HVLP for clear coat.

Draxden

Double Actioner
Hey guys! It's been a while since I've been on here! I've been extremely busy with my business, and have not really had any time to do anything lol. However I've been trying to look into getting an HVLP gun for clear coating my controllers. I'm not 100% satisfied with the outcome of my clear coats. While they do look up to par with what I'm expecting of myself, they are not hardening enough for me. Because they are just your typical aerosol automotive clear coats. They hold up well, but I'm looking to make my items even better. However I'm ignorant when it comes to HVLP. I know absolutely nothing about them, I've posted on here before about HVLP guns, and was told for the size of the project, that I would be better off with a mini HVLP gun.

So basically if anyone could give me some suggestions of brand names that are not to expensive, but are decent quality. I'm looking to spend like $300 maybe, on both a compressor and gun if possible. I've got a cheap one in mind if I can't for the time being. BUt I would rather go with something of higher quality.

Thanks in advance guys!

A cheap 8gallon 2hp compressor will just get you by running an LVLP mini gun and run about $125
Astro europro mini is a fantastic budget gun at $100 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HZBX14...wD&pd_rd_r=CJRZGNJSSP9FWHSJM304&pd_rd_w=wBd1y
With some shopping you can get an LPH-50 for about $160
Both of these guns while commonly referered to as hvlp are in fact LVLP

If you shop a used compressor then at around $250 you could snag a lph-80 or an RG-3 or used SATA mini-jet.

Heres a review of the best 8 mini-guns

Number 8 star s 106 is the actually the same thing as the astro i mentioned.

For someone who hasn't been spraying daily for years all 8 of these are going to be basically the same.
The reason I'd recommend the astro over the others, aside from price is that most of the pros complaints about them is that they are slow and don't pump the material very fast. Which I would call a great advantage for your situation in particular.

Lastly I would tell anyone it doesn't hurt to try a HF purple mini-gun for $12, they're a diamond in the rough. I have always reached for them almost nearly as often as i've reached for the lph50's the shops I worked for owned and didn't find a huge difference. (certainly not a $230 difference)

Last edited:
While you generally want a compressor that can do double your CFM required, 9-12cfm is not going to be in your budget.
5.5cfm will be and will get you by with an LVLP gun
especially since you aren't intending to be spraying a whole set of door jambs at once, just a few controllers.
If it were me I'd grab an astro europro evo-t 1.3 and whatever compressor will give me 5.5cfm
I'd probably even shop a used compressor and look for a belt drive.

My .8 gun is this guy and I love it....Might even be better for you since your work is small.
https://www.amazon.com/Astro-HVLPD5...d=1513131349&sr=1-1&keywords=astro+mini+spray

Last edited:
SATA Minijet or Iwata LPH - 80 is what I would recommend for your needs. You can sometimes find both of those guns used for a steal if you search around.

You can spend less and replace equipment every few years for a variety of reasons, or you can spend more now and have superior equipment that will last your lifetime if taken care of properly. When it comes to spray guns you get what you pay for.

While I pretty much agree with wickedart.
I've got an astro I've had 4 yrs that was used 12hrs a day at a sea ray assembly plant, spraying gel coat, for 3 years prior to my buying it. I'd call that most peoples lifetime worth of spraying and then some. Wasn't real well taken care of either, every nook and cranny of the outside still has gel stuck in it.
It was what made me a fan of them. That and basically every scenic shop I dealt with called them the industry favorite. Later found out that they are mainly high quality SATA and Iwata copies, although they have had a couple of their own little innovations too.
I think sometimes you pay for a name.

I'd still favor a LPH80 though too if it fell into the budget but i don't like used guns (50/50 it ends up costing as much as new). Just for the simplicity of getting rebuild parts.
Astro changes models more frequently and sometimes will use the same name but different model# for a gun and can get a little confusing if you ever need to repair one. Though for me by that time theres usually a newer better model out no matter the brand you go with.

Yeah Sata mini jet, is really nice. I'm running Sharpe finex and devilbiss starting line minis, and full size sata ALSO a no name junk for primer. I read the astros are great. Still want to try one. Your going into a whole new ball game with this stuff. Clear can be the bane of many painters. It's nasty too, be sure you are vented and ppe.

It would also be worth grabbing a spraymax aerosol 2k to do a couple of controllers and try it before you invest in a whole system for 2k.
I'm definitely going to get ahold of that ANI r-150-t here in a couple months.
They're expensive here. But I've got a friend willing to ship me one, theyre half the price in europe.

Wow, you guys are awesome. Thank you for all of the advice concerning the guns. As for the spraymax 2k, I have looked into that, but unfortunately that would cause me to increase the price of all of my items by more than I would like to. If I have something aerosol I would much prefer a longer shelf life than just 48 hours. At least with the 2k set up, I can mix the amount I need, and be done with it, rather than spend $20-25 I think is how much it is on each controller for the clear coat if I don't get them back ot back.

I'm really looking in the astro evot13 europro. If I can run it using a smaller compressor that would be fantastic considering the amount of space I have to do this on my balcony. So since this is a LVLP gun, I don't have to worry about trying to double the CFM right? Just the 5.5 or maybe a little higher would do?

