I thought it might be a good way to start. If I become too frustrated with problems, I'll spring for the good stuff.

In any case, I unboxed it and hooked it up to the AB. Turning the regulator knob did nothing...wouldn't move. I kept messing with it and it started to move...seemed fine.

Here's the problem: I can adjust it to it's maximum of 58psi but when I pull the trigger, the pressure drops to 20-25 psi. No matter where I adjust the psi, it drops to the same 20-25 psi. The only place where I have control is from 10-20 psi.

I held the trigger back as I adjusted the psi and I never heard a difference in airflow until I got down to about 20psi.

I'm assuming a bad regulator. My intent is to call their tech line tomorrow and maybe go exchange it. Perhaps just get my money back if they tell me that's normal.

I'll appreciate any comments. Thanks!

Dave
Dave, It may be a bad regulator OR it may be the compressor can only supply 20-25 psi operating pressure based on your airbrush's air usage. May have to spend a bit more money for something that can put out a larger quantity of air (measured in cfm cubic feet per minute). Get a compressor with a tank also. That way the compressor isn't running all the time.

Regulator knob has a safety feature. I hate it. We destroyed my first regulator knob cause of that lol . I couldn't figure out how to operate it, so I took it to my parents to my old man so he can check it. He is big strong dude. Biker. In the old days he raced with bikes. So he took that regulator and tryed to turn that knob. The more he was trying the less knob budget. The next thing you could see was me yeling: don't go on force! and his angry face at knob : you ain't messing with the old dude! Knob just roll on empty. Then we looked st the knob cause it was not holding that regulator any more, it fell from it. And we figure out where is the catch. I bought another regulator and I have this as a spare. If something goes wrong I can still use it with tools to change pressure.

Lift that knob and set the pressure, then push it back when you done.

Thanks for the insights, fellas.....The compressor doesn't run all the time. When you release the trigger, the air pressure goes to what is set and then stops running. It OUGHT to be adequate on pressure. Supposedly, it'll hold at 58 psi. I may have to go back to the compressor I bought in the 80s. I have a Speed air......I think that's right.....that goes to 100 psi. I think I paid about $130.00 back then. The only problem is that it sounds like a jack hammer when it runs. This HF is VERY quiet if I can get it to run properly. If tech support can't help me, I'll return it for a refund and use my noisy Speed Aire and wear ear protection.

I do appreciate the comments and hope to learn a lot more.

Thanks for the insights, fellas.....The compressor doesn't run all the time. When you release the trigger, the air pressure goes to what is set and then stops running. It OUGHT to be adequate on pressure. Supposedly, it'll hold at 58 psi. I may have to go back to the compressor I bought in the 80s. I have a Speed air......I think that's right.....that goes to 100 psi. I think I paid about $130.00 back then. The only problem is that it sounds like a jack hammer when it runs. This HF is VERY quiet if I can get it to run properly. If tech support can't help me, I'll return it for a refund and use my noisy Speed Aire and wear ear protection.

I do appreciate the comments and hope to learn a lot more.

Have a look at California Air compressors in the USA, they are not super silent but they make less no use than a normal spoken conversation, quite a few of out USA members use them, here is one example

Can you post a photo of the compressor you have now? All compressors drop in pressure when the trigger is pulled but yours has a bit too much of a drop so I reckon is down to too little cfm as mentioned, I would personally send back and get something better, there are su0er silent compressors available but they are usually upwards of $300 or so.

If you find some you think you like post up a link and the guys will let you know if it's any good for your situation.

I have an iwata smart jet with no tank. When the air is on you are looking at 25psi or around there so I would say hat the compressor is running normally. It should be fine for basic use as mine has served me well for over 10 years just remember to give it a rest after about 30 mins. I do have another with a tank which I now use.

Lee

My HF compressor will hold 43lbs while using an airbrush. Shutoff is 58, you'll never get 58 running psi. What AB are you running on it?

I have to have a major leak, as in holding the drain valve open while holding the trigger to only be able to run 20-25lbs

Last edited:
Actually I just checked and the gauge way off accurate on it......25-30 running psi is the best im actually getting out of it. So yeah , it sounds like its doing about normal.

Well, I have no patience.....I returned it for a refund. My old Speed Aire goes to 100 psi so I'll use it. Only problem with that compressor is it is VERY loud. I also returned my HF brush and ordered an Iwata.

Well, I have no patience.....I returned it for a refund. My old Speed Aire goes to 100 psi so I'll use it. Only problem with that compressor is it is VERY loud. I also returned my HF brush and ordered an Iwata.

Are you in a position to put your compressor in a garage or outbuilding and fix a longer hose to your work area?

It would be wise to save some pennies and get yourself something a little quieter.

I'll be brushing in a two-car garage. I suppose I could set it outside the side door. I'd just hate to impose that on my neighbors.

What I do will just depend on my usage. If I'm doing 6-12 models per year, I'll live with the noise. If I get more involved with the brush, I'll buy another compressor.

Back