Hi from Highland NY

Oh, really stupid question.....what's the head? In reference to "don't use airbrush cleaner on the head because it will cause the O ring to swell"

Welcome From Ontario Canada
It is ok to use airbrush cleaner on the head...NOT "restorer", which is a really aggressive cleaner that you soak your parts in and NEVER spray...
This place rocks and you will find there are no such thing as stupid questions here. You want to know something, just ask....
Cheers

Definitely no stupid questions Buddy. Ask before breaking something lol, that’s been my motto right after I broke something lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, really stupid question.....what's the head? In reference to "don't use airbrush cleaner on the head because it will cause the O ring to swell"
Not the head. I am sorry. I meant the body. The head and nozzle are fine to soak in restorer just remember to remove the o-ring at the back side of you head where it screws onto the body if it has one.

http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist
https://www.youtube.com/user/fredaw61

Not the head. I am sorry. I meant the body. The head and nozzle are fine to soak in restorer just remember to remove the o-ring at the back side of you head where it screws onto the body if it has one.

http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist
https://www.youtube.com/user/fredaw61

Hey, that was you on the video cleaning the airbrush! You are Sistine Chapel-level in my opinion. WOOWW. I'm trying to find a suitable cleaning kit. I liked the long tool you used, I've been using your method (recommended by Mr. Micron) and having success! I just don't have any tools yet.

Welcome From Ontario Canada
It is ok to use airbrush cleaner on the head...NOT "restorer", which is a really aggressive cleaner that you soak your parts in and NEVER spray...
This place rocks and you will find there are no such thing as stupid questions here. You want to know something, just ask....
Cheers
I swear to you that was my next question (airbrush cleaner vs restorer)! Jedi-mind reader? Thanks.

Welcome!! Looks like you have some great information....we all learn from doing interesting things, lately I have been replacing a lot of "o-rings" which cause all kinds of different issues with airbrushes sent in for repair...well other then the MULTIPLE airbrushes I just received that were "packed" with some type of grease (he figured it worked for moving parts on a car....) using WD40 is a common thing when people first start out... don't do that nope not a good idea.... lol:whistling:

Hold breath, exhale. Okay, I'm super in over my head now. My "air pump" compressor is now starting to bother me. When I first turn it on, it's great for about a few minutes. Then there is no consistency. My lines (or super horrible attempt at lines, lol) start coming out worse by the hour. I'm super frustrated. I mean, I keep the nozzle caps clean. I want to blame my air pump, but be honest, is it just me?

Anyway, I'm on to my third set of paints. First was Com-air transparent, second was Aztec opaque (only ones they had at the local store...bought in desperation), now I'm out of those, so I ordered more Com-Air transparents, because they seem super beginner friendly.

Gulp...at what point do you go from a fun birthday gift (with fish tank air pump) to an investment and get a compressor? Gulp. How do you know when to commit? HELP!!!!!!

Well, usually I just look in my wallet and ask Ben Franklin... if he smiles back, it's time for a new compressor!

I seem to remember a thread recently where someone else was having the exact same problem. Those little fish tank compressors arent very good.

What are you painting to go thru paint so fast??? lol

Yes, I faced the same situation. I had a “fish tank compressor” which worked actually surprisingly well for a few hours, but eventually could not provide the pressure necessary for a halfway consistent line anymore. Once I bought a compressor (with a tank), that problem was solved and it got me to a next level of working with airbrush.

Yes, I faced the same situation. I had a “fish tank compressor” which worked actually surprisingly well for a few hours, but eventually could not provide the pressure necessary for a halfway consistent line anymore. Once I bought a compressor (with a tank), that problem was solved and it got me to a next level of working with airbrush.
Thanks, I'm totally going to buy a compressor (with a tank). You answered my question. I've been practicing lettering, specifically trying to come up with my own unique style. I'm a SLOWWWWWWWWWW learner, so that's why I've been flying through paint. SLOWWWWWWWWWW. And a really BAD artist. BADDDDDDDDD. Still I'm putting my heart into it and trying hard. Of course the next question is going to be the obvious one...
Which compressor????!!!!!! Hahahahahahah. Remember, I'm slow. I want something SMALL AND QUIET as I work the night shift and stay awake all night long trying not to bother anyone. So that's basically my next quest. Thanks.

Well, usually I just look in my wallet and ask Ben Franklin... if he smiles back, it's time for a new compressor!

I seem to remember a thread recently where someone else was having the exact same problem. Those little fish tank compressors arent very good.

What are you painting to go thru paint so fast??? lol
Lettering. Try and try again. Also drop shadows.

Thanks, I'm totally going to buy a compressor (with a tank). You answered my question. I've been practicing lettering, specifically trying to come up with my own unique style. I'm a SLOWWWWWWWWWW learner, so that's why I've been flying through paint. SLOWWWWWWWWWW. And a really BAD artist. BADDDDDDDDD. Still I'm putting my heart into it and trying hard. Of course the next question is going to be the obvious one...
Which compressor????!!!!!! Hahahahahahah. Remember, I'm slow. I want something SMALL AND QUIET as I work the night shift and stay awake all night long trying not to bother anyone. So that's basically my next quest. Thanks.
We’re all bad artist. Sometimes we create something that is better than the rest of our daily output. The point here is that it’s all about aiming for improvement, trying to do better and better. It’s about the process, not about the final result. Nothing will come overnight or immediately, but it needs to be earned. If you find joy in the work itself then eventually you will find that you’re making progress. There is no instant solution; especially not in the complicated thing called airbrushing.

But, to answer your question, the compressor I bought is pictured in the photo - it’s a Chinese brand called HiSeng, model AF186. There are many other brands that make the same model, and in other countries it’s sold probably under different labels or brand names. Take the model / built of the picture as a reference and find an equivalent one, you won’t regret it. This model costs about or less than USD 100, and goes up to around 60 psi. It’s growling a bit every few minutes when you’re continuously working / spraying, but I don’t perceive it to be loud - around the same decibel level of an air con.

Attachments

• 666EE807-D613-4F1E-9298-C09F0123ABCC.jpeg
    666EE807-D613-4F1E-9298-C09F0123ABCC.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 33
Franc, thanks so much for the recommendation! I looked it up on youtube and the sound and size is just right. I found a few links, but most want bids? I'm not too sure about the sites. I'm gonna keep trying. I think I may go to the advice thread and pick some brains for basically the same thing you showed me. It just looks perfect.

Back