Huge Coleman compressor...Can I use it?

A

AK_EO12

Hi all! I'm trying to get all of my supplies so I can start airbrushing helmets. I apologize if this is a really dumb question, but can I use this air compressor for my airbrush? I've attached a picture of the label on the side.

It's a 21 gallon Coleman Powermate 'Premium' Air compressor. My dad uses it for the truck/trailer tires.
I'm sorry I don't have a better picture of the hoses/attachments ATM (will post it once I get home).

My two questions are: 1) Can I even use this thing?! 2) Will the pressure be too high to do smaller detailed work?

FYI I'm wanting to use this to paint helmets mainly.

Thanks in advance! (P.S. If I'm asking a ridiculously naive and dumb question try not to tear me apart too much! TY).
IMG_6019.jpeg

I do not see why not, just make sure to get a moisture trap for the airbrush end of the hose.
The airbrush line will screw right on the male adapter for the tanks quick disconnect.
almost all compressor like that one have a dail you can turn to gauge the pressure going into the line .
So you just need it set to 25 to 30 psi and after a while and learning to reduce your paint can even dail it down lower .

You can absolutely use it but like Micron said you will want a moisture trap otherwise water will find its way into your airbrush and bugger (as those Europeans say) your artwork. :)

I beg to differ. If you ash me where's my beer and you're holding it. That's a dumb question. Lol.

In reference to airbrushing and paint, the really important thing in all our lives, nope, no dumb question.
If you ask me where MY beer...of course Im holding MY beer lolol..that is a dumb
question lolol

If you ask me where MY beer...of course Im holding MY beer lolol..that is a dumb
question lolol
Never a dumb question. If I ask where is my beer? and I'm holding beer - that just means I want more beer! Don't want to run the risk of going dry, need to get the next one lined up and ready to go. Nothing dumb about that :D

Just to reiterate what the others have said, you will need a moisture trap and I would check to see if it has a regulator. if not i would get one of those too so you can reduce the pressure down to a lower level for the AB.

Lee

As Lee says, this compressor will DEFINATELY drive your airbrush [ and probably a few more, as well ] but you will need a moisture trap or 2 in the line.
It's residual moisture that is the greatest enemy of this system, heat being the second.
The more you can reduce either or both, the better.
Noise levels will be one factor, but if you can either reduce them or locate the compressor somewhere it's not going to bother you on start-up.
My original [ industrial ] one frightened me so bad I almost dropped my airbrush and sprayed paint all over the place, the first time I attempted to use it!
The bonus of a larger unit is that the drag of air from the storage tank will be longer between refills - more paint time for you between top ups - as the airbrush set at lower pressure than the tank will take more time to get to switch on point.

Back