Wow, you guys are awesome. Thank you for all of the advice concerning the guns. As for the spraymax 2k, I have looked into that, but unfortunately that would cause me to increase the price of all of my items by more than I would like to. If I have something aerosol I would much prefer a longer shelf life than just 48 hours. At least with the 2k set up, I can mix the amount I need, and be done with it, rather than spend $20-25 I think is how much it is on each controller for the clear coat if I don't get them back ot back.

I'm really looking in the astro evot13 europro. If I can run it using a smaller compressor that would be fantastic considering the amount of space I have to do this on my balcony. So since this is a LVLP gun, I don't have to worry about trying to double the CFM right? Just the 5.5 or maybe a little higher would do?

I actually confused the models because of looking at star brand too much
astro evo-t is actually a full sized gun, needing 10-12cfm . The star uses the evo-t name for their mini.
Same guns but like I said they can be confusing. Sometimes american astros have star right on the gun.
If you want to spray continuously on a 5.5
This is the mini that is the same as the one in the video
http://www.spraygunworld.com/products/Astro/Euro HVLP-HVT1 Mini.html
It uses 4.5 cfm and a 5.5cfm compressor will keep up with it in basically any situation where your not trying to use the gun to paint a full car or something.
The reason you normally try to double is because if I were spraying this gun on a 5.5 cfm compressor for 45 minutes straight, the compressor would run almost constantly, heat up, cause moisture, and not last a long time.
Your sprays even if you got doing something the size of a door would only take a few minutes at a time.
Sorry, I screwed that up.
.8 or 1.0 will work for most 2k clears.
Check the spec sheet for the clear you intend to use. If it calls for 1.3 in a full size gun then a 1.0 in mini will be perfect.

I was gonna get the hvt1 to replace my 508 which is starting to show its age. Now I'm a little torn because I can get that ANI for 160. If its as good as gunman rated it , that would be killer.
I've tried the euros and they are better than my 508 ever was.
But for an extra 50 bucks over a euro mini for something that's supposed to outperform the minijet.... Sounds nice.
I'd also like to try the atomx gun for full size, not sure though since iwata has dropped the w400 down to like 210.
Odd brands like ANI or atomx can be a pain to get a part should I ever need one.
Astros are nice and cheap and not hard to get anything you want for them. Spraygunworld will bend over backwards for you if you've got any of the lines they sell.

I actually confused the models because of looking at star brand too much
astro evo-t is actually a full sized gun, needing 10-12cfm . The star uses the evo-t name for their mini.
Same guns but like I said they can be confusing. Sometimes american astros have star right on the gun.
If you want to spray continuously on a 5.5
This is the mini that is the same as the one in the video
http://www.spraygunworld.com/products/Astro/Euro HVLP-HVT1 Mini.html
It uses 4.5 cfm and a 5.5cfm compressor will keep up with it in basically any situation where your not trying to use the gun to paint a full car or something.
The reason you normally try to double is because if I were spraying this gun on a 5.5 cfm compressor for 45 minutes straight, the compressor would run almost constantly, heat up, cause moisture, and not last a long time.
Your sprays even if you got doing something the size of a door would only take a few minutes at a time.
Sorry, I screwed that up.
.8 or 1.0 will work for most 2k clears.
Check the spec sheet for the clear you intend to use. If it calls for 1.3 in a full size gun then a 1.0 in mini will be perfect.

That sounds fantastic! I'll probably end up going with this one then. Now when it comes to the 2k itself, do I need to worry about compatibility? I use mostly Wicked Colors, and Tamiya paints. Is there anything in particular I need to pay attention to before buying clear? I know lacquer doesn't really like other paint bases. But that's about it.

That sounds fantastic! I'll probably end up going with this one then. Now when it comes to the 2k itself, do I need to worry about compatibility? I use mostly Wicked Colors, and Tamiya paints. Is there anything in particular I need to pay attention to before buying clear? I know lacquer doesn't really like other paint bases. But that's about it.

I don't know much about tamiya paints other than that they have several kinds and i think some are enamel , some enamels with some 2ks are the only things i've ever seen react badly.
Sometimes there is an occasional 2k / base reaction but basically noone will be able to tell you for sure.
Outside of using a system thats designed to be compatible all the way from primer to clear there is no way of really knowing.
That disclaimer out of the way....It's a rarity to discover a serious incompatibility these days, even with enamels once theyre cured.

If I remember right I did see something on the createx website about not clearing directly over autoborne sealer and that it had to be covered with wicked or auto air first.

Otherwise, something small like this, I would't worry about compatibility, you won't be out a fortune on the odd chance you discover a problem.
If you're worried use what someone else uses over tamiya.

Get some desiccant packs to throw inside a normal water trap that mounts to your compressor.
Use a little 15 foot hose and you should be good to go.
Desiccant snakes would be perfect too.

Last edited:
Sgw emailed me, said he's out of stock....bogus
That sucks! I found out sprayguns direct ships to the US and shouldn't be any import dues if its under 800 bucks So i may well be getting that ANI at $120
Idk though I dig my Astros.
Are they supposed to be getting more HVT1's?

Back