For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

How do your spouses see airbrushing?

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Franc Kaiser, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Franc Kaiser

Franc Kaiser Needle-chuck Ninja Very Likeable!

All of us here are certainly very immersed into this great thing called airbrushing, and consider it a real passion, no matter our level or length of experience.

But how about those around us, especially our dearest ones?

My wife recently turned up her nose at me spending many hours spraying and cleaning the equipment, saying “why don’t you just use some simple pens to paint”, and “if you print out a computer generated picture, you would have the same result 1000x faster”. And, “this is becoming a costly hobby”. Could it be that the sheer complexity of airbrushing creates blind spots for us, and a lot of misunderstanding for second and third parties?

I would be interested to learn about your own experiences, and how you deal with it :)
    frowan, basepaint, HellBird and 3 others like this.
  2. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot!

She thinks its a waste of time, but then she says that about all of my art, vehicle painting and fiberglass work, which currently pays our bills.
    She tends to be more supportive after i do a painting of her though :) which I do a lot
  3. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin Very Likeable!

the minute someone says anything negative I'll be showing them the door !!
    I do this because it makes me happy.

'if you dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything. "
  4. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

My wife is happy I have found a hobby that will not land me in the grave LOL .
  5. Franc Kaiser

Nice saying, JackEb!
    HellBird and JackEb like this.
  6. MeeshellMP

MeeshellMP Goddess Queen of carts Mod

Well...when I first started, my husband wasnt pleased that I spent EVERY second airbrushing.. my kids started to complain....then I got good, turned it into a career...and my kids STILL complain lolol. My husband gets more irritated that my phone is always going off on help me, how do you, advise me...but he doesnt say much anymore. If I DONT PAINT? People will DIE lolol
    basepaint, doc1, HellBird and 4 others like this.
  7. Jurien72

Jurien72 Have Airbrush - Will Travel!

I am very thankful that my girlfriend is very supportive of my hobby. As long as the bills are covered she actually enjoys seeing me happy. It also keeps me out of her hair- yeah we are funny that way. I have certain friends who have very controlling women in their lives... yeah it just makes me smile and count my blessings!
  8. Franc Kaiser

MesshellMP, just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to get good at it and start turning it into a career?
    MeeshellMP likes this.
  9. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA QuickDraw and very happy #nobrushleftbehind Staff Member Mod

For me it's more making sure I don't neglect stuff. If I want more stuff I'm able to get it but I finance it myself!

To be honest the people who say "You can print it faster and cheaper" really don't understand the work that goes into producing the pictures in the first place. They thin ABing is expensive, check out the price of one (JUST ONE...) camera lens... let's not take into consideration the price of an A0 plotter (easy to paint a piece that size) and the ink to run it. That is a statement of ignorance rather than understanding.

My family tends to line up stuff for me to paint...
    basepaint, HellBird and Franc Kaiser like this.
  10. Zotilraxx

Zotilraxx Air-Valve Autobot!

Ours is mostly compromise. I was already into art when I got married. Back-burnered it when my son was born. Then got back to it when he turned into a teenager. It is never going to be a career for me. It's just not that practical in my case. But I enjoy it immensely as a hobby and my wife is very supportive of it.
    basepaint, HellBird and Franc Kaiser like this.
  11. MeeshellMP

Ah,....I would have to say, about a year. I went from a hobby to opening Stabin Cabin Airbrushing after about a year. And since then, I have gotten burnt out several times lol. There are times where it went from fun, to a job. Keep that in mind. Having to paint "stupid" things, instead of what you wanna paint lol
  12. Mr.Micron

I agree with Meesh on getting burned out fast when your not given a choice on what to paint. When you can paint what you like or want to it stays fun.
  13. RichardH

RichardH Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Mine has almost always supported me with my hobbies except when I bought a bass boat and a jeep to tow it with. I won't ever live that mistake down. :mad::mad:
    I have to have something to occupy my spare time or I would go crazy. I think my first real hobby was model airplanes, then Ham radio then model airplanes again. ETC, ETC. I got into model dirt track racing. I really enjoyed that. They closed the track and so I had to sell all I had.
    Now days all I do is airbrushing and that seems to scratch my itch for something to do. Still have all my radio stuff though in case I get the itch again.:D

Oh, I forgot. Musical instruments. I play the steel guitar when I have time to mess with it. So that was another hobby investment. Still got them and do play some every now and then.
    Franc Kaiser likes this.
  14. Ronald art

Ronald art Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

what can I say before my stroke my wife had no idea how I did it but loved my results , when I got back to using the airbrush after I had my stroke she had to get used to the color I used as I could only use a purple/blueish color instead of the usual colors like sepia , burnt umber or paynes grey but she did notice I was getting back in the game and didnt mind when I wanted to join Marissa's portrait workshop for the second time to see if I was ready to work with colors again
    during that workshop I found out I could not see the right values in green, red and yellow till I overshoot the values and ruin a portrait in just a second
    after that experience I had to swallow my pride and I started to ask her to check my work in the different stages and point any mistakes out to me so I could fix them and she learned to see all the different techniques I use and is now able to pin point every little detail and she is my second pair of eyes when I need them :)
    Joe T, basepaint, HellBird and 7 others like this.
  15. Jurien72

Bwahaha! I have seen the sign that says "Your wife called, she wants you to buy a new bass boat" so I can cover you on that one!!!
  16. RichardH

RichardH Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

I've heard the tale about you are never any happier than when you buy a boat and then you are never happier when you finally sell it. HAHAHAHAHA
    Franc Kaiser likes this.
  17. MeeshellMP

Yeah...its not always fun...sometimes it's more like a chore....And I just opened another shop In town...merrr
    Franc Kaiser likes this.
  18. Leakyvalve

Leakyvalve Needle-chuck Ninja

boat.jpg
  19. Jurien72

Well the version I heard was the happiest day in a man's life is when he buys a boat. The happiest day in his wife's life is the day he sells it :p
    Franc Kaiser and RichardH like this.
  20. Mr.Micron

I am sure glad I just go fishing in an old flat bottom row boat:D I did use to have a sky boat about 20 years ago but I got banned from the lake due to excessive speed??? I am sorry I never saw a no wake sign!
    But I got double of what I paid for it so it was all good.
    Franc Kaiser and basepaint like this.