HP trigger in CM

AndreZA

Air-Valve Autobot!
Last night I watched some of the Olympos videos from Frank Artale and in the SP video he mentioned the shorter trigger. The whole world is going taller but I like the short ones. Even Dru Blair now uses a shortened version made by Marcus Eisenhuth. The Olympos ones are available to order separately.

And looking at them I noticed that the HP shafts look a lot like the CM ones but with different heads. I took out my quite old HP-B and installed it into the Micron. Perfect fit. I measured it it was just a hair width shorter. But the biggest difference was how nice the flat and textured top felt. This is just my opinion seeing that I only use the tip of my finger on the edge of the trigger.

Now if I can get that design for my Eclipses it would be great. A bit of OCD kicking in there.

hp_triger_in_cm_sml.jpg

Last edited:
Shorter ?? I order the taller trigger after using a hp-b trigger on mine it made me feel like I lost control so I just order the taller one for the micro that has the same head design on it .But I am glad you posted it up so others can try .

Im confused by the shorter - more control statement but as I haven't tried it I no no opinion! Seems illogical captain

Im confused by the shorter - more control statement but as I haven't tried it I no no opinion! Seems illogical captain

I was confused by this also. In class Dru said shorter was better, that the taller trigger thing was a myth. To me, the mechanics of taller seems like more travel = more precision.
I think it depends on how you hold the airbrush.... I think I may still be a little confused. But I do like the trigger style of the classic HP's. My hiline has this style trigger.

Being I'm kind of new to the airbrush( 2 years) I have to say I like the lower trigger I think because that's what I learned on, I tried the taller trigger but didn't like that I had to pull back further to get the same amount of paint jmho

I think it does depend on how you hold your airbrush . For me longer lever move with Less force ,
Short lever more force needed to move it . that is just basic physics
Fe = (1 lb) (1 (ft) / (2 ft)
or
Fe = (1 kg) (9.81 m/s2) (1 m) / (2 m)
but the shorter the lever or trigger in this case the more force you need at the pivot point (Needle) to make it move .
and more distance that the travel will be to get to full open .
But everyone has their own thoughts on this and if you like it than life is good.
I was just saying I have tried the shorter trigger on my micro and I did not like the feel of it or the control I got for my style of airbrushing . THe taller trigger seemed to give me better control .
So I suggest for anyone to try it and form their own opinion on what works better for them .

Being I'm kind of new to the airbrush( 2 years) I have to say I like the lower trigger I think because that's what I learned on, I tried the taller trigger but didn't like that I had to pull back further to get the same amount of paint jmho
Im finding that I only use about 3mm of travel, if i need more paint I use a bigger gun! This whole topic has me wondering, hence why I ordered the Kustom Micron with the taller trigger, Craig Fraser replied to some questions about it and he said it allowed for more finese, my gun should of arrived today but Iwata messed up so it will be next week now:(

Im finding that I only use about 3mm of travel, if i need more paint I use a bigger gun! This whole topic has me wondering, hence why I ordered the Kistom Micron with the taller trigger, Craig Fraser replied to some questions about it and he said it allowed for more finese, my gun should of arrived today but Iwata messed up so it will be next week now:(
Craig is also the reason I went from trying just the shorter one to the taller one.
But what I was saying about wide open was for clearing out the cup and cleaning. Not so much on the painting part.
Maybe is I can find some time I will make a video to compare them , That might not be until first part of next year being my plate is running over with things I need to get finished before the snow flies LOL

I use triggers from HPs in micron as I don't like that flat square V2 trigger. But I figured out that short trigger with polyurethane pad is great thing, that make short trigger not that short:) Generally, I think HP-C trigger would be better for many people to use in their microns B, C and probably C+, but not in Kustom Micron (that one with tall cup) as it has another type of trigger (with air valve piston mounted).
I stand for taller triggers mostly, but for CM-SB I prefer that one I've custom made. It's the shortest among my AB triggers, because of the way of holding SB model, but not that short as stock HPs short trigger.

I think a lot of it comes down to the hand that's using it. Larger hands may feel more comfort with the taller trigger.
Strangely enough I've got girly hands, but I've no problem with short or tall triggers and I would think that if you're using a tall trigger for any amount of time then with the greater length of travel required it would lead to quicker fatigue :confused:
. . . Over to you @Squishy :D

Dru posted on facebook that his shorter trigger gave more control :)

I got to see his trigger in person. It almost touches the body of the brush when pressed! Can't get any lower than that. I prefer gravity fed, so shorter seems ideal for more clearance for my finger between the trigger & cup. I like the tip of my finger to go past the trigger, with the first joint cradling the back of the trigger. Prevents me from pulling back much.

I think a lot of it comes down to the hand that's using it. Larger hands may feel more comfort with the taller trigger.
Strangely enough I've got girly hands, but I've no problem with short or tall triggers and I would think that if you're using a tall trigger for any amount of time then with the greater length of travel required it would lead to quicker fatigue :confused:
. . . Over to you @Squishy :D
Here comes the gutterlollollollol

I love the short version and the instant response a short trigger gives you , it was only because of the loss of fine movement in my trigger finger that made me use a slightly taller V2 trigger as it gives me a better grip and it compensates my loss off control

Back